New kid hauler

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I always thought this was a pretty stupid car, but in retrospect, it was just marketed wrong with a couple erroneous design elements. Massive inside, fast with the 365 hp TT V6, comfortably will seat 6 with great visibility everywhere. It's also ludicrously quiet. I am converted after 100 miles. Traded in an Explorer for it, and this is clearly a much better "gang hauler." It's awesome how fast it is right off the bat. Quite certain that this is faster than the first V8 Mustang I had. Also looks significantly better with the new front end.

580712_2921367674519_1270620467_32064954_787425800_n.jpg

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
The Flex got a great facelift -- makes a huge difference in appearance. It is a 'sleeper' in the performance dept.

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Is that a custom front end or an improved factory version? I think the 365 TT V6 is fabulous!

1434gt

GT Owner
Aug 29, 2006
it looks like a vette killer

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Is that a custom front end or an improved factory version? I think the 365 TT V6 is fabulous!

That's the new OEM front end. Major, major improvement. The old one didn't fit. It was like they designed the car and then were told "Hey, you have to fit the corporate tri-bar deal in here."

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
What a difference a face lift makes. That looks great Dave. Still not sure I'd want one over an Explorer, but with that new nose, it's worth a look. Love your black out baby wagon. Cool ride.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Thanks. The Explorer is a great car, this is just more practical for carrying around kids and the stuff that comes with them. Easier to get stuff in and out of, less painful for people to get to the back seat. If it was just for me, I would take the Explorer Sport now that they offer the TT 3.5L in that as well. If it was this with the TT vs the NA Explorer...well, the moment I put my foot in the throttle of this one, that notion went out the window.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Sorry, still looks like a kiddy car.... the kind of car to hang with the Scion crowd.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Dave, 2 VERY important facts that have helped you understand this car.... Your getting older, and waaaay more important, you have a kiddo! No one drives convenient cars like this or mini vans, with out these factors!

Great car though, it is amazing how big it is, with out looking like a true mini van.

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
We need a Cube TT.

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
We own its sister Lincoln, the MKT with the same TTV6. Its amazing how much bigger it is than the Explorer inside. Wife was looking at a new Explorer last year and we did not like last years Flex at all. But one test drive of the EB MKT and we were sold, even with the 'questionable front grill' on the Lincoln. We might go for the Explorer were we to look this year but its much smaller.

DBK, your new Flex looks GREAT! is that a Limited? and do they offer the refigerator and the heated and COOLED rear seats in the Flex now?

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Thanks. It is a limited with the Titanium appearance package. The titanium package gets you a pair of stolen wheels from a McLaren MP4-12C.

mclaren_mp412c_navarra_031.jpg

RV King

GT Owner
Mar 20, 2007
Laguna Beach, CA
Sorry, still looks like a kiddy car.... the kind of car to hang with the Scion crowd.

Couldn't agree with you more. The Germans have nailed the SUV family haulers.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Took it to Chicago and back. 560 miles, ran about mostly 75-82 averaged about 22 mpg. The valet at the hotel this morning said "this thing is pretty fast," which really begs the question "how do you know?" :lol

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Took it to Chicago and back. 560 miles, ran about mostly 75-82 averaged about 22 mpg. The valet at the hotel this morning said "this thing is pretty fast," which really begs the question "how do you know?" :lol

You could have done it with a Prius and got over 45 mpg! :lol

Of course the valet wouldn't have said anything about the speed of the thing.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Bueller...... Bueller......

The valet at the hotel this morning said "this thing is pretty fast," which really begs the question "how do you know?" :lol

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Very cool family car there Dave. I got stuck having to buy a couple Dodge minivans back in the 80s and 90s...
Are those wheels the same as the 20 inch wheels available on the Taurus SHO? I'm getting ready to order one soon.