New guy in FL searching for red or silver 05/06

GTinTN

GT Owner
Jan 17, 2019
Brentwood, TN
Congratulations on your purchase! Looking forward to seeing the pics!
You said you considered a Viper. I owned a Gen IV Viper ACR, just recently sold it. The Viper is a fun and powerful car and I enjoyed owning it for almost 4 years. There are a number of similarities between it and the GT (both approx. 600HP, both have six speeds and similar shift points, both are capable of more than 200mph, etc.), but there are also lots of differences. The Ford GT really is a true super car. It is quieter than the Viper when both are stock, the GT is a better balanced and handling car and the fit and finish is greatly superior.
If you ever want to discuss, just let me know.

Reactions: extrap

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Congratulations on your purchase! Looking forward to seeing the pics!
You said you considered a Viper. I owned a Gen IV Viper ACR, just recently sold it. The Viper is a fun and powerful car and I enjoyed owning it for almost 4 years. There are a number of similarities between it and the GT (both approx. 600HP, both have six speeds and similar shift points, both are capable of more than 200mph, etc.), but there are also lots of differences. The Ford GT really is a true super car. It is quieter than the Viper when both are stock, the GT is a better balanced and handling car and the fit and finish is greatly superior.
If you ever want to discuss, just let me know.

Everything you said about the Viper agrees with what I concluded by reading and watching. Never even rode in one. I'd obviously be way less concerned about racking up miles on a Viper, but the GT is just so hot damn bad ass cool! :LOL:

Thanks for the offer to discuss 🍻 Can .. not .. wait .. . .

Cadster

GT Owner
May 21, 2017
Yes! 🍻 Purchase made Wednesday! (y) I'll post details and pix once it's in my possession - I already don't feel worthy(!) and don't wanna jinx it! o_O Might be a couple weeks :cry: or more 😭

Super excited, obviously, but I ended up with a very very low mileage, near-perfect GT .. still smells like new leather inside .. owner kept it in climate controlled garage under its cover, windows up, even still has the delivery decals and tags .. and I now I gotta make sure I can actually stand to tear that stuff off and drive it! o_Oo_O I might have to move my bed out to the garage! Maybe I shoulda bought something with a few thousand miles, or hell even 20K, but this one is so nice I couldn't pass it up.

I was about to post a pic to see if you guys can figure out which one it is, location, seller, etc just from this pic, but can't upload pix (yet?) .. maybe since I still have non-owner status, not sure .. but I'll post 'em when I can, with VIN since I think I read where that's required.

This is going to be a loooong, slow 2-3 weeks. Good thing I'm super busy at work.

Congrats! Can’t wait to hear about all the details. Perfect cure for COVID boredom. You’re going to love it.

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Congratulations. You have to drive it, not very fun only looking at it. I have one (not GT) car with only 10 miles, under cover. When I have time, it is going down the road and being replaced with a driver. However, if you have a museum type shop, no miles cars would be great to show.

I had the same non-owner status attachment limitation. I sent a PM to the administrator requesting that my account be unrestricted, noting my GT ownership. He changed my account to where I can now add attachments.

Send pics as soon as you can.

I have no museum type shop, and no interest in one either. A couple times in my life I've been in vehicle museums, and while cool to look at briefly I wanna see and feel motion. I really doubt I'd be able to have the same restraint as the previous owner, and I don't realistically think I'll even have that in mind after the first few miles start rolling on, which is definitely going to happen. I wanna go. Not just look.

Thanks for the info on acct status and PMing admin (y)

Did I mention . I . can . NOT . . WAIT ? ?

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Congrats!

The file size is likely too large, try using MS paint (or something similar) to shrink the size to under 1000 pixels height and width

but can't upload pix (yet?) .. maybe since I still have non-owner status, not sure ..

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Congrats!

The file size is likely too large, try using MS paint (or something similar) to shrink the size to under 1000 pixels height and width

Figured it out. So here it is! OK, I'm sure I'm way more excited than you guys ...
-gt1.jpg

GTinTN

GT Owner
Jan 17, 2019
Brentwood, TN
Great looking car - I obviously like your color choice!

MJSFRX

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 26, 2010
Carlsbad, CA
Congrats Enjoy!

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
Strong work extrap!

You found the car you want, Congratulations!

All of us here had/have the unbridled enthusiasm you have now.

Be safe, enjoy the moment and enjoy your FGT!

Reactions: Cadster and extrap

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Thanks a lot, all! Our driveway is too narrow for a big rig, so I've started looking for delivery locations. A retail parking lot right next to the I-75 offramp looks like a decent candidate. Consists of 2 or 3 small and seemingly struggling businesses, so never very many cars. And it's right behind a Taco Bell. I'll have to resist the urge to drive my new-to-me GT thru their drivethru. I think I'll be able to resist :censored:😁

partssmann

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 1, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona
Congrats and also agree on the color choice. Always turn car on and wait to start car until dash odometer has lighted.

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Congrats and also agree on the color choice. Always turn car on and wait to start car until dash odometer has lighted.

Thanks! 🍻 oh and what's the issue with starting after the odometer has lit? I just read the manual's starting procedure and I don't see that.

Cadster

GT Owner
May 21, 2017
Thanks a lot, all! Our driveway is too narrow for a big rig, so I've started looking for delivery locations. A retail parking lot right next to the I-75 offramp looks like a decent candidate. Consists of 2 or 3 small and seemingly struggling businesses, so never very many cars. And it's right behind a Taco Bell. I'll have to resist the urge to drive my new-to-me GT thru their drivethru. I think I'll be able to resist :censored:😁

Looks great! Congrats again. If you do drive it, make sure you have a tank full of fresh gas. When I recently acquired my Viper ACR that only had 18 miles on it, I drove it and didn’t get to the gas station quick enough to prevent a CEL. The good news is, no damage, but it scared the crap out of me. It does not take much, I never went past 1/4 throttle and never exceeded 3000rpm. Maybe take 5 gallons with you...

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Looks great! Congrats again. If you do drive it, make sure you have a tank full of fresh gas. When I recently acquired my Viper ACR that only had 18 miles on it, I drove it and didn’t get to the gas station quick enough to prevent a CEL. The good news is, no damage, but it scared the crap out of me. It does not take much, I never went past 1/4 throttle and never exceeded 3000rpm. Maybe take 5 gallons with you...

Thanks! And OK re fuel .. will make sure it's got gas before heading anywhere. The drop-off spot I have in mind is literally 2 block from 4 stations (y)

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Order up some Bridgestones.

Car looks great enjoy!

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
^^^ What he said.

Congratulations. Car looks fantastic.

Reactions: DanielJ and extrap

Kpgarage

GT Owner
Mar 17, 2019
Extrap, congrats on your purchase. I know you will enjoy the car. We are located down in the Orlando area so hopefully will will meet soon. We also have a Saturday morning informal driving group that has a good collection of different cars. We typically drive up into lake, Marion and Sumter county and you might want to meet us and enjoy the roads. I have not studied all the posts on this thread but presume there’s lots of good advice already posted. My only add-on is this. Watch the door and your head getting in and out. We all bang it at least once and if your car has the Goodyear super car tires then I’d suggest pulling them. There are multiple suggestions and tire threads on this forum with good tire suggestions. I’m an original owner (red) and so is my son (heritage). Everyone has their opinions about these cars but I will simply say that it is probably the best driving car I’ve ever driven. Even 15 years later it’s an absolute treat every single time I take it out.

Reactions: Cadster and extrap

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Figured it out. So here it is! OK, I'm sure I'm way more excited than you guys ...
-gt1.jpg
As you will discover . This car never gets old !
It’s a shear pleasure every time you open your garage! I have owned mine since 2006 !
Just as fresh as day one

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Extrap, congrats on your purchase. I know you will enjoy the car. We are located down in the Orlando area so hopefully will will meet soon. We also have a Saturday morning informal driving group that has a good collection of different cars. We typically drive up into lake, Marion and Sumter county and you might want to meet us and enjoy the roads. I have not studied all the posts on this thread but presume there’s lots of good advice already posted. My only add-on is this. Watch the door and your head getting in and out. We all bang it at least once and if your car has the Goodyear super car tires then I’d suggest pulling them. There are multiple suggestions and tire threads on this forum with good tire suggestions. I’m an original owner (red) and so is my son (heritage). Everyone has their opinions about these cars but I will simply say that it is probably the best driving car I’ve ever driven. Even 15 years later it’s an absolute treat every single time I take it out.

Thanks for the words and the meetup offer! I'd def be interested in doing that. Send me your info so we can get in touch 🍻

Oh, it will have new tires before it gets here (y)

Reactions: Cadster

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
Congrats and welcome! It is a beautiful car. Like others have said on the tire upgrade, DO IT!!! as well as a complete fluid change if it hasn’t been done already.
Also as a new owner, avoid the temptation to drive it aggressively until you get a good feel for the power. Remember, this car has no traction control and has different handling characteristics of a front engine car. Power ramps up quickly when it boosts.
Another note is the transmission. It’s one of the best shifting transmissions I’ve ever shifted, but it does have one mild quirk. Until it nears operating temperature, you may find it grinds going into 2nd. I either shift 1 to 3 or shift 1-3-2 to hit second gear until warm. You’ll also find out 2nd gear is torquey and is where the “magic” happens. Make sure your pointed straight when you lay into the throttle!
I hope this helps, enjoy!!

Reactions: extrap and Cadster