New GT owner in AZ

FGT899

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 10, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
After months of searching, I finally brought my new GT home this week. All of your posts and insight gave me more than enough info to make an educated purchase - thank you all. After selling the Z06 and Cobra, I decided it was time to buy my "Eleanor" as an early 30th birthday gift (maybe my last gift ever, but it's already worth it!).
Thanks to the help of Dex at Ford in Scottsdale, I found this 2006 Tungsten 3800 mile near flawless GT here in AZ. I've been smiling for a week straight.

There are some questions I have for anyone that can help...

1. First on the list is a clear bra. Is there any downside to doing
the entire front end including the fenders & below the doors & mirrors?

2. The exhaust is stock aside from the FRPP mufflers. They are too docile. It sounds like the cat deletes won't be much more than what I have now. I'm looking into some FRPP headers - are they still obtainable, and if so, where's the best place to get them? Are these the correct ones below, or did FRPP headers differ from Borla headers?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Borla-Heade...Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d15a4c71a&vxp=mtr

3. Does anyone use the Stillen Splash Guards? How do their splitters/diffusers compare OEM?

Thank you!

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Welcome and congrats. 30th b-day present. Yikes.

1) Common to do this. No issues. Highly recommend
2) Yes, still obtainable. PM Muscle Motors here on the forum (MMP Inc.). Ford Racing and Borla one and the same. Latter will just not have the Ford stamp on them. Long tubes into an FRPP muffler will be loud, but if you want 'obnoxious' loud, get the rear exit setup. It's the best:)
3) Can't help with 3

Several GT's in Phoenix, many owners here on the forum.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
This should answer most of your questions!
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?19880-For-the-newbies&highlight=newbies
FYI Y you will never stop smiling!
Congrats on your New GT !
Come join us at a rally for the total FGT experience! Just awesome!

partssmann

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 1, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona
I thought there was something in the water here in Scottsdale Az as we were both searching for an FGT at the same time. We crossed paths a few times but we both ended up with the car we wanted. I have heard and driven both headers/FR muffler and stock manifolds/accufab. Prefer the stock manifolds and accufab or stillen. Did not like the added cabin noise from the headers imo but did sound good out the back. Have heard of several FGT owners pulling the headers because of added cabin noise. We will see you at the next Scottsdale Cars & Coffee.

Last edited:

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I peronally like the GT guys muffler .Not to loud ,just right !

SFGT

GT Owner
Oct 23, 2012
Congrats

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I've got the Ford long tube headers, and the Ford (Borla) racing "muffler". Pretty quiet around town - really loud (awesome) at WOT. Highly recommended

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Congratulations and welcome!

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
I've got the Ford long tube headers, and the Ford (Borla) racing "muffler". Pretty quiet around town - really loud (awesome) at WOT. Highly recommended

For a non-turbo FGT this is the best sounding combo in my opinion.

Chip

peiserg

GT Owner
Aug 15, 2010
Phoenix, az
i've heard headers and open exhaust (which is most of them...) is REALLY loud... just fyi... if that's what you want, fine... but i've heard its REALLY LOUD. My stock exhaust with the bob ida X-pipe sounds perfect to me... and it is deafening from behind... i can't imagine throwing headers on...
im sure the people with open windows and convertibles think i'm a major Ahole for blasting past them under WOT... that car is seriously loud from behind...

of course.. i do it on purpose every time i see a convertible... lol...

Last edited:

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Congratulations and welcome aboard!! Enjoy the car as much as you can! :thumbsup

SFGT

GT Owner
Oct 23, 2012
Beware that the Ford Racing headers are not compatible with cats, so if you need to pass an emissions test in AZ to register your car you need to take that into consideration. And yes they are very loud when set up with the rear exit resonators

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Welcome you find everything you need here on the forum.

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
I have the Stillen splash guards. If you drive the car much they are very worthwhile. They nearly disappear as they fit so well into the body lines but do keep the sides and rear of the car much cleaner. They fit very well.

On the exhaust, I run the Ford cat delete muffler and an accufab X pipe and its pretty loud when you hit the right pedal. Love the sound. Many options here and while there are variances in the sounds, they mostly all sound pretty good.

GT Tech

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 13, 2006
Kingman, Arizona
Welcome to the fold. It was great meeting you at C & C in Scottsdale last month. Glad you found "The One".

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Welcome!

MJSFRX

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 26, 2010
Carlsbad, CA
Congrats. Great color choice. Enjoy her and Merry Christmas

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
+1 on Still splash guards, I picked them up at Stillen at Rally 2. Been on car ever since. Hard to notice (especially for me with a black car). I did not do the diffusers. I think the extended ones (if still available) look strange. The OEM length are fine, but again, I did not go with these.

I too had Borla with stock cats, and manifolds. Too quiet. Heffner x-pipe is good enough for me while still having OEM cats and manifolds.

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
Welcome!

Your tungsten car looks elegant!!

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Congratulations!

I also have the Stillen splash guards. I permanently installed the rears, but only use the fronts on long drives and on the track. Well made and fit great.