GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Ps. Nice shot!

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
Welcome! My GT will be coming to Arizona in January to enjoy the Orange Blossoms and mild temperatures for a few months. We ought to all get together and rip White Spar Road!
The best is yet to come!

I have the X pipe only and love the sound. Mellow, sounds factory to me after seven years :)

The clear guard is a must imho. I had the entire front end done, along with the rockers, rear flanks, and behind the rear tires.

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
One of my favourite colours on the GT! Enjoy!!!

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Welcome.
Beautiful car!
Best,
Mark

FGT899

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 10, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Thanks for all the info! It looks like I have a lot of online shopping to do. My list is now extensive..

Chip (or anyone in AZ) - what are the smog laws here? I haven't had a smog done in AZ in about 5 years but never had a problem running straight pipes to magna flows on another car I had. Have the laws changed?
Ideally I want to run headers to the ford racing exhaust. How much more work is it to install the headers to FR vs swapping out the FR exhaust to an X pipe?

partssmann

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 1, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona
When I registered my FGT here in AZ was able to get Collector Car status, limited mileage, and asked that this means no emissions testing. Having done this work on a friends FGT, the stock muffler removal and x-pipe install was an easy job but we also had the belly pan/diffusers off at the time for clutch work. Only trick was to roll muffler out the top and know where to install new x-pipe brackets as no instructions came with accufab.

Last edited:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
How about some details of registering the GT in Arizona? One of my short term options might land us back in the Valley. Two questions:

1. What is the deal with collector car status on the GT? Normally that's reserved for older vehicles.

2. How much are plates? What is the algorithm for determining the rate? My CO plates seemed to have bottomed out at about $850. They start off high (when new) and then go down to some residual value.

NavyVet

GT Owner
Nov 27, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
Welcome and great color choice :)! I have the Heffner exhaust which I think sounds great.

To get collector status, just need a letter from your insurance company and present it at DMV.

Hope to see you at a C&C soon. I think there is one at Penske Museum this Saturday.

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
Welcome and Congrats.

Vince H

dtomaso1

GT Owner
Dec 6, 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
How about some details of registering the GT in Arizona? One of my short term options might land us back in the Valley. Two questions:

1. What is the deal with collector car status on the GT? Normally that's reserved for older vehicles.

2. How much are plates? What is the algorithm for determining the rate? My CO plates seemed to have bottomed out at about $850. They start off high (when new) and then go down to some residual value.

Registering in AZ:

Obtain a letter from insurance carrier that the car is insured as a specialty and/or collector vehicle. Take that letter to DMV and they will waive smog testing no matter what the year of the vehicle is. I am told that there is some sort of internal cross check between the DMV and the insurance carrier to prevent fake letters.

The annual registration fee is based upon the original base price window sticker, then reduced annually. I am paying roughly $1000 for a 2006 GT in 2013. The algorithm is as follows:

Vehicle registration fees include a $4.50, $8.00, or $9.00 registration fee (depending on the type of vehicle); an air quality fee of $1.50; an air quality compliance fee of .25 (depending on the location the vehicle is being operated in); and a vehicle license tax (VLT) assessed in place of a personal property tax charged by other states. The VLT is based on an assessed value of 60% of the manufacturer's base retail price reduced by 16.25% for each year since the vehicle was first registered in Arizona (15% before 8/1/98). Then, as of the Dec 1, 2000 reduction, the rate is calculated as $2.80 (new vehicles)/$2.89 (used vehicles) for each $100 of the assessed value.

For example, for a new vehicle that costs $25,000, and is registered for two years, the first year assessed value would be $15,000 and the VLT would be $420.00. The second year the assessed value would be $12,562.50 and the VLT would be $363.06. Other fees may apply when a vehicle is registered commercially.

Best, Tom

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
No real benefit to long tube headers on the street unless you just like that sound. Too loud IMO. All combos are different. (for now) keep stock headers, cats and do an X pipe (keep the Borla on the shelf, it's a collector piece), makes a great note. You can add/change/delete as you go along. Cat deletes make a rather harsh resonance IMO. I have them now and plan to go back to cats when I quit tracking the car.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I agree to loud for street use. If you want your significant other to go for rides and be able to talk to you, skip the headers.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
If you want your significant other to go for rides and be able to talk to you, skip the headers.

Sounds like a strong argument in favor of the headers.

Seriously, the header/FRPP muffler combination is plenty quiet enough for the street if you are judicious with the throttle.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
...If you want your significant other to go for rides and be able to talk to you, skip the headers.

Sounds like a strong argument in favor of the headers....

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?28153-Italian-Funeral-Dog&p=356268#post356268

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
:lol