New Ford Supercar rumors!

MartynL

GT Owner
Feb 19, 2012
Sarasota, FL
I'm not big on spreading rumors and have very little to back this up. However, the source, not an employee, is very well connected with senior execs and performance engineers at Ford. Supposedly there is another two-seat sports car in the works, probably more of a Corvette competitor than an update of the Ford GT. The GT's heritage is rock solid and that will never change, so I don't expect if new super performance car does come to market for it to negatively affect GT values. That's all I got, but source is privy to future stuff info. I picked this up yesterday at the N.Y. Auto Show Press Day. Maybe some of our Motown-based members know more about it.
Marty

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Another Thunderbird?

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I could see a Corvette class vehicle for the 100K range when decked out. It would be a good move. Their issue now is that everything has to be "world car" and that will just make it look goofy and it will have everything from a 4 cylinder diesel to a 5.0V8 (which I think is now officially the largest engine they will do, except for trucks). Done right, with that engine and a superlight body, it could still be a hoot.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Another 'modern' Cobra-ish creation maybe (hopefully with a ROOF - at least as an option!)...similar to the one that was shown a SEMA a few years back.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
A Cobra-like car would be fitting, but sort of hard to do with the new rules and keep it in the same sort of "GT40 vs Ford GT" similarity. A T-bird look alike wouldn't be a stretch. Especially if it had a removable hard top with the opera windows. And Suzanne Somers from 31 years ago.

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia
I'm not big on spreading rumors and have very little to back this up. However, the source, not an employee, is very well connected with senior execs and performance engineers at Ford. Supposedly there is another two-seat sports car in the works, probably more of a Corvette competitor than an update of the Ford GT. The GT's heritage is rock solid and that will never change, so I don't expect if new super performance car does come to market for it to negatively affect GT values. That's all I got, but source is privy to future stuff info. I picked this up yesterday at the N.Y. Auto Show Press Day. Maybe some of our Motown-based members know more about it.
Marty
Ask Mark McGowan he would know as would DBK. Might be the new SVT flat Crank track Mustang, I hope it trashes the new Z28 but that won't be easy, GM pulled out all the stops on that one. They even dumped the Delco magnetic shocks for some real race shocks and installed a belly pan along with the dry sump 427 cid Z06 engine.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
The Pirelli Trofeo Rs are a large part of the Z28 magic. They are very sticky, much more so than even the Pirelli Corsa System tires on the Boss or the Michelin Cup tires on the track oriented Porches, ZR1s, etc. I heard such good things about them that I modified the rear OEM rims on my 2014 GT500 to accept the 295 Trofeo R. They stick like my M&H drag radials.

K-P Garage

GT Owner
Sep 12, 2005
Longwood, Florida
Ford has rarely matched up head to head with corvette with any car. They did so initially with the Tbird and beat it badly both on the track (or actually sands of daytona) and on the sales charts. The Tbird then took a vastly different path of profitability and the corvette one of a cool reputation but a legendary underachiever on the track. That remained the case until recent times. GM has spent many tax dollars to make the corvette a very good looking and world competitive car. There is however very little in that Market that appeals to fomoco I would think. The GT was never a head to head corvette competitor nor was the GT40. Had it not been for Ford's 100th birthday, you have to wonder if the GT would have ever been built.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
A Cobra-like car would be fitting, but sort of hard to do with the new rules and keep it in the same sort of "GT40 vs Ford GT" similarity. A T-bird look alike wouldn't be a stretch. Especially if it had a removable hard top with the opera windows. And Suzanne Somers from 31 years ago.

You're talkin' 1955-6-7 'Bird then, I assume. If so, one would think the same "rules" that would preclude a new Cobra would also 'do in' a new 5-6-7 'Bird as well, no?

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Well documented, "not a snowballs chance"

Had it not been for Ford's 100th birthday, you have to wonder if the GT would have ever been built.

I love this rumor, always been mustang vs Camaro debate (minus a few missing GM years...) but no recent Vette vs ford xxxx debate. Its always the Vette against cars totally out of the price category, which does very well.

Last edited:

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
I love this rumor, always been mustang vs Camaro debate (minus a few missing GM years...) but no recent Vette vs ford xxxx debate. Its always the Vette against cars totally out of the price category, which does very well.

Speaking from my experience the C7 is huge improvement in every area over the earlier generation Vettes. I would think any American car manufacture who introduces a new car out aimed at the Corvette market will face stiff completion in this price range. I know there is a great deal of anti Corvette feelings especially in the Ford camp but I would attack a different market at this point. Maybe a luxury 2 seat sports car like the failed Cadillac XLR?

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
You're talkin' 1955-6-7 'Bird then, I assume. If so, one would think the same "rules" that would preclude a new Cobra would also 'do in' a new 5-6-7 'Bird as well, no?

Absolutely - a 2 seater bird. Not the sedan. We had a 79 t-bird. It was a Ford version of the Lincoln Mark-x. (x=5?) Wonderful comfortable car that got about 9 MPG in the city.

Ford already sampled a modern Cobra (the GR1). It wanted to be a supercar like the GT, not a bump up from the Mustang.

Ford and Chevy have the Mustang and Camaro.

Chevy has a +1 step from the Camaro to the Corvette (and maybe +2 with the Z06 and ZR1).

Ford only did a +3 step. Their market equivalent of the time was targeted to the Ferrari 360 class. Good competition for that car, but way beyond the Corvette.

I would see this rumored car as being the +2 class. Still a two seater,

They could make it look like the Cobra too but I think it should be Ford from Ford, not a Ford from Shelby. They already did that.

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
'Apologies in advance for the slight drift here: As long as we're talkin' "future Fords", I'd still like to see Ford build the "Forty-Nine" concept car. I'd also like to see a 21st century version of the '56-'57 Continental MK II coupe - one that clearly looks like its ancestor...not one that just has the name. (The latter 'newbie' would be especially killer IMHO.)

With regard to the latter, Ford's already looking for a way/ways to rekindle the public's interest the Lincoln badge. What better way to draw attention...?

Okay, okay - I'm shuttin' up now. :bored

GT Tech

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 13, 2006
Kingman, Arizona
Just to throw some fuel on the fire, My son is the body shop manager of one of the larger S.E. Michigan Ford dealers. He mentioned that he had heard rumors of a new Ford "Super Car" in the works. I told him I'd be real surprised if that were to happen, but who knows?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
He mentioned that he had heard rumors of a new Ford "Super Car" in the works. I told him I'd be real surprised if that were to happen, but who knows?

Hmmmmmmmmmmm...I wonder if "Original FGT Owners" would be given '1st dibzees' on any new supercar?

Naaaaaaah...

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Hmmmmmmmmmmm...I wonder if "Original FGT Owners" would be given '1st dibzees' on any new supercar?

Naaaaaaah...

Yes, but due to limited availability of this new car, first right of refusal goes to original GT owners who still own their car(s).

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Yes, but due to limited availability of this new car, first right of refusal goes to original GT owners who still own their car(s).

I think it should only apply to current owners, not the fools that sold theirs, like E....... :lol

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Supercar? A Corvette fighter would not be a supercar. C7 is a great sports car, but not a supercar. For several reasons, not the least of which is exclusivity.

Will Ford build a supercar? Maybe, if you dumb down the definition.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State

I think it should only apply to current owners, not the fools that sold theirs, like E....... :lol

May the both of yuz be blessed with an IRS audit...for the next 5 years...

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
C7 is a great sports car, but not a supercar. For several reasons, not the least of which is exclusivity.

Well, IMO, maybe only exclusivity would exclude the C7 from supercar status. Admittedly, I apply a high weighting to real track performance. In this area the C7 (and even the C6 Z06) can completely embarrass many, many recognized supercars.

Our Z06 is 3000lbs with fuel and 175lb driver and 505HP (stock). But, this 3000lbs is almost perfectly proportioned to each corner which is completely amazing. Then, with very minor inner wheel well mods, the vette can accommodate 305mm tires up front and 345's in the rear.

The price/performance equation of the vette makes a very, very tough target for Ford or anyone else. Just ask Dodge.