New Accufab GT X-Pipe

Accufab

Mar 14, 2006
I guess it was only a matter of time. Accufab has released a new exhaust system for the GT's. It is a direct replacement for the standard GT box-type muffler (or FRPP unit) and tail-pipe tips. The Accufab GT X-Pipe is a polished stainless steel piece and retains the OEM catalytic converters in the stock location. Independent dyno tests at Westech show a 12 ft/pound improvement in overall torque and an additional 15 HP over the OEM system. On top of that, the new Accufab X-Pipe saves 44# of weight on the extreme rear end (a 1% improvement on front to rear weight bias) and lowers the engine bay temperature by 20-degrees.

$1,499.99, come and get 'em, or, give us a call at Accufab, (909) 930-1751.

Attachments

• XPIPELR2.jpg
    XPIPELR2.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 744
  • XPIPELR.jpg
    XPIPELR.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 576
  • XPIPELR3.jpg
    XPIPELR3.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 556

Accufab

Mar 14, 2006
Neither. We have never seen any other design up close other than the Borla system. This is a design that works, does what it is supposed to do and is not uncomfortably noisy.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Does the system have any sound attenuation inside of it, or does it rely on the cats for that? How loud would the car be with this "muffer" and cat delete pipes?

BlackICE

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
I have heard it and it sounds fantastic, it has the sound I was looking for when I purchased the Borla.

ETW

GT Owner
Jan 16, 2006
Do you have a sound clip of this setup?

Accufab

Mar 14, 2006
Sorry, no sound clip. And we have never tried this set-up without the cats being in place. Even with the cats, the Accufab X-Pipe has a rich, powerful sound.

Last edited:

ETW

GT Owner
Jan 16, 2006
Do you know anywhere in Massachusetts that can install this exhaust?

Accufab

Mar 14, 2006
There is nothing trick about the X-Pipe installation. It is, however, a little time consuming to remove the original muffler system. The tilt-up bonnet needs to be removed along with the lower defuser (tail pan) and lower rear grille. We can do the complete job (off with the old, on with the new) here at Accufab in under two hours but that's because we have done a few already. Any competent shop should be able to do the job. We have found that to insure not scratching the paint on the bonnet, it takes two people (one on each side) to hold it and a third to undo the bolts. Our fee for this installation is $250.

oskie100

GT Owner
Nov 23, 2005
Simi Valley, California
A cool trick to get the old stock muffler out without taking off the clam shell is to remove all the necessary panels below, then take a sawsall and cut the tips off and it will then lift straight out with no problem!

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
oskie100 said:
A cool trick to get the old stock muffler out without taking off the clam shell is to remove all the necessary panels below, then take a sawsall and cut the tips off and it will then lift straight out with no problem!

That is exactly what I did. No need to mess with the rear clam at all. :thumbsup

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
FWIW, I was able to remove the stock muffler without cutting and without removing the clamshell.

...it takes two people (one on each side) to hold it and a third to undo the bolts.

Why would you un-do the bolts (and risk re-alignment issues) when you can seemingly just pull the pins? Not trying to be a smarta** here, as I have never removed mine. Looking at it, it just seems that it would be better to remove the pins.

Accufab

Mar 14, 2006
Actually George meant to pull the pins. In regard to sawing off the tailpipes, I don't recommend it but it certainly can make things easier. That's fine for the end user, but we cannot take a sawzall to a customers car and hand him back his muffler in 3 pieces. Certainly care must be taken removing and installing the bonnet.

Also to note that we have done several installs so far and each car is a little different regarding muffler removal. Some come out easily and some are quite a task, but none yet have required the sawzall.

Thanks again

John

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
'cuda,

I'm with you 100%. OK, maybe 120%. If you keep the cats - which is a prudent thing to do, then the inlet locations is fixed. If you want to keep the tips in the stock location - which is just a damn requirement on the GT, then these points are fixed to. So, now you have to route from the fixed inlet location to the fixed outlet (tip) location and there's only so much you can do in such a short span. "Looping" upward and then diving back down, to get to the outlet doesn't give you much flexibility.

As for the idea of joining the exhaust outlets, well, the notion for that has been around a long, long, time.

Accufab - hat's off to you for bringing a great design, high quality product to our small community - and in doing so at a more reasonable price point than many other alternatives. Keep going! You rock!

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Nice work Accufab! Seems like a reasonable price to me.

p.s, play nice. I won't tolerate or explain why, I'll just delete posts if I have to.

lthlvpr

GT Owner
Mar 8, 2006
Finally!
An alternative to the other system. Looks like a superior design (x vs. h pipe), equal quality construction, and a very reasonable price! I think this system is about $1000 less than the competition and will likely yeild more power and equal if not better heat reduction.

Well done John!
-W

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
This system looks great. Your efforts should be applauded. There still seams to be some GT tax built into these products . A few months ago I purchased a complete set of Dyna Tech long tube Stainless Steel headers with high flow cats for my Chevy SSR 6.0 ltr LS2 .$ 1500.00 to my door. They have lots more piping and bends. and they were Jet Hot coated to reduce heat radiation. The Jet Hot coating would be a good option for this GT exhaust.

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
NICE WORK!

Accufab said:
I guess it was only a matter of time. Accufab has released a new exhaust system for the GT's. It is a direct replacement for the standard GT box-type muffler (or FRPP unit) and tail-pipe tips. The Accufab GT X-Pipe is a polished stainless steel piece and retains the OEM catalytic converters in the stock location. Independent dyno tests at Westech show a 12 ft/pound improvement in overall torque and an additional 15 HP over the OEM system. On top of that, the new Accufab X-Pipe saves 44# of weight on the extreme rear end (a 1% improvement on front to rear weight bias) and lowers the engine bay temperature by 20-degrees.

$1,499.99, come and get 'em, or, give us a call at Accufab, (909) 930-1751.
Accufab,

That is a real nice setup! One question, are you concerned about allowing the pipes to just dangle, without support? EDITED by Jay NOTE: Read Accufab's comments below, as there is a mounting bracket. Jay

I think your "X" pipe design is on the right track! That's what I would have done.

Nice work...

Jay
www.gtsaver.com

Last edited:

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Quantity is the driving force...

STORMCAT said:
This system looks great. Your efforts should be applauded. There still seams to be some GT tax built into these products . A few months ago I purchased a complete set of Dyna Tech long tube Stainless Steel headers with high flow cats for my Chevy SSR 6.0 ltr LS2 .$ 1500.00 to my door. They have lots more piping and bends. and they were Jet Hot coated to reduce heat radiation. The Jet Hot coating would be a good option for this GT exhaust.
It cost much more to produce something in very small quantities. One rule one thumb is that everytime the quantity of producing something is doubled, the price can be reduced by about 7%. There just aren't enough GT customers out there to get the cost low enough... If cellphones were hand-crafted and hand-built, they would probably cost about 10-$20,000 each. Jay

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
H pipe

lthlvpr said:
Finally!
An alternative to the other system. Looks like a superior design (x vs. h pipe), equal quality construction, and a very reasonable price! I think this system is about $1000 less than the competition and will likely yeild more power and equal if not better heat reduction.

Well done John!
-W
lthlvpr,

The alternative system is not a true "H" pipe system as there is no acoustic link between the two sides.

Jay
www.gtsaver.com

Last edited:

Accufab

Mar 14, 2006
Thanks for the complements. We wanted to deliver a quality part at a reasonable price. As previously stated, dealing in relatively small quantities doesn't always work out to be cheap.

As for the exhaust being unsupported, that's not the case. We supply fabricated brackets that attach to the original muffler support to keep things in place.

I can't comment much about our pricing compared to others. Each manufacturer has to weigh the costs, time and effort, quantity produced over time and amortize tooling and testing that back up their claims as well as advertising. As well, a reasonable profit margin is to be expected for efforts and expenses exerted.

Our real task at hand was to deliver a superior product that is top shelf quality and actually performs as advertised. The hard work has now been done. Certainly there will be cheaper products as time goes by. It's always cheaper to copy then to create or innovate. Time will tell.

Thanks,

John