MY BEAUTIFUL MEMORY

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
some of our Forum friends know that five years ago today we lost Alex, our daughter and only child, to a Massive Pulmonary Embolism caused by her use of birth control pills. In the aftermath, we established a Foundation (www.alexrowanfoundation.org or on FB @alexrowanfound) that focuses on writing-related internships and awards, plus awareness-raising work via our partnership with the National Blood Clot Alliance. So far, almost fifty interns have benefitted and over a dozen prizes have been awarded. Tens, if not hundreds of thousands of women have been reached via our social media outlets. About 2,000 women die from Hormonal birth control usage each year in the US alone, so this is important work. As part of my continuing efforts with the Foundation I've written a biography of Alex that will be published in January; a lot of it is in her own words, and several of her short stories are included. I'm not asking for donations, (although I know that some of you have been ridiculously generous already), but am actually seeking help: This is my first book and I'm totally new to publicizing such a thing. Knowing that some of our Group is in media and related professions, I'm looking for help. Please feel free to pm me if you've any thoughts or ideas on how to maximize publicity associated with the book's publication. Thanks in advance, all input gratefully received.

Attachments

• IMG_1902.jpg
    IMG_1902.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 241

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
I did not realize this, and unfortunately know nothing about publishing. However, I did go to the website and make a donation.

My wife also had a pulmonary embolism several years ago that we think had the same root cause. She survived only to develop breast cancer a couple of years later, which she has also survived.

I wish you the best of luck with the book , which I look forward to reading.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
Im so sorry for your loss and also had no idea about this terrible event. It is a wonderful thing you are doing and I hope it is a vastly successful venture in the end.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
My heartfelt sympathies to you my friend I will gladly be honored to make a donation

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
Do it now

May Alex's memory be a blessing.

Do your part, donate and most importantly share it on Facebook to get the message out to help Roz and Dave educate women and their families about this common issue that can be prevented. I diagnose pulmonary embolic disease on a regular basis....link below

https://www.facebook.com/alexrowanf...34KDVO1bLuYjkZ-OMbzEDiZkCoRDY&fref=nf&__xts__[0]=68.ARDzIgufQauE2JlG10EVInewGvDNTHLnERxcCcsORv_-T-o33QiIDGGPvb7JOu-Lh-VGSGdVw7rARmIYzI5lON0KOy5u12A3m7bilekbSLOLIIJH27ELMtOw3ljsqefG_8EF1PqBuGmThbZK5eV-z08VswTQKT5UlwsxApSj4reWl68O5iMsKH4g2kUiCI-3YSm37vtgADiHAxB5tlM7NFTS7SRIHlaP1vNG

Last edited:

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Exactly my thoughts.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
It sounds like good will come out of your loss Mongrel. God bless you & Roz!

Ed

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Donna and I were also unaware of your loss. What an inspiring way to fight a cause and honor Alex.

Last edited:

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
David,
I'm embarrassed to say I had no idea of your loss. I think you are honoring her spirit in a beautiful and meaningful way.
I'm all too familiar with Pulmonary Embolisms - my mother had one (fortunately survived). Happy to support such a wonderful charity.
Wishing you and Roz peace and happiness.

GeeTee

GT Owner
Jul 5, 2015
Hi David
We are sorry for your loss. I would definitely purchase this book when it comes out and share with my friends. Thanks to you and your wonderful wife for organising a Foundation and publishing the book as I am sure it will help to save others lives. Pam

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Hi David - so sorry for your loss. What a wonderful thing you are doing to prevent the same tragedy for some other family. I wish I had some good advice/recommendations to help you.

Perhaps not helpful in the least but I remember Andy Weir's challenges to publish his epic book, The Martian. He never gave up or lost faith and leveraged Amazon and it just literally took-off.

MJSFRX

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 26, 2010
Carlsbad, CA
David, so sorry, breaks my heart. What a great cause you are creating. Wish I knew more about book publishing for you. Regards, marc