Mileage Question to the Masses

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
Okay, saw an interesting post the other day by one of our members who is out there driving the wheels off his GT and loving every minute of it, :thumbsup and another post about an Enzo driver with 7K miles on it who was "driving it and enjoying it, not saving it for the next owner."

Well it got me thinking. For those of you that keep the mileage low on your cars (which is totally fine, we all enjoy our cars in different ways) and then end up selling would it drive you a little :willy if you knew that the new owner was a high mileage driver and is racking up the wheel time on your old baby.

Is the car so personal that you feel a little put out, like a jealous guy seeing his ex-woman out there :club doing things that she never did with you :biggrin or is it out of sight/out of mind.

Personally for me, I drive em, enjoy em and if I sell em I remember the fond memories and let her go......or in the case of women move to another state......which explains my fondness for the fact we have so many states in the union :lol.

Just kidding about moving a lot.....it was for a variety of reasons ....... I think :confused.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
ever since I started buying cars I havent been able to sell any of them:biggrin so for me this does not apply, I tried that with my girlfriends it didnt work!:biggrin:biggrin:biggrin However I do drive all my cars quite a bit.

t32b

Verde
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 21, 2007
Bay Area, CA
I'm a low mileage kinda' guy so far. Due in part because of limited time to drive it, and part because, well, I'm a bit OCD :) So yea, I think 'Pockets would be the only approved buyer for my gal. I heard that his garage doesn't have a door. Perfect!
And I'll just leave out any reference to the GF thing...

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
6k in 3yrs all driving with other FGT's :)

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I think 'Pockets would be the only approved buyer for my gal. I heard that his garage doesn't have a door. Perfect!

Oh, both garages HAVE doors alright ... they've just been WELDED shut. :sleep:

(Who ratted??? :skep)

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
As far as "attached"....I am a car nut through and through but once I sell a vehicle , after the funds clear, you can torch it, wreck it whatever. It's just a car, and very replaceable. I have owned hundreds of cars/trucks...regular, exotic, classic whatever...you name it pretty much. I have had "garage queens"...what a ROYAL pain! Unfortunately I don't have the resources of Jay Leno (who I admire) and can't afford someone to take care of my collection and have each ready at my beckon call. I love cars, and cars were meant to be driven. I drive my GT almost every day (I don't think anyone drives the same car every day...think about it). I mean it really isn't functional to haul firewood so I use my pickup for that. I guess it wouldn't be very good for soccer moms or carpooling either but those aren't an issue for me. Rather than letting it sit with a battery tender on it and a sure fire bet for premium value for my kids to inherit , I drive it and I love every minute. There is a big difference in "use" and "abuse". Yes it will get a door ding, yes it will depreciate...who cares..not me. All the thumbs up, the people hanging out windows with a camera, the exhilaration from the way it drives and the smile on my face is worth it. So the doors are a bit less than "user friendly"....more of an inconvenience than a "problem". I park it at WalMart, Sam's Club, restaurants..whatever....although I am able to choose a good spot...perhaps a perk for living in Texas and not NYC. Never been "trapped"...not once. Hopefully for my kids sake that aluminum, carbon fiber, and leather will be at an all time high when I pass as I hope I will have used up every drop of the car by then.
Would I recommend buying several new ones and keeping them in a bubble for investment purposes?.....Not so much.
Would I recommend buying one because you enjoy it and it MIGHT appreciate over time?.......ABSOLUTELY! 12K "smiles" here.

Now I am going to the local Sonic Drive-In and eat IN the car. Just got back from the pharmacy where I parked between two cars. Shhhhh! Just dont tell POCKETS!

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Now I am going to the local Sonic Drive-In and eat IN the car. Just got back from the pharmacy where I parked between two cars. Shhhhh! Just dont tell POCKETS!

'TOO LATE... :mad :slap

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Low miles are evil. Drive them. Just turned 12,000. Whatever it's worth to sell it's worth way more to drive!

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
I have about 17,000 miles split over three GT's. Driving them then talking to EP makes you want to buy another to keep the miles down. There EP you're the one to blame for my habit! :biggrin

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
I understand the joy of owning a GT. This car is an American one off and isn't all that easy to replace if lost to an accident. The more it's driven the better the chance of losing it. I think most of us are finding a balance of driving the GT for pleasure and Vipers, Vettes and Mustangs for the every day insanity.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I have about 17,000 miles split over three GT's. Driving them then talking to EP makes you want to buy another to keep the miles down. There EP you're the one to blame for my habit! :biggrin

If that be TRUE - YEW OWE ME! BIG TIME!

Gregg Thurman

GT Owner
Nov 3, 2007
Since the end of March this year I have put 9,000 miles on my GT. I just bought a wreck and will fix it. I don't care about how "clean" the title is. I'm a keeper/driver. I don't sell my cars. That probably explains why I have cars and no wive/s, but more than enough girl friends.

Gregg Thurman

GT Owner
Nov 3, 2007
This thread got me to thinking about driving and values. Checking eBay and the Forum, I don't readily see a correlation between mileage and value. It appears (on the surface anyway) that demand for the car overrides mileage.

Gregg Thurman

GT Owner
Nov 3, 2007
Just got back from the pharmacy where I parked between two cars. Shhhhh! Just dont tell POCKETS!

I ALWAYS park taking up two spaces (always parking at the rear of the lot). I had security at one of our local Malls issue me a warning for parking like that. I wrote management and told them what the car cost, and, by extension, how much that would indicate that I spend in the Mall, then asked if I should take my business where security wasn't so anal.

I got a real nice letter back, advising that, given how I park at the rear of the lot, management has spoken to security and I won't have any further problems with the way I park.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
I ALWAYS park taking up two spaces (always parking at the rear of the lot). I had security at one of our local Malls issue me a warning for parking like that. I wrote management and told them what the car cost, and, by extension, how much that would indicate that I spend in the Mall, then asked if I should take my business where security wasn't so anal.

I got a real nice letter back, advising that, given how I park at the rear of the lot, management has spoken to security and I won't have any further problems with the way I park.

I like that post! :thumbsup

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State

Ya. It's AMAZING how many people take offence at someone who's parked 300 miles from nowhere taking up two spaces!!! 'Just BELLYACHING FOR BELLACHING's SAKE. 'Simple as that. (That, and massive amounts of jealousy 'cause they'll pbly never own anything like a FGT.) The real pblm with taking 2 spaces is it announces to the world you care about the car! THAT INSTANTLY ATTACTS THE SCUM who are hell bent on seeing to it damage DOES occur.

The very same people who DO bellyache about someone taking 2 spaces are the EXACT SAME PEOPLE who'll bounce their door off the car next to 'em in a heartbeat and think NOTHING of it. In fact, they'll make it a POINT to do it if there's an EXPENSIVE car next to 'em. ('Seen this happen just too darn many times.)

But, now that you've stood up to this idiocy, if I were you I wouldn't be a bit surprised to find myself the target of a little retaliatory vandalizing by these same "security" people sometime down the road - just to "SHOW YOU".

'Hope I'm wrong...

Paranoid Pockets

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I agree with Pockets. So I try to only park far away from where anyone would want a spot, but just take one space. I fear too many people, would take offense at me taking two spaces and key the car!

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
Ya. It's AMAZING how many people take offence at someone who's parked 300 miles from nowhere taking up two spaces!!! 'Just BELLYACHING FOR BELLACHING's SAKE. 'Simple as that. (That, and massive amounts of jealousy 'cause they'll pbly never own anything like a FGT.) The real pblm with taking 2 spaces is it announces to the world you care about the car! THAT INSTANTLY ATTACTS THE SCUM who are hell bent on seeing to it damage DOES occur.

The very same people who DO bellyache about someone taking 2 spaces are the EXACT SAME PEOPLE who'll bounce their door off the car next to 'em in a heartbeat and think NOTHING of it. In fact, they'll make it a POINT to do it if there's an EXPENSIVE car next to 'em. ('Seen this happen just too darn many times.)

But, now that you've stood up to this idiocy, if I were you I wouldn't be a bit surprised to find myself the target of a little retaliatory vandalizing by these same "security" people sometime down the road - just to "SHOW YOU".

'Hope I'm wrong...

Paranoid Pockets

Damn Pockets, you and I think WAY too much alike. Perhaps twins separated at birth? I had a Ford Bronco (O.J. version) in my younger days and it was special....or at least to me it was. Parked WAAAY out against the outer curb at a Cinema Movie theatre and it got keyed on both sides taking up two spaces with nobody within 100 feet. Didn't quite learn my lesson as I am a bit "hard headed" (so I'm told) and had a 450SL MB. White with red guts....beautiful car. Parked it WAAAAY out at the curb at Highland Mall in Austin TX and it got keyed both sides. Luckily for me, the bastards didn't press hard enough on the key MOST of the way and I was able to buuf and color sand 90% out without any paintwork. Lesson learned this time. I will never, ever take up 2 spaces again. Period. Since I have somewhat stopped being anal, not a thing has happened to my cars, and I drive some pretty high profile stuff. Less stress and less damage = a win win. I even drive in the rain now! SHHHHH!!

Last edited:
H

HHGT

One of the many ideas I have, is to make a car cover that sort of looks like a Patrol Car with the proper colors (Blk/Wht), gold star on the door and an inflatable Red/Blue Siren on top. Then, Wifi enable a camera (solar powered) with streaming video to my cell phone or my WatchCam.:willy:willy:willy

For an added effect, I would play the sound of gun loading when someone got too close......:eek:eek:eek

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
somebody please come up with a solution to this parking issure, I cant believe that in this day and age we have this problem. it seems to me in a country where service is so eagerly accepted and well paid for, we cant have parking where they would charge you a few bucks and let you park in a space where getting a door ding or your car key'd would not be an issue, I would pay for that spot. The more places that have them the more business they would attract, am I crazy for thinking this?