Mechanical interest to some of you ??

Lorenzo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2008
U.S.A.
Snap On now has a spark plug socket that works really nice in our Ford GT's.

Some of you probably already have this.
spark plug socket.jpg

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Part number?

Lorenzo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2008
U.S.A.
S9720KA

It's available in 5/8 and 9/16 This part number is for the 5/8

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Lorenzo, does enough of the socket clear the cam cover so you can grab the socket?

andreikoc

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2013
Does it hold the plug magnetically (hopeful) or rubber insert?

Lorenzo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2008
U.S.A.
Yes you can grab it and yes it has a rubber insert. It's purpose built for these kind of engines.
I like to use it with the locking extension (also from Snap On ) as shown in this picture Part # FXKL3 This extension will not let go of the socket until your ready for it to come off.
spark plug socket extension.jpg

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Thanks!

Ed

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
For those that don't want to pay the Snap On tax, a poorer quality Taiwan clone, $60 vs. $14.
This one is also 6" long.

http://www.ntxtools.com/network-tool-warehouse/SUN-884506.html

http://www.amazon.com/Sunex-884506-...234054&sr=1-4&keywords=socket+spark+plug+deep

sun-884506.gif

Last edited:

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
I have never changed my MOD engine sprakplugs but just wonder, how is it an advantage to have the spark plug socket OD extend the full 6" in length? Would not at typical sprak plug socket (with magnetic or rubber plug holding) and an 8" extension work equally well? Is radial piloting at the valve cover top to maintain removal torque axis aligned with the spark plug axis critical? Just wondering...

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
I have never changed my MOD engine sprakplugs but just wonder, how is it an advantage to have the spark plug socket OD extend the full 6" in length? Would not at typical sprak plug socket (with magnetic or rubber plug holding) and an 8" extension work equally well? Is radial piloting at the valve cover top to maintain removal torque axis aligned with the spark plug axis critical? Just wondering...

Bill, I've changed mine twice with a typical spark plug socket and extension - no problem. The only advantage I see to these sockets is a better feel when starting the installation of a new plug, to confirm that cross threading is not happening. I'm extremely paranoid with regard to hurting our aluminum heads, so I am very careful during installation with the standard socket approach.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Is radial piloting at the valve cover top to maintain removal torque axis aligned with the spark plug axis critical?

Indy, holy cow! I think you could make a best seller by re-writing "The Joy of Sex" in mechanical engineering prose. There would undoubtedly be 1) a population explosion, and; 2) a lot more women on the planet with a smile of satisfaction!

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Indy, holy cow! I think you could make a best seller by re-writing "The Joy of Sex" in mechanical engineering prose. There would undoubtedly be 1) a population explosion, and; 2) a lot more women on the planet with a smile of satisfaction!

HAHAHAHA

By the way, at what mileage is the first plug replacement due?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I wish you guys would stop encouraging him.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Hijack

Bill, I've changed mine twice with a typical spark plug socket and extension - no problem. The only advantage I see to these sockets is a better feel when starting the installation of a new plug, to confirm that cross threading is not happening. I'm extremely paranoid with regard to hurting our aluminum heads, so I am very careful during installation with the standard socket approach.

Thanks Ralphie! That’s what I thought but like to hear the experience of others who have actually taken the plugs out. Mine are still working just fine.

Geez Kendall, I was just trying to express through prose the idea of keeping the socket straight on the plug. You understood; I’m sure. :biggrin I just hope Pockets got it as well. As far as rewriting the intricacies of JOS, I’m not touching that topic with my jargon! You are on your own. Thanks but no thanks. See you soon at the prerally.

I wish you guys would stop encouraging him.

Frank, I’m starting to feel empowered! Forum members are starting to understand me. I love the encouragement. And sorry for the thread hijack. I’ll stop now.

Lorenzo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2008
U.S.A.
WOW !! I'm blown away at some of the response to a simple heads up to what I thought might be of some interest to anyone doing their own basic preventative maintenance.
It's a well known fact that spark plugs that are left in an aluminum head for extended period's of time run the risk of damaging the threads upon removal.
Perhaps that's why there is also a special tool, purpose built to repair damaged sparkplug threads.
Most mechanic's will warn you of the possibility before they remove sparkplugs on high mileage engine's regardless of brand if the heads are Aluminum.
I was contemplating giving Snap-On a call first thing in the Am to ask them what the heck they were thinking coming up with such a silly worthless tool but then I meet up with my local Snap-On dealer to show him this thread. He was equally amused, then he pulled up his records and showed me proof that he had sold 36 of these in the first week they were available. So I decided against calling .After all, they are the world leader in tools, the company with a brand loyalty like no other, why would they listen to me.
I change mine every spring along with the engine oil, transaxel oil, Oil pump belt, and air cleaner elements. Is that too often? Well that's a matter of opinion. Do my plugs go bad after just one season of driving ? Heck no they don't but I change them regardless and im very careful doing so. Silly me for thinking I might bring this to everyone's attention.
There is a highly respected member of this Forum that lost the top of a piston as a direct result of a poorly installed sparkplug. I know for a fact that his plugs are now being replaced annually.

O well I should have known better, Don't worry though. It wont happen again.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
HAHAHAHA

By the way, at what mileage is the first plug replacement due?

The day after you get one of the new radially compliant opposed thumb plug wrenches.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Thanks Ralphie! That’s what I thought but like to hear the experience of others who have actually taken the plugs out. Mine are still working just fine....

Bill, I change mine every 25,000 or so. They still work fine, but at that point, when doing a yearly service and it's close to that interval, I just change them. I figure it can't hurt, so while I'm in there, I do it. Inspection shows that they are working fine and properly, so I could reinstall them, so I keep a couple to travel with me, in case I get a premature failure, and replace the full set.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
I had already purchased the following Snap-On socket for our vehicles - http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item...675514&supersede=&store=snapon-store&tool=all

Socket, Spark Plug, Magnetic, 5/8", 6-Point
Stock#: S9706KMAG

............as I believe somebody else posted the reference earlier, though the longer one would most likely provide additional benefits.

Yeah, here it is - http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?7203-New-Spark-Plugs&highlight=S9706KMAG

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I found that running a Whipple required changing them more often. I had about 5 or 6K on a set and went for the dyno session. The car seem to run fine on the road, but on the dyno it didn't pull well past 5.5K, only getting about 650 HP. Tony G said probably bad plugs. When I changed the power returned to normal. A visual inspection showed that the plugs looked fine, but they weren't. Running NGK TR7IX.