McLaren MP4-12C

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Pretty pricey but sounds amazing. Looks like priced to go after F458 customers or high end Lambo guys.
I for one would way take one of these over the Italian stallions provided there was a service shop not too far away.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Who knows what the Ford GT did around the Ring?

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Some magazine driver did 7:40 I believe but that was not an unofficial time. I do not think it would do any better. If you put a set of these ridiculously sticky tires everyone runs now and added a pulley and tune? I would think that alone would rocket it near the top of all street cars.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Some magazine driver did 7:40 I believe but that was not an unofficial time. I do not think it would do any better. If you put a set of these ridiculously sticky tires everyone runs now and added a pulley and tune? I would think that alone would rocket it near the top of all street cars.

Roketman has to go there and set a new record!

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
Car and Driver review with short video.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car/11q1/2012_mclaren_mp4-12c-first_drive_review

I want one in flat black like their development cars.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
who is selling these now?

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington

Also need stiffer front springs. Front end is way too soft for the 'ring.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
who is selling these now?

Closest one to you is "The Collection" in Coral Gables.

Stewart W

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 12, 2007
Florida
Mitch
Actually you are closer to Tampa (100+ miles) ..Dew Luxury Imports is the dealer. Check out www.mclaren.com for specific contact info..

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
My deposit has been accepted. I now have to wait 10 to 13 months as they're running the European deliveries first. Apparently Mclaren's target for 2011 is 1000vehicles, of which 300 will come to the USA. Of course, mine is blue - I wonder what it would look like with white stripes to match the GT?

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
...it's not going to depreciate like a rock because they won't build 20,000.

I have read in multiple places they are going to build 1,000 first year, but will ramp up production to 4,000 units per year and will likely build way more that 20,000. This is a great car, maybe better than anything else out there in its competition level, but it is no F1 and will drop like a rock in price in the future like all production supercars. The Ford GT will still be a better investment. I know you'll be unhappy about that.

Last edited:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I have read in multiple places they are going to build 1,000 first year, but will ramp up production to 4,000 units per year and will likely build way more that 20,000. This is a great car, maybe better than anything else out there in its compettition level, but it is no F1 and will drop like a rock in price in the future like all production supercars.

300 for USA, 700 for the rest of the world. The 4,000 per year number by 2014 encompasses the MP4-12C, and additional models, including a convertible version, a successor to the F1, and a potential smaller model.

It is no F1. It's actually quicker. :biggrin

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California

It will be no F1 in regards to future value as well, it will be much worst!

Last edited:

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
300 for USA, 700 for the rest of the world. The 4,000 per year number by 2014 encompasses the MP4-12C, and additional models, including a convertible version, a successor to the F1, and a potential smaller model.

True, but the MP4-12C will make up the bulk of their production. They will build many times more than Ford did on the GT.

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
if you're buying these sort of vehicles as an investment, you're missing the point and doing them a mis-service. I'll be amazed if they build more than a total of 5000 MP-4s (probably less). Can't wait to get mine!

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
There are rumours that some cosmetic changes might be made to a version two..... There has been much written about the stunning build quality and supreme engineering, but also that some find the looks a little unexciting.

I went to the launch of the car and have sat in and generally prodded and caressed it - it's pretty amazing.

FordGT4fun

hi neilda,
Any pictures to share from the launch.... would be great
regards

Pierre

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Yup - pretty much all the tests comment on the looks, but I think its a pretty car and I won't be looking at it when I'm blaasting past an Italia at a high rate of knots, so who cares? Colors also seem to make a big difference to its attractiveness - I played with the McLaren "configurator" for hours until settling on Azure Blue (my wife wanted the volcano orange). I'm hoping to do a tour of the factory next time I'm in England (late March) - its supposed to be an amazing place.

Attachments

• McLaren_MP4-12C_wallpaper_1024x768.jpg
    McLaren_MP4-12C_wallpaper_1024x768.jpg
    412.4 KB · Views: 711

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Looks pretty darn good to me. Very nice color combo.
I like the appearance as much/more than than the F-458, and performance seems to be a no brainer.

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
I like that color too!
One aspect that bothers me on all these newer supercars is how advanced they are becoming, not the least of which is the total loss of shifting/clutch use. I know the paddles are much faster and are superior in performance terms, and once one has acquired them, they certainly won't go back. But, it is a loss of some driver involvement nonetheless.
I wouldn't want to drive a '69 Boss 302 after driving a new one on a daily basis, and for that matter, an old Daytona vs a 458. But this new MClaren is so advanced it makes the F1 seem positively antiquated (with the exception of the top speed) and does so for a fraction of the cost.