Loss of 3rd gear

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Yeah but its your dealer's Ford rep that will work towards making the claim happen or not

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
The trailering issue is all my fault. The warranty issue I am addressing with Ford is the loss of 3rd gear, which I now know has occured in nontrack settings. I was not shifting any more or less aggressively than I do with normal drivings, which is not aggressive. The local dealership has taken very good care of my car. All preclub event tech inspections are done there. They know what I do; I have hid nothing, nor do I intend to hide this fact. If warranty coverage is denied, then all ford gt owners should know about this. I suspect that they will do the right thing and cover it, as I have a real good relationship with my dealership. But I will keep you posted.

sorry to hear about that, and thank you for sharing , this is indeed valuble information, up to now I had no idea this had happened on four cars.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Rich told me of another Ford GT owner in a stock car who was simply driving down the highway when his 3rd gear loss occurred. I doubt this is a problem for ford gt drivers to worry about, but Rich did say that 4 known cases were a little unusual.

To be fair, I know that GT owner who was "driving down the highway" and he has previously had several, uh, "driving related" incidences with the car. The story he initially told me was that he was in 4th on the highway when he put it in third to accelerate and it was gone. I don't know about you, but I don't do much 3rd gear highway cruising :lol

I think that this is an anomaly and your track day had nothing to do with it. Whether or not the car was at the track or at the street, I think it probably would have happened. It's such a limited occurrence, but given that all known occurrences were specifically 3rd gear, there must be some connection that is likely completely unrelated to how or where the car is being driven. If I can help, let me know.

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Is the GT's gear line capable of "walking" down the shaft? I'm wondering if they are opposing gears and third is just slipped out of the contact area?

Just tossing out ideas.... other than that .... I got nuthin.

What are the rpms on a 3.90 set running 90mph down the highway in sixth?

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
man that would suck so bad...good thing you are still under warranty

that would be a GTR like repair bill

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
If the Transaxle is removed and disassembled for inspection of the cause of failure, would you please post the findings? I think a lot of us would like to know the mode of the internal failure. Thanks.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
If the Transaxle is removed and disassembled for inspection of the cause of failure, would you please post the findings? I think a lot of us would like to know the mode of the internal failure. Thanks.

+1 :thumbsup

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
To be fair, I know that GT owner who was "driving down the highway" and he has previously had several, uh, "driving related" incidences with the car. The story he initially told me was that he was in 4th on the highway when he put it in third to accelerate and it was gone. I don't know about you, but I don't do much 3rd gear highway cruising :lol

I think that this is an anomaly and your track day had nothing to do with it. Whether or not the car was at the track or at the street, I think it probably would have happened. It's such a limited occurrence, but given that all known occurrences were specifically 3rd gear, there must be some connection that is likely completely unrelated to how or where the car is being driven. If I can help, let me know.

Thanks Dave. After having talked with several people including my local Ford mechanic (who is outstanding), all whom understand how the cables, linkages, and gear forks work, all agree that this is NOT related to tracking the car. It's just not the type of problems you see from the wear and tear of a track event. This forum (and you) has proven its worth more than a few times to us Ford Gt owners. I appreciate your offer and will let you know if I need some help. The General Manager was off today but should be back in tomorrow. I suspect I will know something at that point, and I believe they will cover it.

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
Is the GT's gear line capable of "walking" down the shaft? I'm wondering if they are opposing gears and third is just slipped out of the contact area?

Just tossing out ideas.... other than that .... I got nuthin.

What are the rpms on a 3.90 set running 90mph down the highway in sixth?

I don't know. I only know that all other gears through to 6th and reverse work fine. No other issues.

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
Just some follow-up. Dealership appears completely behind me. Like I said, we have a very good relationship. Ford sent a rep out yesterday, and they took a sample of my transmission fluid...I assume to look for metal fragments? I can't say I blame them. I believe this will work in my favor. All for now.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Excellent to hear !

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
good luck!

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
But I am the most bummed about the trailering instance. I keep thinking about what I could have done differently?? Perhaps had the winch tighter, but I had been told not to do that. Emergency brake was on...car was out of gear. Oh well.

Install e-track and use straps that go over the tires. Even if one fails, the other 3 won't let it budge.

Never tighten your winch but leave it attached loosely.

Leave e-brake off. Tranny out of gear.

If you wear suspenders and a belt, you could even use your present method of strapping in addition to all this for peace of mind. You can never have too many straps.:thumbsup

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
Install e-track and use straps that go over the tires. Even if one fails, the other 3 won't let it budge.

If you wear suspenders and a belt, you could even use your present method of strapping in addition to all this for peace of mind. You can never have too many straps.:thumbsup

Thanks for the advice. I had an aftermarket ramp installed in my trailer that allows for easy entry and exit as well as the driver door easily clearing the base board of the trailer side door. The downside is that the rear tires sit lower than the front tires (on the slope of the ramp) meaning that the straps I use on the front tires are really what's keeping the car from moving backwards. I have a front stop built into the ramp to keep the car from moving forward. The straps have a hook that grab onto D-rings on the floor. I generally don't use a winch, but for some reason I decided to use one that day, albeit loosely. Had I used some closed hook system rather than a simple open hook I think nothing would have happened. But I would like to try something that would literally keep those front tires from moving at all, no matter what, and something that could not get bounced loose (or off). Tire baskets or straps that go over the tires sounds like a great idea!

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
But I would like to try something that would literally keep those front tires from moving at all, no matter what, and something that could not get bounced loose (or off).

What about constructing a set of wheel chalks that bolt/screw to the floor?

For instance, you could put two aft of the front wheels and two fwd of the rear wheels, and nuthin' would go 'nowhere'... or just put a pair of chalks both forward and aft of each rear wheel (since they'd be a lot easier to get to)? :shrug

You'd still wanna use straps as well, of course.

Just for info: the factory sez to use tire baskets. So, Ya! It's a good ideeee!

MrFORDGT

Nov 7, 2008
Please Help! I was driving along in 6th when I lost all drive to gears, this happened before so I assumed it was the drive shaft bolt again, no big deal, the car was recovered to Roush and now they tell me that the gear box has gone!, straingely they were able to get 1,2nd?! I just dont understand it:[

does anyone know where I can get a replacement gearbox?

thanks guys n girls.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Please Help! I was driving along in 6th when I lost all drive to gears, this happened before so I assumed it was the drive shaft bolt again, no big deal, the car was recovered to Roush and now they tell me that the gear box has gone!, straingely they were able to get 1,2nd?! I just dont understand it:[

does anyone know where I can get a replacement gearbox?

thanks guys n girls.

'Simple answer: If the car is still under warranty - contact your dealer and they'll take care of it. If not, contact Ricardo directly and have 'em send you one. Or, you might call one of the 'Forum sponsors who deals in such matters. (Roush should be able to handle it...and your car's already there.)

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan

Ditto on everything except for the tire nets. I have had bad experiences with tires loosing air while trilering....But many use them with no problems.

If in gear and then you tighten straps you might be applying a load against the trans while hitting the brakes and bumps more manual trans have been hurt than not.

My first time with a dragster I learned the hard way about an air donut in the middle of the car to support the frame........bent the car in two.......While all the guys came by and said what you didn't have a air bladder under it:bored

Also do not cross strap ever. If one lets loose the car will be pulled/hop into the side of the trailer....not good.

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
Ford is covering the transmission!!! Yahhoooo! Will get a new transmission. After that's done, it is off to the GTguys for the new rear fascia and a few goodies!!:banana
hmmmm....time for a pulley and tune orrrr Whipple?????

Hammer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 10, 2006
San Diego, CA
That's great news, Cycle! And good on Ford for stepping up. All I can say is, whatever you do with the GT Guys, you're going to love it. I had a recent pulley/tune, short throw shifter, tranny cooler, and Borla installed by them, and I couldn't be happier!