Loss of 3rd gear

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
Well, I was at VIR today, getting Hoosiers nice and hot, and all of sudden...third gear was gone?? 1-2, 4-6 all intact and even reverse. Needless to say, my track day ended. Talked to the GTguys (Rich) who told me he was aware of 4 GTs that had failed in a similar manner, always 3rd gear. My car is still under warranty, and it sounds like Ford will simply replace the transmission.

To make matters worse, I trailered my gal back, which I usually do...and somehow my front straps which hook into floor rings came (or bounced) loose...for some unknown reason, I kept my winch slightly loosely attached to my tow hook (I usually do not do this) which likely prevented something worse from happening...but the car suffered minor damage to the rear fascia, which will likely need to be replaced. Will possibly use the GTguys for this.
Needless to say, my day has not gone well. :frown But all can be replaced and improved upon...considering going with the bumper delete option? Perhaps pulley and tune...trying to look at the bright side of things...maybe no more trailering! Ha. If you drive 'em things will sometimes happen...I can't keep her in the garage, knowing I might not be around tomorrow!

Last edited:

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
I agree! Perfect excuse to go bottom less! Sorry to hear about your bad day. Things will get better. :cheers

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Is my cave in a bad reception area, or are there others here on The 'Forum for whom news of this kinda tranny failure is "a first"?

(Clutches, yes. 'Pretty much expected. Half shaft bolts, yes - DEFINATELY expected!:lol But, a tranny FAILURE?)

OCPETE

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2006
Killer Dana, CA
"If you drive 'em things will sometimes happen...I can't keep her in the garage, knowing I might not be around tomorrow!"

Drive it like there is no tomorrow bro..shi*t happens, as long as you are ok everything else can be replaced-fixed :thumbsup

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Cycle - weather was bad here today - to COLD to be natural.

She didn't like it. Give me coordinates and look forward to meeting ya.

Weather fcst is still good for this weekend! PM me.

Sorry she was so personal.....

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I haven't heard of any 3rd gear tranny failures here either ??

Pete S.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2006
MA
No 3rd gear at VIR would make it impossible. As for FGT's and the transmissions, I am aware of one that took out the transmission and clutch assembly at a track and was replaced by the dealer under warranty; but don't know any that just lost any single gear. Denis and Rich are the Guys to fix it quick and right. What was the outside air temps at VIR while you were there?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Cycle, did you have a tranny cooler? My advice, stick to your microscope.

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
Cycle, did you have a tranny cooler? My advice, stick to your microscope.

Ha. You know the feeling! Sometimes I think you are right...I do much better at the scope, but, as you are aware, a mistake in our profession can lead to pretty bad consequences. A lawyer told me that suits against pathologists are rare compared to other specialties but usually quite expensive due to the consequences of an incorrect diagnosis (e.g. mastectomy, amputation, etc.).

Yes, I have the tranny cooler. At the start of the day, temps were cold, about 34 degrees F, rising to about 45 by the time of the incident.

But I am the most bummed about the trailering instance. I keep thinking about what I could have done differently?? Perhaps had the winch tighter, but I had been told not to do that. Emergency brake was on...car was out of gear. Oh well.

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
Rich told me of another Ford GT owner in a stock car who was simply driving down the highway when his 3rd gear loss occurred. I doubt this is a problem for ford gt drivers to worry about, but Rich did say that 4 known cases were a little unusual. I was not chaning gears when it happened. I was in 3rd, preparing to go into 4th when the car suddenly slowed and the tach redlined. My first thought was maybe I had accidentally hit my stick and knocked it out of gear (never done that before though). Sooo I changed into 4th and went on, up the esses...when I came down to Oak Tree (those familiar with VIR will know this), I changed down to 3rd and nothing...fortunately, the corner worker there indicated the end of our session, so I just cruised to the pits in 4th. Checked all other gears, and all worked properly.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
You have a great attudude about the whole thing, yes things can happen, and we as racers try to be optomistic, like look on the brightside, I assume the esses and hog pen are both in 3rd (have not driven the GT at VIR), you could have had the failure when the car was fully loaded laterally. That could have been more of a "moment".

Also as for the car moving around on the trailer, not to say that you did this, but I know from my experiences, I have forgotten to tie down the toox box, forget to tighten the sway control, remember the timing beacon on pit wall it goes on and on, the little things. Because of this I created a small list of things to check before pulling out, based on experience......

I too needed an "event" to go with the bumber delete, mine was rally 3 auction, but I still needed a "push" to get it rolling. Now you have the push as well..... Sure makes the car look better.......

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
sorry to hear about these issues. now is the time to consider going with the 3:90's

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
Still waiting to hear from the Ford dealership. My service advisor is worried that Ford may not cover it because it was at a track event. The local dealership does all of my tech inspections, and I don't try to hide anything from them. I would assume that if it is not racing or timed events that I should be ok?
Anyone have any experience with this? What would be my course of action if warranty was denied?
Thanks in advance,
Scott

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Although probably best not to mention track use in general, I don't think Ford can refuse to cover it because at a track event. I am not aware of that. Heck - these cars were made for the track.
It seems to me a 'manufacturing defect' that Ford must address.

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
DANG IT.

Sorry to hear of your unfortunate day.

I just hate it when days like that occur.

Don't worry, all will be well once again.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
DANG IT.

Sorry to hear of your unfortunate day.

I just hate it when days like that occur.

Don't worry, all will be well once again.

"And that's all I have to say about that."

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Sounds like you should read the warranty from start to finish (which I have not done), and see if there are competition references, which of course you were not doing. But see if your event could be viewed as a void. Or perhaps someone could chime in who has fully read the warranty, vs us all just speculating. No poing in not "telling them" as Ford and everyone else in the world can read this thread.

Still waiting to hear from the Ford dealership. My service advisor is worried that Ford may not cover it because it was at a track event. The local dealership does all of my tech inspections, and I don't try to hide anything from them. I would assume that if it is not racing or timed events that I should be ok?
Anyone have any experience with this? What would be my course of action if warranty was denied?
Thanks in advance,
Scott

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
But I am the most bummed about the trailering instance. I keep thinking about what I could have done differently?? Perhaps had the winch tighter, but I had been told not to do that. Emergency brake was on...car was out of gear. Oh well.

'Emergency brake is suppose to be OFF according to factory instructions (posted on one of the tags hanging from your shifter upon delivery). Don't ask me WHY...that's a mystery to me too. Especially when, in this case, the brake being ON pbly was the only thing that saved yur butt!

'Winch isn't suppose to be cinched tight due to the likelihood of bending up the area around the 'hook attachment point in the grille (from 'car bouncing, etc., and the strain during transport). That would cost you a few grand to correct.

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
Hmmm, better delete this thread before your local dealer prints out the evidence.

Also, may be the perfect time to send the TA over to Stillen for repairs & a 3.90:1 ring & pinion upgrade if your gonna have to pay for it outta' pocket.

Good Luck

mardyn

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
'Emergency brake is suppose to be OFF according to factory instructions (posted on one of the tags hanging from your shifter upon delivery). Don't ask me WHY...that's a mystery to me too. Especially when, in this case, the brake being ON pbly was the only thing that saved yur butt!

'Winch isn't suppose to be cinched tight due to the likelihood of bending up the area around the 'hook attachment point in the grille (from 'car bouncing, etc., and the strain during transport). That would cost you a few grand to correct.

The trailering issue is all my fault. The warranty issue I am addressing with Ford is the loss of 3rd gear, which I now know has occured in nontrack settings. I was not shifting any more or less aggressively than I do with normal drivings, which is not aggressive. The local dealership has taken very good care of my car. All preclub event tech inspections are done there. They know what I do; I have hid nothing, nor do I intend to hide this fact. If warranty coverage is denied, then all ford gt owners should know about this. I suspect that they will do the right thing and cover it, as I have a real good relationship with my dealership. But I will keep you posted.