Looking for a low mileage GT

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
You can attach a battery tender pigtail directly to the battery terminals, run it out the front at the tow hook and tie-wrap it there.

Dead battery ... yep, get a new one. And hope 🤞 it lasts more than a couple years.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Don't screw around wondering about a new battery. If you are unsure how old it is or its status, replace it. When you install new battery you can add the pigtail and run it out the front of the trunk. The pigtail will usually have a ring connector on it. I cut out a piece (about 1/4) to slide into the battery terminal without having to take the terminal clamp off completely. Make sure the pigtail end matches your battery tender wires.

Reactions: drilling

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
While you're in there you might want to consider adding a redundant ground from the battery to the chassis. There is a threaded hole nearby to accept a bolt. The ground connection to the aluminum chassis has been an occasional problem.

Reactions: jaxgt

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Whenever I deal with electrical grounds, I loosen them, squirt some Boeshield T6 or other waxy lubricant/preservative on the connection, wiggle it around to scrape off any slight corrosion, and retighten. I have had very few ground problems on any of my old cars, and then only at connections I haven't treated yet.

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
Black one sold at 506k and Heritage sold at 660k today

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
How often should I change the oil?

I am getting it shipped soon to my place but wondering if I should change all the fluids by Rich Roback before that.

Reactions: roketman

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
The car is valuable enough, vs the cost to change fluids, that unless you know for sure all fluids have been changed within about the past 1-2 years, I'd just do it / have it done.

Reactions: GT@50

donnymac

Defered Ajudication
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 26, 2008
West Texas
Before any workout, I suggest all fluids, belts, hoses and tires get changed. Car is 17/18 years old and needs a re-fresh.

And if there is no transmission cooler, get one added.

Reactions: jaxgt

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
How easy is it to pull battery tender cord out? Something i can do diy?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
That is not a GT feature. Had to be installed by previous owner. Lift the tray out of the front trunk and should be obvious. Disconnect from the battery and should be easy unless wire tied.

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
That is not a GT feature. Had to be installed by previous owner. Lift the tray out of the front trunk and should be obvious. Disconnect from the battery and should be easy unless wire tied.
Sounds like a pain. Any bad thing about putting it in cigarette jack? I have a porsche ctek charger.

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
Sounds like a pain. Any bad thing about putting it in cigarette jack? I have a porsche ctek charger.
Only if the fuse blows.

Reactions: HNS

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
That's how I do it.

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Been doing mine like that for years, no problem, even though I also have the plug through the grille too. Cig ,ighter just more convenient ient

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
How often should I change the oil?

I am getting it shipped soon to my place but wondering if I should change all the fluids by Rich Roback before that.
Yes you should!

Reactions: RPM217

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
How do I hook the car to battery tender? Can I use the cigar jack?
I run the wire out the bottom of the door and close it. Nothing happens to the door or charger.

Reactions: Shawn and PeteK

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Your engine's life blood. Give it a fresh change. This is as dirty as I let mine get. (Not very dirty)

RichGT-0482.jpg

Reactions: analogdesigner

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Don't waste good oil. Do oil analysis. I've extended to 10,000 miles based on my running oil analysis for the past 50,000 miles. Time is even less important in most cases because oil is extremely stable at room temperature. You should change based on time if you don't run the car enough to get to the oil to operating temperature for a half hour or more. Then the oil accumulates moisture from combustion when starting and warming up, but doesn't get hot enough long enough to evaporate it out. Unless you are curating a museum car, just drive the damn thing regularly.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Thanks for the perspective on oil. Wow, a 10,000 mile interval.

And yes, I do drive the thing regularly. No museum piece here.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Remember, it has almost 10 qts of oil. And it's synthetic. It should be good for a lot longer than the 5000 mile recommended change intervals, and my oil analysis trends support that mileage.

Reactions: twobjshelbys