Looking for a low mileage GT

donnymac

Defered Ajudication
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 26, 2008
West Texas
As to your battery concerns, the less you know about the existing battery the concern level elevates. Age, cell condition,
current charge if any, etc. The last thing you need is for that battery to explode. Been there done that but not in a GT.

There are some chargers with a “restore feature”. Most don’t have it. Having no charge on an old battery is asking for trouble. Unless you’re satisfied the battery won’t pop, drop in a new battery And your worry is over.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
A battery should be able to withstand 3 months. It might be "low" but it should recover. However, if it is down, I doubt a couple of hours on the trickle charger would be enough to restore cranking capacity. I used my trickle charger (C-Tek) to charge my truck battery once but it took a few days...

Your dilemma is having the driver change it. They will probably not assume the liability. Jump starting may be your only choice.

On the other hand, they definitely have a protocol for loading and unloading "non operational" vehicles. Reliable was able to load my Cobra without issue (but we had a downhill all the way approach).

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
Why use a trickle charger (or Maintainer) on a potentially weak (or dead) battery? Use a conventional charger with a greater than 2 amp output. Some maintainers will not even power up if they detect a battery voltage below their design threshold.

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
A battery should be able to withstand 3 months. It might be "low" but it should recover. However, if it is down, I doubt a couple of hours on the trickle charger would be enough to restore cranking capacity. I used my trickle charger (C-Tek) to charge my truck battery once but it took a few days...

Your dilemma is having the driver change it. They will probably not assume the liability. Jump starting may be your only choice.

On the other hand, they definitely have a protocol for loading and unloading "non operational" vehicles. Reliable was able to load my Cobra without issue (but we had a downhill all the way approach).
Last time I had a black gt, the trailer was able to use a winch to pull the car onto the trailer.

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018

Should I bother having the employee run the car beforehand? Or does that lower the chance of having sufficient charge later on?

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
Or have them see if it runs and if so, just let it idle for 30 min or so?

Reactions: twobjshelbys

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
Here's a pic of battery replacement procedure.GT front end.jpg

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Man, you're really stressed over this. Why don't you defer losing any more sleep until you know if the battery is charged?

Yes, if it runs you're OK...

I've had my truck parked for 3 months outside in heat that eats batteries for lunch and a decently charged battery always started. This week the truck started misbehaving (symptoms similar to the GT gauges, but nothing so specific) and the battery would start just fine but the battery gauge took forever to reach steady state... Still ran fine though but tested bad. Got a new one for remainder of warranty but really means about 2 to 3 years...

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
If the battery has been sitting in a discharged state for a month or more, it's toast. That's the worst thing to do to a battery. At the very least, its capacity and life have been decreased. Since you say it's been sitting for 3 months, that would be my expectation. Yes, you can jump start it, and I wouldn't worry about the gauges. I've done it several times (I have Speedhut gauges).

It doesn't sound like you are a hard core DIY guy, so save yourself future headaches and just start with a known new Optima battery. $249 at O'Reilly. I just changed mine.

Peel off and keep the sticker from the old one, if it has the Ford GT label on it.

Reactions: Special K

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I concur with Petek. Even if it starts, just get a new battery. Be very careful leaning in to remove it though or you can spring the fender. I used a helper because I couldn't get leverage. If you're not comfortable pay the dealer to swap it with the one you bring in. O'Reilley's and Autozone will not swap it for you.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Nor would I want them to!

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
If the battery has been sitting in a discharged state for a month or more, it's toast. That's the worst thing to do to a battery. At the very least, its capacity and life have been decreased. Since you say it's been sitting for 3 months, that would be my expectation. Yes, you can jump start it, and I wouldn't worry about the gauges. I've done it several times (I have Speedhut gauges).

It doesn't sound like you are a hard core DIY guy, so save yourself future headaches and just start with a known new Optima battery. $249 at O'Reilly. I just changed mine.

Peel off and keep the sticker from the old one, if it has the Ford GT label on it.
I concur, but on a side note, I recently found an old Interstate group 65 that had been sitting in a junk truck since 2007. It was date coded 2006. For $hits and giggles I subjected it to the 30 amp setting on my manual battery charger for 1 hour, then 2 amp trickle for 2 days. Not only did it hold a charge, I’m still using it in a farm truck to see how long it will last. It’s been 4 months so far.

HNS

GT Owner
Mar 11, 2020
East Coast
I concur with Petek. Even if it starts, just get a new battery. Be very careful leaning in to remove it though or you can spring the fender. I used a helper because I couldn't get leverage. If you're not comfortable pay the dealer to swap it with the one you bring in. O'Reilley's and Autozone will not swap it for you.
How does the dealer change out the battery??

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
How does the dealer change out the battery??

Same as anyone else.

I would not trust them. Not that they would purposely damage the car, but they can be as careless as anyone else.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
The service manual says officially you change it from underneath. Never seen anyone do it that way.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
Here's a pic of battery replacement procedure.View attachment 68261
That has a broken casting!

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
28C2334E-DBE4-4CB9-96B7-E277A6AF683B.jpeg

This is a CTEK charger I got for my old 997. Can I use this to trickle charge a Ford GT? Plug it into cigar jack?

Reactions: Simon

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Yes. It has a Li-Ion mode.

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
Doesnt a 05/06 GT have a regular battery?

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
Wondering why having Li ion mode matters