IW 10% underdrive/2.80 FRPP Rear Exit Install

Aug 25, 2006
Thank you for the blow by blow and the honesty in that which you presented with regards that which it took to complete the process.

Takes care

Shadowman

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Great report and workmanship. Thanks for being a pioneer and sharing your experience. I look forward to getting a report on how it works on the road.
:thumbsup

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
Seems like the GT has reached the stage most performance cars reach. Perhaps it's the human condition to become bored with things over time. We all know how big the aftermarket industry is and the many purposes it serves. This thread may just be the beginning of many similar ones to come

SAGT

GT Owner
Dec 21, 2009
So Extreme281 and SAGT what do you think?

I know I am new to this forum and I do not want to upset anyone, but guys come on. Its a balancer! And its built my one of the best dampner manufactures out there. They build stuff for 10,000 rpm racing applications so I honestly think they test more dampners than the Ford Tec's do. I have learned from years of modifying cars that some people are comfortable with modifying there cars and some are not. The ones that are not comfortable "normally" tend to find reasons why its "a bad idea".

I think the assumption that "ford did it so it can not be improved upon" is rediculous. Ford does not have the market on intelligence cornered! How many unmodified motor's from Ford are used in racing applications? NASCAR, NHRA, offroad, ect. None, if you want to be competitive! But thats not the only thing Ford is building them for.

I build allot of offroad race trucks and all are centered around a Ford engine. None, I repeat none have any Ford parts on them! Why? Because the aftermarket has surpassed them in performance. Blocks, cranks, pistons, EFI, ect. Ford has to build around a set of parameters that I do not (profit, EPA, warrantee, differeing grades of gas, varying climates, altitude differences, longevity, ect.). It has to be a "one size fits all" menataity when you are building a production car. I am not by any means saying that everything aftermarket is better, but thinking that Ford engineers are the "end all be all" seems a little niave.

The aftermarket builds for a specific purpose and there are some good ones out there. If my GT was a daily driver and I had to get 150,000 miles out of it then I would not do any mods at all. But thats not the case. I live in Texas. We have 93 octane gas everywhere, low altitude, no emissions test, and I have put less than 2000 miles on the car since I bought it in 2005. I am modifying my car with MY parameters in mind.

The engine in the GT is an incredible engine for a production car. I will give credit where credit is due. No other production powerplant can handle the mods that this engine will handle. A basically stock motor that can handle 1200hp is incredible, but in the racing world its not an engineering feat that no one is qualified to tamper with.

My reason for doing it is to see how for the stock blower will go. To see how close one can you get to whipple level performance with the stock supercharger. As odd as it sounds I did not want to go so far as swapping my stock supercharger. From this thread is seems Extreme 281 and I are Mavericks thats throwing caution into the wind. I am just looking for a couple more pounds of boost for the one time a year I take the car to the Texas Mile.

Thats just my thoughts. No offence meant to anyone.

Last edited:

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
:pop:beer2:

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
:pop:beer2:

LOL

Adran I wondered who you were when you said you had a Hot street car, I know you weren't Matt Jones, cause i talk to him everyonce and a while. Thanks for the pics, i got two motors im doing the innovators on so good to see where there going to rub on and I guess i won't do the 15% custom one Chris at innovators was going to build me.:wink

Btw i c that the Gt timing cover does not require clearancing of the cranktrigger pick up, as it does on the Gt500.

Talk to ya soon.

FLY GT40

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2006
So. Ca.
Extreme 281

Thank you so much for the continued up dates.:thumbsup The photos of of your other toys were great. It is dedicated gear heads like you that keep this all fun .

I nominate you for a Makers Mark toast on me when we meet someday.:cheers

Aug 25, 2006
I know I am new to this forum and I do not want to upset anyone, but guys come on. Its a balancer! And its built my one of the best dampner manufactures out there. They build stuff for 10,000 rpm racing applications so I honestly think they test more dampners than the Ford Tec's do. I have learned from years of modifying cars that some people are comfortable with modifying there cars and some are not. The ones that are not comfortable "normally" tend to find reasons why its "a bad idea".

I think the assumption that "ford did it so it can not be improved upon" is rediculous. Ford does not have the market on intelligence cornered! How many unmodified motor's from Ford are used in racing applications? NASCAR, NHRA, offroad, ect. None, if you want to be competitive! But thats not the only thing Ford is building them for.

I build allot of offroad race trucks and all are centered around a Ford engine. None, I repeat none have any Ford parts on them! Why? Because the aftermarket has surpassed them in performance. Blocks, cranks, pistons, EFI, ect. Ford has to build around a set of parameters that I do not (profit, EPA, warrantee, differeing grades of gas, varying climates, altitude differences, longevity, ect.). It has to be a "one size fits all" menataity when you are building a production car. I am not by any means saying that everything aftermarket is better, but thinking that Ford engineers are the "end all be all" seems a little niave.

The aftermarket builds for a specific purpose and there are some good ones out there. If my GT was a daily driver and I had to get 150,000 miles out of it then I would not do any mods at all. But thats not the case. I live in Texas. We have 93 octane gas everywhere, low altitude, no emissions test, and I have put less than 2000 miles on the car since I bought it in 2005. I am modifying my car with MY parameters in mind.

The engine in the GT is an incredible engine for a production car. I will give credit where credit is due. No other production powerplant can handle the mods that this engine will handle. A basically stock motor that can handle 1200hp is incredible, but in the racing world its not an engineering feat that no one is qualified to tamper with.

My reason for doing it is to see how for the stock blower will go. To see how close one can you get to whipple level performance with the stock supercharger. As odd as it sounds I did not want to go so far as swapping my stock supercharger. From this thread is seems Extreme 281 and I are Mavericks thats throwing caution into the wind. I am just looking for a couple more pounds of boost for the one time a year I take the car to the Texas Mile.

Well shared and I for one remain happy and excited for you.

Tinkering with the gal's is high on my list too as such I can relate in part to that which you are doing.

Thank you again for making all of us a part of your project.

Shadowman

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Wow, not even close! Earlier in this thread there is a link to an older thread where IndyGT contributed a long technical engineering dissertation on the balancer. I read the post with interest and made a couple of conclusions; 1) 80% of what IndyGT was writing about was over my head; 2) I didn't think he was making any of that stuff up and; 3) I vowed NEVER, EVER, to take a side opposed to Indy on any technical topic! Sadly, I've peaked and will never be as good at laying this stuff out as Indy!

Kendall, well said my friend! And very eloquent at that!

Along with excellent contributions from Ice, we try to give technical reason to our fellow owners. Together we try in layman’s terms to help owners understanding general physics. Some try to understand and others choose to go another way which they are certainly free to do. I just like to understand the "whys" before I get my modification wrench out.

It is nice to have a post where all can contribute without animosity or character denigration.

Thanks to you all.

Extreme281

Extreme281
Aug 23, 2009
LOL

Adran I wondered who you were when you said you had a Hot street car, I know you weren't Matt Jones, cause i talk to him everyonce and a while. Thanks for the pics, i got two motors im doing the innovators on so good to see where there going to rub on and I guess i won't do the 15% custom one Chris at innovators was going to build me.:wink

Btw i c that the Gt timing cover does not require clearancing of the cranktrigger pick up, as it does on the Gt500.

Talk to ya soon.

Matts car was a FFW Street Bandit which we ran FFW as well ,Adrian is my older brother actually .You do have to clearance the crank sensor bracket and bolt.The pic was before i cleaned it up and couldnt get a clean enough shot with the balancer on .I can get you the balancer for 800 shipped if that helps .Im thinking about buying Matts car the proline turbo motor .

Extreme281

Extreme281
Aug 23, 2009

Exactly why i did the balancer ,i didnt or would ever go as far as changing the blower on my GT .I should be at the Texas mile in March as well with the MysticTT Cobra .

SAGT

GT Owner
Dec 21, 2009
Exactly why i did the balancer ,i didnt or would ever go as far as changing the blower on my GT .I should be at the Texas mile in March as well with the MysticTT Cobra .

See you there! Sounds like we will have the exact same set-up. I got my IW yesturday. Still waiting on the Mafia.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
SAGT, I hope you feel the same about genetic engineering and plastic surgery.

SAGT

GT Owner
Dec 21, 2009
SAGT, I hope you feel the same about genetic engineering and plastic surgery.

In some cases Plastic surgery is a good thing, genetic engineering not a chance.

Are you really trying to compare me changing my crank balancer to genetic engineering? Or are you thinking Fords creation should be regarded as high as Gods creations?

I am a gear head. I like to tinker with anything that goes vrrooom! My car is 100% stock other than a pulley and a tune! When I was asked what my thoughts were on this thread I posted them and even said a few times I was not trying to offend anyone. Seems your post was meant to do just that.

Last edited:

Yukonranger

GT Owner
Jun 9, 2008
Sagle, ID
It is not just that Ford doesn't have the market on intelligence cornered, there are other factors at play too.

The GT was BUILT TO A PRICE POINT. That is why our two seat aluminium and carbon cars weigh 3450lb. That is why there is a big gap to the side of the heat exchangers. That is why the Ford chassis development engineers can sell us Penske shock and make our cars handle better (Thanks Alex!) Ford did not develop every part to be perfect for this low volume application. Virtually every part on the car can be improved in some way.

I applaud those who use their skill and creativity in a hand on manner to further their interests and hobbies. And, yes, I have a degree in mechanical engineering and I don't think you are going to run over your crankshaft someday because you changed the balancer.

I am off to adjust my camber...

Mike

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
I don't think you are going to run over your crankshaft someday because you changed the balancer.
:lol

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
...and I don't think you are going to run over your crankshaft someday because you changed the balancer.

:lol

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
Some Results....please

OK...I'm just waiting for some results. I don't think our supercharger will make over 17 PSI tops no matter how fast you spin in it. I predict it will drop to 15 PSI at 6500 RPM once you see the peak at around 4000 RPM. If I'm wrong....great....back to the lab. If I'm right, the choice of pulley just determines at what RPM the supercharger peaks out. I think you need a Whipple to get 17PSI or more at 6500 RPM. Can't wait for the dyno results. Hope you have a good vacuum/pressure gauge to correlate the results.

Don

Extreme281

Extreme281
Aug 23, 2009
Finally got the GT dyno ,I was only seeing 14lbs pounds of boost out in Albuquerque N.M. all runs were made on pump gas ,end results were 614/628
Dyno graph
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhyXTbqiVGE

Vids of some short fly-bys
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92ZZS1fxxnI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHtgPDs4yp4

Aug 25, 2006
Finally got the GT dyno ,I was only seeing 14lbs pounds of boost out in Albuquerque N.M. all runs were made on pump gas ,end results were 614/628
Dyno graph
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhyXTbqiVGE

Vids of some short fly-bys
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92ZZS1fxxnI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHtgPDs4yp4

Thank you for sharing; IMO you have her giving you all she will with an OEM supercharger regardless of pulley.

Takes care

Shadowman