I've got a question about Exhaust systems

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Who wants to swap a Borla for an Accufab? Any takers?

I intalled the Accufab this morning.

dsc00002c.jpg

dsc00004q.jpg

It sounds awesome. Scared the kids off when I fired the GT up for the first time. :lol

Thanks Matteo.

Best Regards,
Waldo

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Nice pics, Waldo.

Just an FYI in case you cared....

The hex-head screw with a captive washer that you have in place on the rear-most top of the frame horns (holding the heat shield to the frame rails), is not the OEM-spec fastener for that location. Like the screws in the front of the heatshield, spec calls for a captive-washer T27 Torx (silver).

The (8mm) hex head fasteners are the OEM-spec to fasten the black screens together and to fasten the top screen to the car.

Just being picky, here. Threads on all of these is M6 x 1.0, so from that perspective they do inter-change without damage.

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Kendall,

Thanks for the sharp eye and the post. It's all starting to make sense now. I found a "few" other missing or improper fasteners during the installation.

-Eight of those 8mm hex bolts (along with a like number of black T27 torx) were holding my rear splitter panel.

-Except for two AWOL silver T27 torx fasteners, all of the fasteners holding the rear screens were black T27 torx.

-The black exhaust bracket with the three studs was missing all of the nuts.

The shop that had previously installed the Borla obviously subscribed to the "a bolt is a bolt is a bolt" theory. Another reason I (with input from experts on the Forum) like to work on my own gal. Thanks again for the comments. Should be easy enough to get them all back in the proper spots then next time I pull the splitter.

Best Regards,
Jason

Nice pics, Waldo.

Just an FYI in case you cared....

The hex-head screw with a captive washer that you have in place on the rear-most top of the frame horns (holding the heat shield to the frame rails), is not the OEM-spec fastener for that location. Like the screws in the front of the heatshield, spec calls for a captive-washer T27 Torx (silver).

The (8mm) hex head fasteners are the OEM-spec to fasten the black screens together and to fasten the top screen to the car.

Just being picky, here. Threads on all of these is M6 x 1.0, so from that perspective they do inter-change without damage.

Last edited:

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
looks nice Waldo:thumbsup I wonder if its going to turn gold like mine?

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
looks nice Waldo:thumbsup I wonder if its going to turn gold like mine?

I think it will. I put about 35 miles on her yesterday, and the x-pipe is already starting to show a bit of a gold tint.

I am very happy with the looks and sound of the Accufab.

Best Regards,
Waldo

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
You cannot avoid the gold tint unless you are EP. It is a byproduct of exhaust heat.

Heat tint colour chart
The table below represents the temper colours that are likely to form on stainless steel type 1.4301 (AISI 304) if heated in air.

THIS INFORMATION MUST BE USED WITH CARE WHEN INTREPETING THE HINT TINT COLOURS OBSERVED ON STAINLESS STEEL SURFACES AS THE HEATING CONDITIONS ARE NOT SPECIFIED.

Colour Formed Approx Temperature C
pale yellow 290
straw yellow 340
dark yellow 370
brown 390
purple brown 420
dark purple 450
blue 540
dark blue 600

Most are straw to dark yellow and some brown. I haven't seen any dark blues on a FGT yet, but my old motorcycle had some blue right at the heads.

BillyRay

GT Owner
May 5, 2008
Phoenix
Good Music

My Accufab exhaust sounds like sweet music horns.I had them for 8 mths and no complaints.