In the Market for a Ford GT Again

jammer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2016
The chase is half the fun, and it can be fleeting. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Not sure all do, glad you have an understanding of whats involved.

Right, I knew that going in....

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
The chase is half the fun, and it can be fleeting. Enjoy it while it lasts.

I’ll be the first one to admit I don’t like this part of the process. I like the saving up journey (it’s all about goal setting and meeting goals....just wish it didn’t take so long (6 years come April 1st)) and if the ownership experience is as good as the Diablo is I’ll love that.

The chase part for me is generally a lot of heartache....should I pursue this car or that car, is the seller being truthful, pulling financing together, getting someone to inspect it, traveling to see the car if it passes inspection, arranging for shipping......then there is the post-mortem reflection on the cars that looking back I should have bought.

But I can appreciate that I can go to a high end dealership and feel good about being able to buy a good percentage of whatever is on the lot.

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Not sure all do, glad you have an understanding of whats involved.
I appreciate the heads up, it’s good when experienced owners can help new guys avoid pitfalls.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Yeah you have to watch out for the pelicans.

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Yeah you have to watch out for the pelicans.

LOL..... you would think a car as expensive as a Veyron would have a bird avoidance system....

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Been awhile since I updated my search. The market in my desired price range has been dry so far this year so I'm looking at cars in the next pricing tier up. I took a hard look at a Tungsten car in Montana.....in January. The ask was $260k for a 10k mile car. Within a week though, the owner had 3 offers and I didn't feel like fighting it out with anybody.

I then spent some time looking at Jerry's highly modified white car with 18k miles that had an ask of $265k. Jerry was a great guy to converse with, but the money he had in the mods made it difficult to find a common ground. Some cool stuff for sure, but most of it I really didn't care enough about to pay for. There is a level of mods I would add to a car like the pulley & tune, exhaust, and short shifter, but that's about it. Jerry's car does have the coolest interior around though, I'm always game for adding carbon fiber trim pieces.

Last edited:

Mattksax

Jan 14, 2020
Been awhile since I updated my search. The market in my desired price range has been dry so far this year so I'm looking at cars in the next pricing tier up. I took a hard look at a Tungsten car in Montana.....in January. The ask was $260k for a 10k mile car. Within a week though, the owner had 3 offers and I didn't feel like fighting it out with anybody.

I then spent some time looking at Jerry's highly modified white car with 18k miles that had an ask of $265k. Jerry was a great guy to converse with, but the money he had in the mods made it difficult to find a common ground. Some cool stuff for sure, but most of it I really didn't care enough about to pay for. There is a level of mods I would add to a car like the pulley & tune, exhaust, and short shifter, but that's about it. Jerry's car does have the coolest interior around though, I'm always game for adding carbon fiber trim pieces.

At the moment, I'm looking at a fully stock car again in that $260-290k area. These cars require a level of financing I'm uncomfortable with, but the market is not at furious as the $250k and below one is. More than ever though, ready to go if the right one pops up....pre-approved for a loan and everything.

Nice red with all 4 options one owner care on Hemmings now. 2000
Original miles. 295k. Spoke to owner today. Seemed honest, car has not been serviced or driven <100 miles in a few years. If it was midnight blue/black I’d own it. Or at least try to buy.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Not in the same league - but know your story of the one that got away. A few weeks ago I got a bug up my butt to have the last year of the TDI Touareg Exec for the US which was 2016. Dealers were, IMO, asking too much money. I waited a couple of weeks then resigned myself to call on the top choice on my assembled spreadsheet- 1st color choice (blue), rare optional wheels, un-drilled front bumper, warranty through 2023, lowest asking price - but still high. Sold. Damn! Second choice was white, no opt wheels, $6K more in price. Took me a day to rationalize and I called. Sold. Damn it! Third car on list wasn't Exec model, white, warranty thru 2021..... seconds away from making the call on that one and my phone rings with an unknown number. In a moment of weakness, I answer and it was the dealer with the Blue car telling me that their deal fell through and car was...."I'll TAKE IT!" LOL. I jokingly accused dealer of manufacturing my experience to get my commitment level to the right place. That was 10am in SoCal. Had my plane tickets by noon. Wheels up bound for O'hare at 4pm. Arrived O'hare at midnight, grabbed rental car and drove to hotel in Brookfield, WI. Bank at 9am next day and at dealership at 9:30am. Started the drive West at 10:30am. LOL.

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Not in the same league - but know your story of the one that got away. A few weeks ago I got a bug up my butt to have the last year of the TDI Touareg Exec for the US which was 2016. Dealers were, IMO, asking too much money. I waited a couple of weeks then resigned myself to call on the top choice on my assembled spreadsheet- 1st color choice (blue), rare optional wheels, un-drilled front bumper, warranty through 2023, lowest asking price - but still high. Sold. Damn! Second choice was white, no opt wheels, $6K more in price. Took me a day to rationalize and I called. Sold. Damn it! Third car on list wasn't Exec model, white, warranty thru 2021..... seconds away from making the call on that one and my phone rings with an unknown number. In a moment of weakness, I answer and it was the dealer with the Blue car telling me that their deal fell through and car was...."I'll TAKE IT!" LOL. I jokingly accused dealer of manufacturing my experience to get my commitment level to the right place. That was 10am in SoCal. Had my plane tickets by noon. Wheels up bound for O'hare at 4pm. Arrived O'hare at midnight, grabbed rental car and drove to hotel in Brookfield, WI. Bank at 9am next day and at dealership at 9:30am. Started the drive West at 10:30am. LOL.

LOL, exactly how I feel now....in my case I wish I could take the knowledge I have now back in time to Nov 1st and buy that red car for $235k. 18k miles, pulley, tune, Ford racing exhaust. Like you, I wouldn't hesitate.

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Nice red with all 4 options one owner care on Hemmings now. 2000
Original miles. 295k. Spoke to owner today. Seemed honest, car has not been serviced or driven <100 miles in a few years. If it was midnight blue/black I’d own it. Or at least try to buy.

I just can't see me crossing that threshold of $300k (with takes, shipping, etc). If I could, I would make a beeline to Mr. Eddie's heritage.

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
That red one has been 259 for a while now. Then there's the black one with a chic posing on it for 239 but modded. They have to be the cheapest listed.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
The never ending search. Buy Jerry's car & end this thread!

Ed

Reactions: Iconic GT

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
the Marshall Goldman one is got virtually the same ask.

You mentioned the one at Marshall Goldman. $265,000 seems like a good price on what appears to to be a three option car with a clean Carfax. What did you think about it?

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
The never ending search. Buy Jerry's car & end this thread!

Ed

LOL, seems never ending at times but I’ve only been looking for less than 3 months.

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
You mentioned the one at Marshall Goldman. $265,000 seems like a good price on what appears to to be a three option car with a clean Carfax. What did you think about it?

On the surface it looks like a nice car. The seller reputation is good cars, miserable to work with. I haven't called about it yet.

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
seller reputation is good cars, miserable to work with

I view buying a car like doctors. I will take a crappy miserable bedside manner doctor with superb doctoring skills, over a mediocre doctor that has superb bedside manner. The dealer experience is very short lived, the car is for a long time.

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
I view buying a car like doctors. I will take a crappy miserable bedside manner doctor with superb doctoring skills, over a mediocre doctor that has superb bedside manner. The dealer experience is very short lived, the car is for a long time.

So you don’t adhere to the buy a seller theory?

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
So you don’t adhere to the buy a seller theory?

Apparently not. Good car, good price, proper inspection, pull the trigger before someone else does. As you have found out. Once you drive an "as-is" off the lot, it is yours, no going back, no matter how much the seller smiles. Flooring these cars is very expensive for dealers. From what I have seen, they are commonly on consignment, so you really are not buying from the dealer anyway. Sounds like you are all set to buy. If you cannot do your own inspection, that is a little bit of a time issue. Need to have an inspector ready to go. Seems like Rich and Kendall are the two. Not sure who else is available.

Last edited:

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
My budget has been increased to $240k

Still a good number for me......can go up a little as needed.

With not much going on, I went and drove a Lamborghini Huracan 580-2 and a Ferrari 458. The Huracan is chock full of interesting stuff from a tech POV, and was alot of fun to drive. And really bucks the trend of today's cars by having great sound. The Ferrari came off as elegant but dated. Today, took the Diablo Roadster out for some good old fashion hooliganism.