I wrecked the GT

911teo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 5, 2007
Surrey, UK
2 Degrees C, 850HP, red mist, synthetic grass and the pit wall lane are not a good combination....

I was chasing a Carrera GT at Silverstone, put the external rear past the kerb, lost traction on the green stuff and put the back into the wall....

It was a decent hit, and I was a bit shaken, but fine....

The car coped immensely well, with the rear subframe taking all the hit. The main frame is straight and there is no damage to the suspensions either.

But.... the clamshell is gone, and the gearbox is also toast. So the estimate for the repairs has come to £90k (when importing even parts into the UK we need to pay duties and import taxes than make the cost increase dramatically) so the insurance company deemed it uneconomical to repair.

I wanted to buy the wreck back, since it is all cosmetic damage, but the insurance company is aking so much money for it that it does not make sense at all (askiin circa £60k)....

So after thinking hard about what to do I think I will buy another Ford GT...

Please keep an eye out for me....

I dont want to pay a premium for a low mileage car since i will drive mine a lot (mine had 30k miles on it) and I have all the upgrades already (shocks, brakes, shifter, trans cooler, whipple etc)....

But a bumper delete would be nice... :biggrin

Anyway it is going to be virtually impossible to find another quicksilver, but black, blue or heritage could do :lol

Will call Shelby and Marv later next week.... but if you know of any other cars....

Whilst I wait for the perfect GT to show up I have decided to test the opposition, so will go and drive a Carrera GT, an SLR, an SLS and possibly a Scud.... Should be a fun couple of months....

Ciao for now

Matteo

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
You are OK which is the most important, as you say, cars are replaceable, even our beloved GT. Again glad you are OK.

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
Sounds like you definitely enjoyed your car and plan to keep enjoying!

Glad you're OK and have fun during the search!!

H

HHGT

Sad to hear but glad you're ok.

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
One less GT on the planet now..becoming more rare as time goes on, but so glad you walked away!
Shelby's the guy to call. He has quite a few gems on Ebay right now...

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
That which does not kill us makes us stronger...just think of all the experience you gained. Best news is no injuries. Your adventure will continue...:)

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
You seem so calm describing what happened, glad you are OK.

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
911 TEO:

Curious, what type of tires you were using on that cold day......glad you walked away ?

STUNTS

FORD GT OWNER & LITTLE TIMMYS DAD!
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
Sorry to hear about the unfortunate incident. Glad your OK and in great spirits. Not sure how I would handle the situation ;) best of luck on the search for your next GT! Look fad to hearing and seeing what you get.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Glad to hear your insurance covered and accident at a track! Also glad you are OK. :thumbsup

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
Very glad you're OK. If I was in the UK and did as much track driving as you, I would get the new McLaren. It's size is better suited for driving on UK roads, not to mention the fantasitc suspension it's supposed to have. And, with the exception of something like a Radical.. you would not be chasing anybody, they would be chasing you. Excellent car to drive to the track and around it faster than just about anything.

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Sorry about your "shunt". Glad you are OK.

tony h

GT Owner
Jun 16, 2010
United Kingdom
Glad to hear you are ok - testimony to how strong these cars really are.

Surprised that the ins co wants £60k. We wrote a black 600RE off (4 weeks old and 500 mls on clock) and I know that it was bought as a write off for £13K.

If you want to send me a PM maybe we can figure out a way to buy it - would be good for spares?

Thx - Tony

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
don't sweat it, it's just a car and can be replaced. Get a new one and beat on it like you did this one.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
You're in good company as far as the circumstances are concerned, Matteo.

'Glad things didn't turn out anywhere near as bad as they could have. :thumbsup :cheers

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Teo ,
You should email or call The Gt guys .They can fix any Gt that has had damage .And fix it right.It may be worth investigating that as an option.
Having crashed a few race cars.,I know how you feel.Glad to hear that only your ego is slightly bruised !!!
Wish you a speedy GT recovery….
Ron

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
Teo ,
You should email or call The Gt guys .They can fix any Gt that has had damage .And fix it right.It may be worth investigating that as an option.
Having crashed a few race cars.,I know how you feel.Glad to hear that only your ego is slightly bruised !!!
Wish you a speedy GT recovery….
Ron

There may be a very big cost savings to this approach. Ship the car to Detroit, buy the parts in the U.S. without U.K. import taxes, pay U.S. labor ("labour" for you) rates and ship it back to the U.K. as a U.K. registered car thus no import taxes. I've just spent the weekend at Roketman's place where The GT Guys have been working on our cars. Great guys who know these cars as well as anyone and who have fixed many, many wrecked GTs.

Rob

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
There may be a very big cost savings to this approach. Ship the car to Detroit, buy the parts in the U.S. without U.K. import taxes, pay U.S. labor ("labour" for you) rates and ship it back to the U.K. as a U.K. registered car thus no import taxes. I've just spent the weekend at Roketman's place where The GT Guys have been working on our cars. Great guys who know these cars as well as anyone and who have fixed many, many wrecked GTs.

Rob

Sounds like a great plan other than the high salvage cost.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Sounds like a great plan other than the high salvage cost.

+2

That high salvage cost might be mitigated by beating out the tariff.

STUNTS

FORD GT OWNER & LITTLE TIMMYS DAD!
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
You know, my wife had a great idea... maybe..... buy your car back and part it out????? It could be a bad idea or maybe not ????