I found it.... Bought my new Ford GT yesterday

gtinmyblood

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 23, 2007
Mesa Az/Aspen Co
I have been in the GT fold for 5 years... My old Ford GT passed away on the racetrack, at Silversone, last month. It had been with me for a long time and we had great memories together.

I used it everyday and it had racked up 30k miles up until last month.

This one that I found is completely stock and somehow I am wondering leaving it as it is (my old one had every mod available for the GT done to it, from bumper delete to racing fans, tranny cooler, Whipple, short shift kit, 3-way adj dampers, hot buttons, CF scoops etc....).

The deliberation about the Whipple it is because the spin that put it into the pit wall at Silverstone is still fresh in my memory, and I am rationalizing it by saying that it was a bit much for me....

Ah yes! I remember your story of that experience now.! Congrats on the replacement!

Viper

FORD GT OWNER - U.K.
Aug 9, 2008
Kent UK
Glad you came to your senses Teo.

Great car great colour.

Oh and I want you Porsche

H

HHGT

Congrats. Is this the same car that sold at an auction in europe a few months back?

daytrayd

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 23, 2010
Austin, TX
Congrats man, I recently joined the club and have zero regrets, I wish you the same!

MJSFRX

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 26, 2010
Carlsbad, CA
Congrats and great color choice.

911teo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 5, 2007
Surrey, UK
As promised some pics of the new car...

Shot_05.jpg

Shot_04newCrop-1.jpg

Shot_03.jpg

Shot_02.jpg

911teo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 5, 2007
Surrey, UK
And now some observations....

I went from a car with:

- KW adj suspensions
- AP Racing brakes
- 4.0L Whipple (850 hp on pump gas)
- short shift kit
- bumper delete
- anything else u can think of

to a 100% stock car....

I must say that Ford really got it right the 1st time around.....
Sure I miss the torque the Whipple was giving me at ANY rpm level. But in reality the stock car is so much easier to drive on public roads. With the other car I needed to treat the throttle as if I had eggshells under it, always a little wary that the back could willingly and easily swap places with the front in an instant.

Now I do miss the any gear, any rpm, floor it and pilot a rocket feeling. How do you make 550hp feel slow? Drive 850hp extensively before.... But I find this car so much easier to live with, and to some extent enjoy.

As per the other upgrades.... I have always maintained that the stock brakes were perfectly up to the job unless you were tracking the car... And I am even more convinced now.... plus I am happy about the lack of the clacking noise the floating rotors were making.

The KW shocks vs stock debate is a little more difficult... I didn't think the other car was less comfortable than the stock. But it was clear that it was just a little stiffer (better and more controlled body roll) and lower.... So that possibly is an upgrade that I miss...

The transmission cooler is a no brainer and it will go on this car too....

The Stillen clutch was light and yet sharp and I will get another one when the time comes.

The short-shift kit is a bit of a gimmick and I don't think I will install it on the new car.

Bumper delete... I think the car looks so much better without it.... Having said that, Ford spent a small fortune for the Euro cars with the electrics and the look of the reverse and fog lights.... And here in the UK it is $6,500 worth of new parts to do it, so right now it will stay on....

The 6-point harness will not go back in (no more track duty on this car) together with the harness bar (which is achingly beautiful, even if hidden behind the seats...)

Hot buttons are going back on, not sure abt the shift bezel...

Thinking of swapping the wheels with some 19/20.... but have not found the right design yet....

That's it for now....

Ciao!

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
A blue no stripe especially with non option wheels, makes me think of "centerpunch's" car.

Looks awesome! I really think you should not paint on stripes, as you mention in an earlier post. So rare as it is. If you need to mix it up, and add stripes... use vinyl that's reversible.

Nafod

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Absolutely stunning. Congrats. I agree with Specracer, I wouldn't add a stripe. Maybe just the "Ford GT" Vinyl from the side stripe.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Stay stock....esp in that color/wheel combo

Quiet, smooth, sleek driving for free

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
NO STRIPE!!
Thats the beauty of the car.It gives the car a unique and rare quality.
I’d rather get rid of the rear bumper ,than change wheels. If I had to choose.

Last edited:

911teo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 5, 2007
Surrey, UK
These are the wheels I am considering (amongst others)

Stock

IMG_5468.jpg

ADV 5 3-piece

FordGTADV503piece.jpg

ADV 05

FordGTADV05.jpg

RADGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 31, 2006
Connecticut
I am old school and I lobve my stock wheels on my midnight blue but that being said, nect pic wheels painted Matte Black to carry the no stripe theme would be killer.

Belgiumbarry

Sep 3, 2009
great car , great color Matteo :thumbsup:thumbsup
nice to see you have your new ride....

oh, and if i "may" say something.. stock wheels look just fine with that color... attention is divided car-wheels... the replacements you show here demand to "much" attention and let the car as in the background...ofcourse can be the photoshop effect...

enjoy !

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Teo, that first picture is BEAUTIFUL!!! Very nicely done!!!

As for your take on the car, I agree wholeheartedly that Ford DID get it right. I look at the 'tweaks' as "personalizations" since you can't really improve on perfection. So to personalize, I agree, get the new coilovers, get the hot buttons, get the trans cooler, and the Stillen clutch. I'd go with the short shift (I really do love mine), but that's a personal decision since the stock shifter is a little smoother. I would add back in the harness bar, even if you don't put the 6 point belts in, that bar is so gorgeous, and it works as a rear window seat stop too!!! And I'd get some aftermarket wheels, but like you said, when you find a style that you like. It's nice to change things up from time to time. Only thing I'd add to your list are the engine caps in CF/Blue Ano from site sponsor Project 321.

Anyway, LOVE your car, she looks great. Congrats again on finding such a beauty. Can you send me a high res pic of your first shot (1superfly@gmail.com). I just love that, and I'd like to use it as one of my screensaver shots on my computer. This one:

Shot_05.jpg

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
As for the aftermarket wheels choices, are those 19/20 or 20/21? They look REALLY big. Have you seen the Adv 5.1's? I posted some pics of some cars in Calgary with some aftermarket wheels in this thread: http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?20048-Some-wheel-alternatives-for-our-GT-s

911teo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 5, 2007
Surrey, UK
Will send you the file tonight! I saved them at home.

I think that thread you posted gave me the inspiration to ask ADV1.... Their ADV1 5 1 piece is another set I looked at... in deep concave....

The pictures I posted are rendition Carlos @ ADV1 did for me to visualize the wheels on the car so they may not be in scale. I am going 19/20 to put the new Michelin SS on them.

DanQ

GT Owner
Aug 18, 2005
Lake Zurich, IL
I'm partial (blue no stripe) but I think the stock wheels "look" right. If you want a change; use AZGT's idea. Take the factory center caps off and replace with small f150 caps and new lug nuts. I got mine from Torrie. These have the added benefit of being easy to keep clean

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?14121-Standard-Wheel-Custom-Center-Cap

attachment.php

attachment.php

4 X 7L1Z-1130-CB center caps
20 X 4R3Z1012-AA lug nuts

Last edited:

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Congratulations. It looks exactly like my current blue no stripe. i.e.,stock wheels, side stripes removed, etc. Enjoy!

911teo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 5, 2007
Surrey, UK
I'm partial (blue no stripe) but I think the stock wheels "look" right. If you want a change; use AZGT's idea. Take the factory center caps off and replace with small f150 caps and new lug nuts. I got mine from Torrie. These have the added benefit of being easy to keep clean

attachment.php

attachment.php

4 X 7L1Z-1130-CB center caps
20 X 4R3Z1012-AA lug nuts

Dan

I love the stock wheels with the no stripes.... Very retro....

The only reason I am looking at new wheels is tyre availability. The Goodyears (which I am not particularry fond of) are getting more and more difficult to get, and the B-stone RE 050 are also getting tricky.

The new Michelin SS is meant to be a fantastic tyre and they do a 315/30-20 which is perfect for our car....