I finally did it.

jkgt

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2006
Colorado
I picked up my heritage GT and went for a 130 mile drive last night. Man oh Man was it the best time of my life. The car is everything and more than I ever wanted out of a car. I am new to the forum. My name is Joe and I live in colorado. I really dont know what else to say but hi to all and I hope I meet all of you at some point. You all must love the GT as much as I do.

Side question 1) How can I tell what number my car is. Is it the ROT #. I will start to go through the paper work here shortly, but figured I would ask as well.

Side question 2) Is there any one in the Colorado area that has a good dealer that actually knows "something" about the car. I was told the only certified tech in colorado is at Phil long in the springs. Is that true?

Thanks before hand,

Joe

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Congrats, isnt it the real deal, just cannot explain it till youve driven it!!!!. On your window sticker on the right hand corner is your vin, also you will see on the title a long number and in your case 06 is in the middle for 2006, after all that the last 4 numbers is your build number. Remember heritage were taken off the line for all sorts of special prep, so your sequence from the vin to the BUILD DATE WHICH IS IN THE DOOR JAB OF THE DRIVERS SIDE COULD BE OFF!!Enjoy, when you get time pm me as we have been setting a mini registry . thanks gtjoey 1314 :thumbsup

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Joe, shhhhhhh! You're gonna get everbody mad here talking about the GT like that. You see, there's an unwritten secret plan here that every member is going to buy a second one - and several people have already executed on this plan. So, we have to all conspire together to keep quiet about how great of a car the GT is and how downright enjoyable it is to get out and drive it!

On a serious note, welcome aboard!

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
Congratulations on your new Heritage GT!

Please post pics when you get a chance.

Eric

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Congratulations and welcome to the forum, Joe! :cheers

jkgt

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2006
Colorado
THANKS for the warm welcome. I feel honored to be a part of this great car.

I have read the oil change post and wanted to add a question. I asked my dealer how much an oil change would cost, he first said $45. I said the oil alone has to cost more than that will you please find out what it will really cost. He then comes back with $600. Does any one know what a dealer is suppose to charge?

Thanks
joe

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
Average seems to be $250. Six hundred dollars is WAY too expensive.

Eric

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
10 quarts of 5W50 synthetic at $10 a quart, $35 for the filter, the rest is labor. But this is semi big job to drop the 2 pans, pull three drain plugs and put everything back together. There are several threads here on the forum. Look to Analogdesigner for jack pads, a must to carry in your car.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
There is no "guidance" pricing for GT service or repair. Someplace between $200 and $250 seems to be the range for oil changes.

I'm aware of two GT owners that paid $211 for their oil change. Work was done at two different Ford dealerships in different states.

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
Many congrats! I live in SoCal now, but I grew up in Golden and that is a beautiful area to drive a GT. Obviously watch out for the sand that seems to gather in every intersection (as a result of the winter snow removal process...yet it hangs around throughout the summers usually). Some shots of a heritage with the rockies in the background would be awesome.

Enjoy!!!

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
Ford manual says Motorcraft 5w50 full synthetic or EQUIVALENT.

You can get Castrol fully synthetic Syntec 5w50 at Wal-Mart for $5.52 a quart...

Eric

Last edited:

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
JKGT, welcome to the club. As you will learn shortly we are all passionate about our cars! You simply have to drive one to understand! It's a GT thing.

Your oil change is a way off and many threads talk to the oil change procedure. Let me preface this by saying I do NOT work in any way for Ford, but I simply see no rational explanation from deviating from the fluid recommendations made by the engineering team who designed, built and tested our cars. Cost should not be an issue if you purchased a GT let alone a Heritage. Be good to your car and know no warranty claims (heaven forbid) will ever be questioned due to inappropriate lubricants. Splurge on the Motorcraft stuff and enjoy the ride!

STUNTS

FORD GT OWNER & LITTLE TIMMYS DAD!
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
Welcome to the club!!!! The heritage would definitely look nice in the Rockies. My oil change was about 250$

jkgt

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2006
Colorado
To all that asked for pics. You shall recieve. I am taking a trip over the mountain in two weeks. I will take some pic for you (and me!!) I talked to the tech today the does all the work on the GT's here in town today and the oil change does cost $250. He also said the first oil change is a little more because it is recommended to replace the oil cap due to reseal problems. Anyone else heard of this? He went on to say the car was a 9 quart dry sump system. That has me a little worried because (correct me if I am wrong) everything I have read stats that it is a 12 quart system.

Thanks again to everyone for a warm welcome.

Joe

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Joe,

The oil cap does not have any re-sealing problems and can/should be re-used.

Ford instructions say quite clearly to add 9.5 qts. of oil after a change.

List price on the oil filter is ~$27 and oil is $9/qt. Figure about $117 in parts. Should be less than 1-hour of labor. $250 total sounds high.

I don't like your tech.