How Many left?

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
any one know anything about the 05 Gulf blue car and what happened to it? The (probably a showcar) line always peaks my curiosity. :lol

cobrajeff

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 5, 2006
Daytona Beach
5-0036

Yep -

I finally found out the VIN for that one. Sat down with Ron Renaud of Saleen at Carlisle, and he gave me the scoop.

The car was 5-0036, a Ford test (prototype) car. Originally painted Gulf Blue, later disassembled and repainted Tungsten Grey for a Saleen executive (who never took delivery of the car). Recently acquired by a gentleman in Michigan. The car was on display in Saleen's Troy showroom in September, 2006 when I went for a follow-up tour.

Note: This note has been edited (May, 2015) to fix broken picture links and add new photos.

regards,

Jeff

Attachments

• 5-0036 Original.jpg
    5-0036 Original.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 172
  • 5-0036 Tungsten (Small).JPG
    5-0036 Tungsten (Small).JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 191
  • 5-0036 repainted (Large) (Small).jpg
    5-0036 repainted (Large) (Small).jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
That in itself would be quite rare, a 2005 Tungsten! Is that a one-off?

cobrajeff

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 5, 2006
Daytona Beach
'05 Tungsten

Ralphie -

Yes, that's a one-off, but, I am counting it as a one-off Gulf Blue car (as that was how it was originally painted). The Tungsten Grey color was done later at Saleen, so I don't recognize that as the "original" color. Ford records indicate the car was painted Gulf Blue WITH the Epic Orange stripes - so far, my study of it does not support that. I think it was Gulf Blue, then had black side stripes added, then was completely disassembled at Saleen and repainted to make it Tungsten Grey.

regards,

[
GT_Card.JPG

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Correct. It was gulf blue with no stripes and then was painted tungsten and that is how it currently is. There's a picture of it when it was Gulf Blue in one of the Ford GT books I have, and I think it has the side stripes in it there. Maybe the yearbook?

The guy who bought the remnants of Saleen sold it to another local guy who handled some of the asset liquidation. It's being used as a road car.

GTNJ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 21, 2006
State of Confusion
-
The car was 5-0036, a Ford test (prototype) car. Originally painted Gulf Blue, later disassembled and repainted Tungsten Grey .

Jeff .................. If the car was repainted Tungsten Grey, does that deminish it's value as a 1 off?

--

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Jeff .................. If the car was repainted Tungsten Grey, does that deminish it's value as a 1 off?--

Either way - it's a one-off, as there were no other 2005 Tungsten or Heritage cars.

Of the 4038 built, is there a way to learn the details; 05's built, 06's, color combinations, etc? I'm interested in finding out how many 06 Black (no stripe) three option cars were produced. Thanks.

Nicec2s
According to the SVT-Book 2005 in black all stripes delete 58 cars, 2006 only 55, so altogether 113 built !

BlackIce and Ralphie are both correct - the "radio delete" option was not avaialble to order for US or Canadian units. It was part of the spec for European exports.

All European exports (101 cars) were built with radio delete. I do not know for sure, but I doubt they would tool a "delete plate" for 101 units. My guess is they were built with a hole in the dash, and left the radio choice up to Capricorn or the selling dealer.

All Canadian export models (277 cars) were built with the Standard radio. The McIntosh option was not available in Canada, the weight offset of the subwoofer was traded for the additional weight of the Canadian bumper reinforcements & bracket extensions.

For those requesting individual runs of "how many like mine did they make", please include your name and address info, and a picture of your car - let's SHARE info, OK? Your address is not published or shared, and name can be withheld if desired. I have pictures of over 1,000 GTs identified by VIN number - someday, maybe I can get them all.

regards,

Jeff

Hello Jeff, are you still collecting pics of all vin's with pic of the car ?

How about mine ? Vin is 1FAFP90S65Y400834 built 4/11/2011 all stripes delete, midnight blue metallic, only 14 built in 2005, and 7 more in 2006

Mark McGowan

Ford GT Team Alumni
Jul 31, 2006
Here she is in blue after snow testing

Attachments

• Snow gt 1.jpg
    Snow gt 1.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 370

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Tow hook just in case.....

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Here she is in blue after snow testing

Been there, done that too

Darthvader

Aug 4, 2007
LufkinTexas
I have put 103 totals back on the road and scraped 3, I know of 2 other dealers who have scraped another half dozen and build or sold another 50 totaled. There are many under the radar that have been wrecked and repaired and no claims files, but if I had to guess less than 50 have been put completely out of commission.

Ramair

GT Owner
Mar 23, 2015
Wrecked meaning 10% gone, totaled? Or accident, repaired and back on the road?

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Correct. It was gulf blue with no stripes and then was painted tungsten and that is how it currently is. There's a picture of it when it was Gulf Blue in one of the Ford GT books I have, and I think it has the side stripes in it there. Maybe the yearbook?

The guy who bought the remnants of Saleen sold it to another local guy who handled some of the asset liquidation. It's being used as a road car.

Dave,

I thought the GT Guys took that car apart and repainted it Gulf Blue with no stripes again to return it to it's original state. I saw photos somewhere as well. Am I that screwed up or is that GT blue again?

Chip

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida

Last edited:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Dave,

I thought the GT Guys took that car apart and repainted it Gulf Blue with no stripes again to return it to it's original state. I saw photos somewhere as well. Am I that screwed up or is that GT blue again?

Chip

Look at the date on the post you quoted :lol

The guy that had it was actually right around the corner for us. Changed hands a couple times since he had it back then and got painted blue after he sold it.

Darthvader

Aug 4, 2007
LufkinTexas

I purchased this car 3 years ago in its tungsten Grey Form and sent it to The GT Guys and had it disassembled and repainted back its original gulf blue, sent it to GT Joey and had his stamp of approval put on it and sold it to the current owner for a record number. One of my favorite out of the several hundred I have owned< wasn't much for a driver but had major cool factor and rarity!

RickH

GT Owner
Mar 5, 2015
Florida
Darthvader,

Wow! As my kids say "you're a player". Good for you. I want to be like you when I grow up!

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Lmao!!!!

Last edited: