Has anyone put down a deposit yet?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
We had this very 'debate' on The 'Forum several years back...and it got ugly as I recall.

In the end, it didn't change anyone's views back then any more than it will now, I suspect...

(An aside [and, knowing this group, I really do hesitate to bring this up :facepalm: ]: Back when I was a kid, had any car dealer even thought about adding a 2nd sticker to his cars, he'd have been tarred and feathered and run out of town on a rail [figuratively speaking]. Once word got out he was doing that [and it wouldn't have taken long!], his dealership would have 'folded' like a cheap tent. Like it or NOT, agree with it or not, scream at me for having mentioned it or not, lecture me on the free market for mentioning it or not, that is what would have happened back then. No dealer [Ford/GM/Chrys/"Nash"/Stude, Hudson or whatever 'Detroit' make] did that.)

(Yes, I know "things are different today" [boy, are they...in more than ONE area].)

('Going to my room now... :leaving:)

Last edited:

Roadtrip

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2006
This is why I hope Ford does a loyalty program. The '06 Viper GTS was only available to "original owners" of the RT/10 and was offered at sticker... You pick the dealer, placed your order and could even have the VIN match your RT... If this was the case, I could buy one (to keep, not flip).

Otherwise, I too believe that the ADM will make a very low production car (under 1000) out of my hands for awhile.

However, I don't disagree with ADM, its a free market and its a business. The '06 Viper model I mentioned above would be the only way Ford could limit ADM, but in the end if they only produced a handful of cars, a dealer would be forced to train a tech, buy the tools and be able to service the car.. Not a very profitable scenario for the chosen dealer, for just a handful of cars.

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
I asked. They looked at me like I was talking nonsense

The dealers are clueless, and will probably not even get word of this news until next month!! It will be a long wait. I waited years to "get on a list" and deposit for the 2005 GT.

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
Thanks Tim.

gilly6993

May 16, 2011
I emailed my local dealer asking them if they would start a list with deposits.....we'll see.....I'm willing to put down at least $10K as long as the paperwork is signed that it's refundable if they can't get one, which shouldn't be an issue.....

Return email is they would love for me to come in and test drive the new Ford Mustang....

Last edited:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I emailed my local dealer asking them if they would start a list with deposits.....we'll see.....I'm willing to put down at least $10K as long as the paperwork is signed that it's refundable if they can't get one, which shouldn't be an issue.....

So did I. I would do a deposit if refundable (should something unforeseen happen) and at MSRP.

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
I called two dealers, they don't know anything. All I wanted was to give my name and number and to have the sales manager call me.

I doubt Ford will do any sort of loyalty thing, though it would certainly be nice if they did. I think past Heritage owners should be first on the list ;-)

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I doubt Ford will do any sort of loyalty thing

Someone (I think here) suggested that the way to avoid the ADM gouging would be for Ford to build only ordered cars with a deposit. If the production numbers are accurate, there won't be enough for even the big dealers to have one in the showroom.

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
called local dealer. They at least knew about the car but said it was too early for a list and deposit. He took my name though.

I'll be calling back from time to time to push them along.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Wait til 2nd or last year...

Plenty of people go broke, divorce, belly-up, and or flake in less time....many dealers will do MSRP w/smile and free lunch...Maine Lobster in my case from Saco Ford.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
ADMs kill brand loyalty. Yes, guys will pay them but most hate them. The resentment lasts long.

The one thing I admire about Tesla is the one price, no haggle (thus no dealer) approach.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
However, I don't disagree with ADM, its a free market and its a business.

It is not a free market. In fact, it is highly regulated to protect dealers. Witness the Tesla legal pushback. How dare they sell direct?

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Ford can't and would never sell direct, everyone purchases through a FORD dealer somewhere. You can go to the Bank on that.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I'm on a list, but I don't know what that means yet. It might be a "list for a list". They won't take deposits until pricing/availability is known. He is not confident this is going to be cheap.

gtr

Dec 2, 2010
Trying and no luck so far. I'm really hoping it will be $185K or less. I guess it will depend on how many cars they will build.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Ford can't and would never sell direct, everyone purchases through a FORD dealer somewhere. You can go to the Bank on that.

Technically you are right. But Ford did "favors" for many buyers of the GT. "Go talk to dealer xyz, give them my name and tell them we will contact them about getting them an allocation for you." I heard more than one story like that. So, while the sale wasn't transacted directly through Ford, they in fact made some decisions on who could buy them. "Mr. dealer, are you interested in making a quick $10K? If not, we can transact this through another dealer. Your call."

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA

B. West

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2012
Irvine, CA
You all do realize this car is 18-20 months away. Everything being mentioned to this point on pricing, allocation, distribution is pure speculation. The production is going to be so limited, most of your dealers will never see one. Keep in mind.....this is a global vehicle now. This car will be distributed worldwide. All we can do is hope and pray that there is some sort of lottery. The majority of these car will go to VIP clients and the public will only have an opportunity to purchase it on the secondary market. In terms of an addendum, this is free enterprise. Not to go into detail about dealer franchises but, dealers purchased a franchise to receive exclusive products from the manufacturer. An MSRP is placed on the vehicle from the factory, however, the dealer is well within their rights to sell this or any other car for whatever a willing buyer will pay. Hence.....free enterprise. These cars are not just sitting there waiting for a customer to come pay $100k+ over sticker. The longer a car sits there, the more it cost a dealer in the form of opportunity cost, flooring, lot damage, insurance, etc. There are many factors that go into a dealer's selling price. Would we all like to get one at invoice?? Sure, but will it happen? Unlikely.

fecarman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 18, 2007
Right now, dealers know absolutely zero about pricing and allocation. As a dealer I can say you are on a list. a list of " I don't know anything but when I do, I will let you know". This has been a well kept secret. The general public knows more than most dealers have been told . It will be interesting how Ford prices the car since Acura is talking $150K (quoted from an internet article) for theirs which comes out in Sept of 2015. GT prices have been rumored here in Detroit at about twice that price. I think the Acura is very well executed especially the interior and the rear of the car. Acura V6TT 550HP. Ford V6TT 600HP. Electric drive motors on Acura are interesting. This is the same technology as today's locomotive.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Seriously, please listen to these guys.

If you get your name put on a list of any kind at a dealer, it isn't worth the hypothetical paper it's written on.

If you give a deposit of any kind to a dealer, you are giving them an interest free loan with an extremely high probability you get nothing in return when it's paid back.

The vast majority of dealers will never, ever touch this car.

You all do realize this car is 18-20 months away. Everything being mentioned to this point on pricing, allocation, distribution is pure speculation. The production is going to be so limited, most of your dealers will never see one. Keep in mind.....this is a global vehicle now. This car will be distributed worldwide. All we can do is hope and pray that there is some sort of lottery. The majority of these car will go to VIP clients and the public will only have an opportunity to purchase it on the secondary market. In terms of an addendum, this is free enterprise. Not to go into detail about dealer franchises but, dealers purchased a franchise to receive exclusive products from the manufacturer. An MSRP is placed on the vehicle from the factory, however, the dealer is well within their rights to sell this or any other car for whatever a willing buyer will pay. Hence.....free enterprise. These cars are not just sitting there waiting for a customer to come pay $100k+ over sticker. The longer a car sits there, the more it cost a dealer in the form of opportunity cost, flooring, lot damage, insurance, etc. There are many factors that go into a dealer's selling price. Would we all like to get one at invoice?? Sure, but will it happen? Unlikely.

Right now, dealers know absolutely zero about pricing and allocation. As a dealer I can say you are on a list. a list of " I don't know anything but when I do, I will let you know". This has been a well kept secret. The general public knows more than most dealers have been told . It will be interesting how Ford prices the car since Acura is talking $150K (quoted from an internet article) for theirs which comes out in Sept of 2015. GT prices have been rumored here in Detroit at about twice that price. I think the Acura is very well executed especially the interior and the rear of the car. Acura V6TT 550HP. Ford V6TT 600HP. Electric drive motors on Acura are interesting. This is the same technology as today's locomotive.