Has anyone put down a deposit yet?

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Seriously, please listen to these guys.

If you get your name put on a list of any kind at a dealer, it isn't worth the hypothetical paper it's written on.

If you give a deposit of any kind to a dealer, you are giving them an interest free loan with an extremely high probability you get nothing in return when it's paid back.

The vast majority of dealers will never, ever touch this car.

I agree with the caution alert, but I guess I have a little more faith in humanity. To a very high degree it depends on how high in the dealership food chain you go. I'm on a list but don't have to give him any money until things are known, and if he won't do a refundable deposit (regardless of how big it is) I'll stop the process then and there. If there is a penny above MSRP it will end then and there. I want one, but I still have common sense and don't feel I need one (the definition of addiction). I'd be willing to put $500 down to hold a spot (refundable, instead of playing craps next week) and then put down the (refundable) deposit for the order. I always specify refundable since I don't know what might happen tomorrow. Just to let you know my horizon, I was reluctant to buy Fleetwood Mac tickets in April. As they say, s**t happens.

DBK, you know who I'm talking to in Vegas. Straight up, no strings. The only question is whether or not my position on the hypothetical list means anything. Time will tell.

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
Trying and no luck so far. I'm really hoping it will be $185K or less. I guess it will depend on how many cars they will build.

This is NOT a 185k car, no matter which way you slice it...I wouldn't get my hopes up. I think we're in another league.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
You guys are really dumb. I already sent my deposit to Shelby!

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I agree with the caution alert, but I guess I have a little more faith in humanity.

DBK, you know who I'm talking to in Vegas. Straight up, no strings. The only question is whether or not my position on the hypothetical list means anything. Time will tell.

Honestly, I wasn't saying that as an insinuation that anyone would be trying anything unscrupulous, but the reality is that volumes will not be high and odds are most dealers people are calling will just never see one. I've talked to some people calling around to all their local dealers, and it's a near certainty that they are wasting their time. For a variety of reasons, it just doesn't make sense to sell a car like this out of any dealer that happens to have a number picked.

You certainly have much more probable local options than most.

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
I am a Ford dealer and I know nothing about it. And I sell more Gt500s and Saleen Mustangs than any dealer I know. So I consider my store somewhat hi performance oriented. I do know that I will be keeping one considering I let an earlier GT slip away. But I am on pins and needles waiting to see what this new supercar is......

If you get one... I will take it off your hands!