Halon system installed with a hockey puck and an elbow brace

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
I wanted to protect the Safecraft halon bottle from being damaged by the hose clamp and bracket after installation.

A hockey puck is almost the same diameter as the bottle, and when placed on the frame rail, positions it at what seems to be just about the right height.

Because the bottle is supported by the frame rail, it does not need to be suspended by the hose clamp. The elbow brace allows the clamp to be tightened without cutting into the bottle finish.

SDC11052.jpg

SDC11044.jpg

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
The FRPP version has two clamps which IMO provides more secure mounting from the factory. It looks like the tank relies on only one clamp with some of the vertical load taken by the thin body panel.

Last edited:

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
As a Canadian I'm very curious how a Texan could have a hockey puck handy to use for this!

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
MTV8,

Very nice job and looks great! Don't worry about Clinton's comments. He's a Cool Tech hater and ALWAYS will find a way to condemn, ridicule, critique, etc. But, as is the case here, he has never had and likely has never seen the Cool Tech cooler up close so he doesn't have a clue what he speaks of. His only intent is to put our products down. Sad life, eh?

Fracman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Houston, TX
Great idea!

I do second the question on a hockey puck in Houston...

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
As a Canadian, I like the fact that Hockey pucks are used so prevalently in the GT (jacking points, and now the Halon bottle). Just one more reason for me to think that the Heritage GT's are really Edmonton Oilers colours (colors for our US friends) rather than Gulf colours...... :biggrin

On a serious note though, while I KNOW I've got more than a dozen hockey pucks in my garage or hockey bag, I wonder where you'd find one lying around your house? Or even think to use one in this situation? Well done MTV8, well done indeed.

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
I recall back in the day (70's) that Gordie Howe played hockey for the WHL Houston Aeros. Perhaps a puck was left over from that era.

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
Yes, hockey pucks were surprisingly difficult to find. I believe they are officially known down here as circular rubber things. I originally tracked them down to use at the lifting points.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
MTV8,

Very nice job and looks great! Don't worry about Clinton's comments. He's a Cool Tech hater and ALWAYS will find a way to condemn, ridicule, critique, etc. But, as is the case here, he has never had and likely has never seen the Cool Tech cooler up close so he doesn't have a clue what he speaks of. His only intent is to put our products down. Sad life, eh?

I don't have a gripe with you, or Cool Tech and in fact I have personally and on this forum refered many owners to your shop.

From an engineering stand point you don't normally design a load to have a single connection point when the load is subject to vibration. This can work hardened the clamp leading to failure. Ask any mechanical engineer they will say the same. Indy Raphie?

Maybe you should include a hockey puck with your system. :lol

Last edited:

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Where's the hockey puck in the photos? Wasn't there a thread in the past about hockey pucks for jacking up the GT?

Ed

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
...From an engineering stand point you don't normally design a load to have a single connection point when the load is subject to vibration. This can work hardened the clamp leading to failure. Ask any mechanical engineer they will say the same. Indy, Raphie?....

When I installed my halon system from Kendall, I had the same concern, and called him to send me another bracket so that the bottle would be mounted at 2 locations. However, since I have the FRPP transaxle cooler, we determined that they (Safecraft) had sent me the wrong bracket. The correct one came, and it holds the bottle with 2 clamping straps so it wasn't necessary for me to change anything.

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
The hockey puck is in the 2nd pic, look at the bottom of the bottle.

GTED

Where's the hockey puck in the photos? Wasn't there a thread in the past about hockey pucks for jacking up the GT?

Ed

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Let me ask a dumb question: you used ther puck for alignment-positioning purposes only (up/down) ?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
To my eye, the system bottle is sitting up too high. Mine sits much lower and the hose passes through the hole in the mounting bracket. FYI, GTGuys installed it and I talked to ShadowMan before the install. Most of the earlier systems (I was an early adopter) were mounted with the bottle much lower. I have the Ford cooler.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I use hockey pucks to jack up my car, either with a floor jack, or my lifts scissor jack.

Wasn't there a thread in the past about hockey pucks for jacking up the GT?

Ed

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
From an engineering stand point you don't normally design a load to have a single connection point when the load is subject to vibration. This can work hardened the clamp leading to failure. Ask any mechanical engineer they will say the same. Indy Raphie?

Actually, the Safecraft instructions that come with the kit state that the bottle can be placed on the frame rail. If you are concerned with using the most structurally sound method of installation, I would think that having the bottle supported from below is more secure than leaving it suspended by any number of clamps.

Last edited:

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
Let me ask a dumb question: you used ther puck for alignment-positioning purposes only (up/down) ?

That is correct, only vertical adjustment is available. The horizontal position is set by the bracket.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006

We are not dealing with hypotheticals here. We're dealing with a design that has been on the market for many years - with absolutely NO concerns and NO failures of any kind. At Cool Tech, we have sold more Halon systems from Safecraft than anyone else on the planet. This includes FRPP-mounted systems AND Cool Tech LLC mounted systems. Additionally, we have installed BOTH onto the Cool Tech Transaxle Cooler AND the FRPP bracket - many times.

The FRPP transaxle cooler bracket is massive - easily 2X the weight and size of the Cool Tech bracket. A different mounting system is employed on this bracket. BOTH have proven to be very reliable with no clamp failures and no issues. So, tell us Clinton, how many of these have you personally installed. We've done DOZENS - easily. How many Halon systems have you installed onto Cool Tech brackets? Why don't we share with the community how way back when you DID try to build your own bracket and with all of your Mechanical Engineering prowess, you couldn't do it. Maybe we can share that you begged and begged and then had others beg for you, to try to get one of our brackets - only we wouldn't sell one to you. So, is it really that you think the Cool Tech design is so inferior to the FRPP set-up or maybe, just maybe, you are still sore because of your failure to create a design or to acquire ours which you obviously very much wanted??

MTV8 - sorry for the diversion. I really like your install with a very nice enhancement and with a degree of personal touch. I see you also elected to use a very nice clamp - also customized from what is standard. Again, I applaud the installation - a job well done.

Chris A.

GT #32
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2007
Ortega Mountain, CA

1429316_460s.jpg

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
We are not dealing with hypotheticals here. We're dealing with a design that has been on the market for many years - with absolutely NO concerns and NO failures of any kind. At Cool Tech, we have sold more Halon systems from Safecraft than anyone else on the planet. This includes FRPP-mounted systems AND Cool Tech LLC mounted systems. Additionally, we have installed BOTH onto the Cool Tech Transaxle Cooler AND the FRPP bracket - many times.

The FRPP transaxle cooler bracket is massive - easily 2X the weight and size of the Cool Tech bracket. A different mounting system is employed on this bracket. BOTH have proven to be very reliable with no clamp failures and no issues. So, tell us Clinton, how many of these have you personally installed. We've done DOZENS - easily. How many Halon systems have you installed onto Cool Tech brackets? Why don't we share with the community how way back when you DID try to build your own bracket and with all of your Mechanical Engineering prowess, you couldn't do it. Maybe we can share that you begged and begged and then had others beg for you, to try to get one of our brackets - only we wouldn't sell one to you. So, is it really that you think the Cool Tech design is so inferior to the FRPP set-up or maybe, just maybe, you are still sore because of your failure to create a design or to acquire ours which you obviously very much wanted??

MTV8 - sorry for the diversion. I really like your install with a very nice enhancement and with a degree of personal touch. I see you also elected to use a very nice clamp - also customized from what is standard. Again, I applaud the installation - a job well done.

Yes we know all of this... the Cool Tech product is excellent blah, blah, blah, but the Canadians on the Forum want to know if you use hockey pucks on your installs? Hockey tape would probably be okay too.