GT Track Day at Sebring Int'l Raceway

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
FB GT40 said:
I'd love to come, but can't. :frown We'll just be getting back from a cruise (Delbert's McClinton's Blues Cruise) and docking in Ft. Lauderdale Sunday morning. May drive home via Sebring just to check things out. How late will you run Sunday?

Gordon.

We're running on Monday the 15th. You ought to book a room for Sunday night and meet us for dinner and hang a bit on Monday before heading north. OR ship your car down before and drive with us on Monday!

FB GT40

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
May 30, 2006
Folly Beach, SC
Monday...

Chris,

You make too much sense!! Let me see if I can "sell" this...

G.

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
TEXAS GT said:
When do we have to commit? I'd love to come if you guys would promise not to run over a novice with no track experience! I just need to know a "point of no return" date so I don't screw up your plans if I can't make it. I would of course expect to have to pay in full if I canceled after this date.

I thought Harleys were a lifestyle but you guys are building quite a lifestyle around this car. Great work! :cheers

Good question! First of all, those who have committed in writing that they'll be there are helping to set the price. In return for their early committment, they will receive a higher percentage of any money we have left over (from the rest of the people who register down the road). You will be able to register through November at least, so don't panic! Registration will be on-line & once you register & pay, you are officially "committed" :wink & the amt is nonrefundable. I'm calling Chin Motorsports tomorrow to discuss a few other details & to get the on-line registration & prices set up (hopefully later this week). The deadline will be determined by Chin Motorsports since they are the ones setting up the sessions, instructors, & organizing the track time. However, I'll find out if we can still accept late entries through December & what the final deadline is. Registering early will also enable The GT Guys to get in touch with you & make sure there's enough time to get anything that you want for your car ready to go by the track day.

PS: I grew up in Milwaukee & have been a part of the Harley lifestyle for quite sometime. I initially came on this site because I love the car. Since then, I've been to a few GT get togethers & the rally, learned more about the car's history, and above all met a whole lot of fantastic people (who have proven to be as great as the car itself)! :cheers Anyone can go to a driver's school or track day loaded w/different types of cars & people. However, I wanted to give people another chance to continue the excitement & energy that seems to emit when you put groups of GT owners together! :thumbsup

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
new reason to go to track day... A humbling experience

For a girl who thrives on speed, the thought of slingshoting my car around corners & flying down the straights w/o worrying about cops & traffic holds quite a bit of appeal! :biggrin After all, that's what track day is all about, right???

This past Saturday I drove up to GA to finally meet some of the Atlanta GT owners at their monthly get together. I had a blast! GREAT group of guys!!! :thumbsup Afterwards, I decided to follow one of the GT guys back to his place and a few of us were going to be watching the football games over there. We're cruising down the expressway & then get off & go through some stop lights until we're just a minute or two from his house. With no other cars around, he takes off on this curvy road. I do not have a GT, but my mind told me that I could do the same thing in my Z that he was doing... I drop it down a gear & step on it. Until I glanced at my speedometer, I had no idea I was going over 100 mph on the turn. Then I noticed the turn tightened up & my car started to feel unstable. :frown I hit the brakes trying to slow down & that caused more problems. Thoughts of spinning out & crashing were going through my mind. :eek Luckily, I was able to slow down to a safe speed & regain control before anything happened, but it was enough to scare the #%*$ out of me! I have close to 30K miles on my sports car & have pushed it hard, but this was the first time I ever lost control & the first time I was ever scared in a car.

It made me realize a few things. First of all, just because you enjoy driving fast doesn't mean you should do it, especially when it's beyond your comfort level (common sense, right?). I couldn't believe how quickly I went from feeling fine to feeling out of control. Secondly, it made me realize that our natural reactions in responding to unexpected situations may not be the best & it would be wise to learn how the car responds in extreme situations in a more controlled environment before finding out on crowded roads w/other cars & obstacles. We've see too many GT crashes & most of them could probably have been prevented. Easier said than done. When you're driving along & someone cuts you off & you have to swerve out of the way & slam on the brakes, what is your car going to do & how do you correct yourself without crashing? With a super sports car this is even more crucial than a normal car!

Now I can't wait to go to track day to learn the limits of my car & the proper way to handle situations with an experienced instructor sitting next to me...even if that means going slow for awhile. If my car starts to over or understeer as the weight shifts, I want to know what I'm doing wrong & what to do next time to prevent that from happening. I'd rather learn it on a track w/only a few cars & an instructor rather than learn it out on the streets... Rather than just going fast, my new track goals are to learn to better handle my car & to slowly increase my speed on the track as I get comfortable w/the feel of my car rather than trying to pass people or to see how fast I can go.

The Sebring track is almost 4 miles long & since the cars will be split into 2 groups based on experience levels, new drivers shouldn't have to worry about a lot of cars around them or about being passed up by the experienced guys as they are working w/their instructors & getting comfortable driving their cars. I know that some of you are hesitant to take your car to the track because you are worried about getting in an accident. I do want to remind people that first of all, this isn't going to be a crowded track day w/100+ cars (like many open track days are). Chin Motorsports main focus is on safety & I think that if we utilize the track day in a safe manner & take full advantage of the expert instructors, it will be a way for us to learn how to handle our cars better, & hopefully will help PREVENT accidents from occuring when we return to the highways.

Piccola

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Piccola-

I assume we will have some open track time as well? No instructor, no lead follow, just point by, right?

-Chris

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
Florida Chris said:
Piccola-

I assume we will have some open track time as well? No instructor, no lead follow, just point by, right?

-Chris

Of course!!! Experienced guys who can prove they've been on the Sebring track can just get signed off (you guys will be sharing the track in between the "newer" group). Other experienced guys will need to go w/an instructor for the first session to get a good feel for the track layout & will then get signed off. You should have about 5 hrs of open track time. New people (depending on how quickly they can get signed off) should also have a good amt of solo track time. I'm just pointing out that you can spend as much time w/the instructors as you want or need & don't have to go super fast.

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Great news Piccola. Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to some instructor time as well. It doesn't matter how many times you've driven a track there are always things to be learned. But am am very pleased that we will have signed off open track time as well. This is going to be a blast. I can't wait!

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
piccola said:
there. We're cruising down the expressway & then get off & go through some stop lights until we're just a minute or two from his house. With no other cars around, he takes off on this curvy road. I do not have a GT, but my mind told me that I could do the same thing in my Z that he was doing... I drop it down a gear & step on it. Until I glanced at my speedometer, I had no idea I was going over 100 mph on the turn. Then I noticed the turn tightened up & my car started to feel unstable. :frown I hit the brakes trying to slow down & that caused more problems. Thoughts of spinning out & crashing were going through my mind. :eek Luckily, I was able to slow down to a safe speed & regain control before anything happened, but it was enough to scare the #%*$ out of me! I have close to 30K miles on my sports car & have pushed it hard, but this was the first time I ever lost control & the first time I was ever scared in a car.

Piccola

I am in shock.... risking the lives of others on the road so you could have some cheap thrills. When I get done with Danica who drove 65 in a 45
I am going to have to dole out your punishment!! Go to your room, no dinner for you tonight young lady. :rolleyes :shrug

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I am pretty much decided to come, now I need to polish up my skills, will there be a class on parallel parking, and highway sign identification? :biggrin

jasper

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 17, 2006
australia/ 51st state
me coming.

if i can't drive daniels car will drive what ever the rental mob supply :willy

and if anyone laughs look out :banana

down here the fastest cars are rentals and/or company :biggrin

pic will pm about a hotel.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
jasper said:
me coming.

if i can't drive daniels car will drive what ever the rental mob supply :willy

and if anyone laughs look out :banana

down here the fastest cars are rentals and/or company :biggrin

pic will pm about a hotel.

John, if you can come from OZland, I am in.... alright brutha.
Seems impossible to reserve a Shelby GT that weekend, perhaps we can each rent Lincoln Town Cars and have the battle of the oil tankers. :party :club :party

MJ, I will need a suite, olympic size pool should work. Mark me in. Let me know about the $$

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
Bony & Jasper - Glad to hear you're coming!! I'll send you both e-mails re: track car rentals. Perhaps I'll be faster than at least 2 people. :biggrin

Bony - No other cars around while I acted like an idiot. Do I still have to go to bed w/o dinner? :frown

DBK - can we get this thread posted w/a sticky? Please? :wink

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
piccola said:
Bony - No other cars around while I acted like an idiot. Do I still have to go to bed w/o dinner? :wink

We have all done it, most of the time with no harm, no foul. Sometimes it gets out of hand. Be safe. No doubt the track time and lessons will make all of us better drivers.

Ok, you can come out of your room, but I am still disappointed in your lapse of judgement,... :banana so no spanking today :biggrin

jasper

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 17, 2006
australia/ 51st state
daniel;
ya didn't answer my proposal in ya other thread????

mj
can't i use what ever i get at the airport?

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
MJ-

Just a thought, but Panoz has got all of their school cars and their GT series cars at their shop in Sebring during the winter. We might be able to hire one of their instructors to oversee the rental of a couple of their cars. I don't know if they do this, but it is an idea.

-Chris

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
jasper said:
daniel;
ya didn't answer my proposal in ya other thread????

Hi John!
It is a long boring drive across the country, I am weighing my options. Ton of miles to out on the GT. I have access to a trailer, but it is not my thing, did way to much towing in my youth.
MJ is checking what rental racers may be available. If we could rent Shelby's it would be a cheap date. Frankly if I can get seat time in a Panoz with tech
support that is the way to go.
Let me know what your travel plans are, coming with the MRS? Want to meet in New Orleans. the French Quarter is somewhat back together? Might as well make a week out of it. This is turning out well. :biggrin
Cheers,
daniel

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
write the trip off to Sebring... check out this business opportunity!

I'll be looking into this business, partners may be welcome...

Florida Nightclub For Sale
Listing Type: Basic
Description: Night Club & Bar

5-Cop License & Realestate Included in Sale

Geckos Nightclub
Located 3 Blocks from the Sandy Beaches of Lake Jackson, in Historic Downtown Sebring Florida . Home of the 12 Hours of Sebring Race Track.

8,000 Square Foot Free Standing Building

2- Level Nightclub- Main Lounge Equipped with Stage & State of the Art Sound & Lighting System Capacity for 450 People. 2nd Floor Lounge Overlooks Main Lounge with a separate Bar, Dj. Booth, & Dance Floor with Capacity for 150 People .

2- Long term Commercial Rentals.

City & County Government Offices just 3 blocks Away. 4 Major Banks & Several other Businesses in Immediate area. Only Package License in the Downtown Area.

1400 Free Parking Spaces in Immediate Area.

This Nightclub has 20 years of Continious Operation .

New Central Air Conditioning

New Roof.

Numerous Updates

Curently Operating a 4 day Work Week Thursday through Sunday
with a 400 K. Gross, ( Room for Expanded Hours of Operation )

Price- 700 K
Qualified Buyers Only, No Owner Financing !

Contact e-Mail bcskorka@earthlink.net

Contact Telephone Bob 863-381-8452 ( After 12 Noon Eastern Standard Time )

jasper

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 17, 2006
australia/ 51st state
daniel;
no i wouldn't drive that far, no MRS :banana i think i've got you
guys scared already.

can't you drive what ever? a detuned panoz come on.

probably fly into ny, want to go to montreal as well to see my baby,
want to see crazy horse monument, i think i will miss that but.
free to go anywhere i suppose, don't know.

mj are there any corners at sebring :biggrin happens to everyone.

Last edited:

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
jasper said:
daniel;
no i wouldn't drive that far, no MRS :banana i think i've got you
guys scared already.

can't you drive what ever? a detuned panoz come on.

John, I know MJ will sort out all the rental opportunities. The Panoz racers are just that, the question is if you get a good car or a clapped out piece of cah-ca.
Also, Panoz does offer 100% insurance option.

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
Jasper, you can come with whatever you want...as long as it's not Bony's tanker or a Daewoo. :lol I'm just trying to help out w/more options. :wink We're working on putting a weekend of events together. Look forward to having lots of fun!!! :banana Bony was going to get the award for traveling the farthest, but looks like you'll be taking the gold! I don't think you can get any farther than from "down under"!! :cheers

Chris, that's a great idea! :thumbsup I'll talk with both the track rental & Panoz & see what we can do.

I can't believe we reached OVER 100 POSTS already!!! :banana :banana :banana