gt tow hook

Cobraguy

GT Owner
Since I'm a newby here (and won't take delivery of my gt for a couple weeks) I am unsure if any or all gt's left the factory equipped with the front detachable tow hook. I would like to be equipped for any circumstances that may arise when I pick my car up. Thanks !

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Since I'm a newby here (and won't take delivery of my gt for a couple weeks) I am unsure if any or all gt's left the factory equipped with the front detachable tow hook. I would like to be equipped for any circumstances that may arise when I pick my car up. Thanks !

The tow hook is standard equipment, and is stored in the top of the tire pump in the trunk. And the hook is LEFT handed threads.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Be sure to obtain it either with the car or from the dealer... I have used mine at least 15 times in the 5 years I have owned my FGT.
AJB andy

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
You should also be aware that the tow hook should NOT be used to tie your GT down for transport. A few people have posted here that their cars have been damaged this way. ............and it was an expensive fix.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Also in the "boot" along with the tow hook, you should find:

- a tire inflater 'kit'
- a trickle charger in a black leather pouch
- a car cover in a 'bag
- and a front license plate bracket

The latter you'd hafta DRILL HOLES IN YOUR GT to use...so, most here would recommend that you opt for the aftermarket 'holder that screws into the car's tow hook eye instead - IF you plan to actually mount a front plate at all, that is.

Cobraguy

GT Owner
tow hook, etc

Thanks gents....much appreciated! It is very clear to me that if you are a gt owner, you MUST be a forum member !!:biggrin

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
The latter you'd hafta DRILL HOLES IN YOUR GT to use...so, most here would recommend that you opt for the aftermarket 'holder that screws into the car's tow hook eye instead - IF you plan to actually mount a front plate at all, that is.

Live dangerously :biggrin. It is a non-moving violation....worth not messing up your car.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Do a "search" on on the forum for newbies.
Lots of great info !

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Live dangerously :biggrin. It is a non-moving violation....worth not messing up your car.

'No argument there at all. I flat out REFUSED to stick a front plate on #1079. 'Didn't wanna block the air flow to the radiator. 'Figgered' if I got nailed for that I would just consider it another "GT tax".

(And, yes, Clinton, Sam, Mike, et al, I KNOW the car was never really at risk for wunna those tkts 'cause it never left the garage. I know. I know. I know...:rolleyes :tongue)

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Pockets, show everyone up and get another....and drive it!

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
....and drive it!

Yeeeeeeew shuddup, too, '12!

(Incidently, I have been toying with the idea of getting another one for about the last year or so...)

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
rear tow hook

Here is my rear tow hook by Shadowman.

Ed

Attachments

• IMG_0668.jpg
    IMG_0668.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 198

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Do you know if Bill designed that with "tie down" double duty in mind, Ed?

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
(Incidently, I have been toying with the idea of getting another one for about the last year or so...)

Isn't there a nice low mile red car down here near lake Tapps for sale by a forum member? :secret:

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Do you know if Bill designed that with "tie down" double duty in mind, Ed?

No, it's only for towing when stuck off track like the front hook. It is stout though as it is in the frame end where the bumper support once resided.

Ed

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
No, it's only for towing when stuck off track like the front hook. It is stout though as it is in the frame end where the bumper support once resided.

Ed

Given your description, my guess is it could very well BE used for tie down purposes w/o any neg. consequences if one chose to do so. Buuuuut, who knows... :cheers

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Given your description, my guess is it could very well BE used for tie down purposes w/o any neg. consequences if one chose to do so. Buuuuut, who knows...

I'd say you might be very wrong about this EP as, 1) the direction of force applied to the hook can be very different and; 2) tie down forces can easily exceed the weight of the car which is the cause of failure of the OEM front hook. In the case of 1), a typical extraction pull is along a vector largely parallel to the attachment point - where, depending on design, the rear hook may be adequate. In a tie-down situation, the force could be very near to perpendicular and where the hook may or may not be adequate. In the case of 2), the OEM hooks at the front of the car would fail (the nose of the car would come off) when the operator would tie the car down to the flatbed and then use the on-board winch (typically rated at about 10,000-12,000lbs) to winch on the front tow hook. You could likely hang the car vertically by the front tow hook, but you cannot expect to hang 5 cars off the same hook.

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
For us here in Alberta, like Cobraguy and me, there is no need for a front plate, in fact, unless you order custom plates, you only get one!! I hope that never changes.

Cobraguy

GT Owner
front plate

Yes Superfly...we are fortunate that a front plate is currently not required:thumbsup...HOWEVER there have been some discussions taking place in the last few years at the provincial level regarding revisiting the legislation:thumbsdow. Another massive waste of time and resources imo. I have a number of ticket payment stubs from back in the day when the plate law was in effect and was vigorously enforced ( at least in the southern part of the province). I refused to plate any of my cars back then and def paid the price...but I felt it was well worth it and if the law is reinstated...well ...I guess I'll get my wallet out again!:ack:ack

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Yeeeeeeew shuddup, too, '12!

If your buying decision and timing is like the driving experience of your last FGT - I'll be long dead before you have another FGT in the garage.....