gt tow hook

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
For us here in Alberta, like Cobraguy and me, there is no need for a front plate, in fact, unless you order custom plates, you only get one!! I hope that never changes.

Rub our noses in it now. :bored :biggrin

Yes Superfly...we are fortunate that a front plate is currently not required:thumbsup...HOWEVER there have been some discussions taking place in the last few years at the provincial level regarding revisiting the legislation:thumbsdow. Another massive waste of time and resources imo. I have a number of ticket payment stubs from back in the day when the plate law was in effect and was vigorously enforced ( at least in the southern part of the province). I refused to plate any of my cars back then and def paid the price...but I felt it was well worth it and if the law is reinstated...well ...I guess I'll get my wallet out again!:ack:ack

Wait till those in power get a taste of the revenue generated from photo radar ticketing. :thumbsdow

Cobraguy

GT Owner
Funny story re the photo radar issue...my brother in law allowed his son to use four of his collector cars in his wedding party.:driving. As they all pulled away from the church they all did their burnouts....right past the photo radar van ! :madFour tickets (at 10 second intervals) showed up in the mail the following week !:bang

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I'd say you might be very wrong about this EP as, 1) the direction of force applied to the hook can be very different and; 2) tie down forces can easily exceed the weight of the car which is the cause of failure of the OEM front hook. In the case of 1), a typical extraction pull is along a vector largely parallel to the attachment point - where, depending on design, the rear hook may be adequate. In a tie-down situation, the force could be very near to perpendicular and where the hook may or may not be adequate. In the case of 2), the OEM hooks at the front of the car would fail (the nose of the car would come off) when the operator would tie the car down to the flatbed and then use the on-board winch (typically rated at about 10,000-12,000lbs) to winch on the front tow hook. You could likely hang the car vertically by the front tow hook, but you cannot expect to hang 5 cars off the same hook.

My assumption/guess/gut feeling was just that…it really wasn’t intended to be engineering treatise (!)…and it was based on two things: 1- Bill doesn't build things out of - nor does he attach them with – “blue tape”...he just protects adjacent surfaces with the stuff, therefore, the ‘eye probably was designed/built strong enough to tow a fully loaded Mack truck up a 30% grade…and, 2- that someone wouldn't be CINCHING down on the 'eye with a force equal to or greater than the weight of the car! :lol Besides, one would need an 'eye on each side of the car to tie it down correctly anyway, so, a debate on the merits of its use as a tie down is really moot regardless. In any event, as I suggested, who really knows... :cheers

Anyway, Ed already stated it hadn't been designed for anything but towing...so, there you go.

(And, yes, I know "correctly" actually means using wheel baskets, etc., per factory dictates! :wink)

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
IMO is long as the force you apply to either Ed's rear tow eyelet, or the OEM front tow hook are inline with the frame members (e.g. front to rear line of force) keeping the load to the mounting point under tension, it will be more than strong enough to pull a FGT up a reasonable incline. If you put a significant side load on either, all bets are off. I think Kendall said this as well.