Got rear ended in GT, was thinking of bumper delete, till I see what its for..pics

FastFords

Apr 20, 2011
2112 (or anyone else for that matter):

'Any idea what those two chrome dumaflajits are that are sitting on either side of the engine cover?

'Looks like someone decided a pair of chromed bathroom towel rack hangers would look good sittin' there. :confused

EP, those are the latches that secured the engine cover. They are identical to the latches on the side of the car for the gas cap and trunk lid, just shorter. In that photo, they are in the unlatched position. Here is a different angle for you.
ford_gt_concept_103_2_cd_gallery_zoomed.jpg

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Thanks, FF. That 'open latch' photo was the 1st time I'd ever seen those things in that location in either the closed or open position. (Edit: In the open position, they look like a pair of 'deer warning whistles' mounted backwards!)

Last edited:

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
Hooked On Gt,

Now the worst part, not your fault at all but this accident will probably show up on Carfax and immediately cost you resale $$$$$$. You may never sell it and this will not be an issue, but ask me how I know this. All you here is I want a low mile, no issue GT. Yours may now be an issue car! Hate to be a Debbie Downer but it is a pisser! Anyway to charge an Insurance Company for future losses at resale?

Larry

do it at a shop that won't report it or is it the insurance company that reports?

FastFords

Apr 20, 2011
do it at a shop that won't report it or is it the insurance company that reports?

Mullet, I'm pretty sure it's the ins. co. that reports what accidents are on the vehicle, by law. Only way to get around this, would be for the lady who hit him to pay out of pocket. Either way, it's coming out of her pocket. Her insurance just went through the roof for hitting a car worth $200K easy. I wonder if she is related to this female driver...
mulitcarmonaco2.jpg

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Holy smoke! That photo above is a nightmare! Bentley, Ferrari, Rolls Royce, Porsche and maybe an Aston (?). I wonder what happened?

red gt 1442

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 23, 2005
NY Metro Area
Yes, it's called Diminished Value; make sure her insurance company makes a payment for this issue

Not all states allow diminished value ...I was rear ended by a UPS truck a few year ago in a new 2003 C4 while waiting at a light on West street.........although they paid what the estimate said ( $165 hr labor,NYC prices)
they would NOT pay diminished value..........better check on that.............Insurance companies lobby heavily for this stuff by state.

Gino

GTMikey

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2008
Lake Tahoe
Bumper Delete

My opinion, chances of getting rear ended in a GT are extremely low given how little they are driven. Getting rear ended 2x=extremely extremely low chance. I'd take the insurance money and get the bumper delete and you will never find yourself looking to see if you can see the old damage. It's like she made the decision real easy.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Not all states allow diminished value ...I was rear ended by a UPS truck a few year ago in a new 2003 C4 while waiting at a light on West street.........although they paid what the estimate said ( $165 hr labor,NYC prices)
they would NOT pay diminished value..........better check on that.............Insurance companies lobby heavily for this stuff by state.

Gino

That is why they invented lawyers.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
There are a lot of bumpers and frame extensions that have been removed from cars that have the bumper delete. You can probably buy those parts including a bumper already painted Heritage Blue for a song from a member who has them lying around.

Chip

H

HHGT

No one suggested a Wing yet! Blue wing with an orange stripe... Yummmm!

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
I wonder if she is related to this female driver...
mulitcarmonaco2.jpg

The funniest thing about that accident, if you read the article, it directly states:

"Adding insult to injury? The driver and passengers of the Bentley droptop couldn't get out of their car. Hundreds of tourists snapped photos of the carnage while the occupants of the Azure could only sit and smile for the cameras."

http://autos.aol.com/article/monte-carlo-million-dollar-accident/

Um....It's a convertible. Climb out.... :rofl

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Gino

Florida recognizes third party diminished value claims (claim against the at-fault party). First party diminished value claims (claim against your own insurance company) are generally barred in Florida.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State

Evidently no one pointed that option out to the gals!

FastFords

Apr 20, 2011

Syco, did you miss the fact that 2 of the 3 women are blondes? One of which is the driver. This is why trophy wives belong at home. :lol

Just to be clear, I'm not sexist as the joke would lead some to believe.

red gt 1442

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 23, 2005
NY Metro Area
That is why they invented lawyers.

I;m not too sure any Lawyer can change the State's Insurance law..........I believe it differs from state to state...... I am only mentioning this as New York State does NOT recognize this.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I;m not too sure any Lawyer can change the State's Insurance law..........I believe it differs from state to state...... I am only mentioning this as New York State does NOT recognize this.

I am definitely not an attorney, but would you not sue the driver for the diminished value and if your state absolves the insurance company, you go after the person for loss of value?

Definitely complicated but I read elsewhere that even in states that recognize it, legal counsel is almost always required.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Now's the perfect time for a bumper delete!

Ed

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
I am definitely not an attorney, but would you not sue the driver for the diminished value and if your state absolves the insurance company, you go after the person for loss of value?

Definitely complicated but I read elsewhere that even in states that recognize it, legal counsel is almost always required.

To get diminished value you need to hire an insurance adjuster(there are people that actually do only that) they speaks the same language, also diminished value can never be more than the cost of repairs, usually.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
I don't know what my take on this is....hmm

I don't plan on getting rid of it, so I'm not sure I need to chase her down.

What happens if you have the same bang in the ass without your bumper, would the insurance company drop you because you've adjusted the car too much and not made it compliant to DOT standards??
The sole reason the bumper is there is for what happend to me.
I could see the repair bill form this being x2.

Stuart