Got rear ended in GT, was thinking of bumper delete, till I see what its for..pics

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
Was thinking of bumper delete and then I went and got rear ended.
The only thing that saved the car body was the steal rear bumper.
Wonder if the insurance company would dodge anybody that had the bumper delete if they went through something like what happened to me?
Hardly anything wrong with the other car (Acura sedan)
At least one of my exhaust tips punched a clean hole in her bumper.
Any idea on what the cost would be to repair it?
StuartIMG_1285.jpgIMG_1289.jpg

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
These pics just convinced me to keep my bumper on.....too many crazy tourists and novice student drivers in Orlando....good luck with the repair...

txviper

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 31, 2007
Sorry to hear that, but you got lucky! Had it been a vehicle with a higher stance it would have been ugly. Looks like it is going to be a easy fix

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
Still not cheap for the Honda...aren't those bumper pieces like $1000 a piece not painted?

Then you still have to pay for the bumper and paint. I would also want to check the exhaust and make sure it didn't tweak anything all the way back to the headers.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
The frame extensions are 1300 a piece and that rear bumper is over a g. the surround around the tip is 210. If you get the bumper unbolted right away it might save the rear facia. other wise it could be 5000-7000 by the time its all painted and done.

I know im not doing bumper delete for this very reason. It could turn a minor accident into ugly one. But if she rear ended you she's paying:)

Thanks for sharing

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
That sucks!

Was it at stop light, traffic, texting?

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
I have all these parts in stock and will make you a good deal on them. Give me a call at 8709318004. I will save you some money :)

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
I have all these parts in stock and will make you a good deal on them. Give me a call at 8709318004. I will save you some money :)

Do this after you've gotten appraisals with new parts. It's her dime....

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
I can give you retail value and your discounted price. :)

Thugboat

GT Owner
Jan 20, 2009
Humble Texas
Hooked On Gt,

Now the worst part, not your fault at all but this accident will probably show up on Carfax and immediately cost you resale $$$$$$. You may never sell it and this will not be an issue, but ask me how I know this. All you here is I want a low mile, no issue GT. Yours may now be an issue car! Hate to be a Debbie Downer but it is a pisser! Anyway to charge an Insurance Company for future losses at resale?

Larry

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Yes, it's called Diminished Value; make sure her insurance company makes a payment for this issue

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
Yes, it's called Diminished Value; make sure her insurance company makes a payment for this issue
Get Shelby to write you an Diminished Value estimate, I guess on a Heritage, it could be 30 large or there abouts!!!!

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
Not too worried about the ordeal.
Wasn't pissed as what ya gunna do, as it's all done....40 and mellow.

Least she was pretty good looking and from the town (Akron OH) that I actually met my Mrs.

I'm about to spend the next 4 months in Australia, so she she's gunna have an ass out of shape like Serena Williams till Jan.

Thanks for the pricing on the parts, not sure of cost and as she will be paying not too worried....if the rolls reverse, then thats another matter.

Not going to worry about resale as this thing will stay with me in any place I may land....mines still stock and I can't see this car being slow till we run out of propulsion.
Don't know much about the diminished value, is that something any car can try and claim for, or only for "special" cars?
Might look at it.
Would the ding show up on a search as having an "incident" or with more details then that?

One thing that concerns me is the weird shape of the roof line.
When she hit me my head flew back and struck the edge of the section that runs around the roof (top right side of my mellon).
This hurt for a few mins.
I'm about 6' 1" and found it hard to reach this impact when I was trying to recreate the action.
Now I've got an idea of a better mod for the GT'.

A 10mm thick OEM looking neoprene strip would play a big roll in deflecting/absorbing the hit.
If it was a serious hit I can bet that head injuries to the front/top and top/right rear of your head will be pretty brutal as the car is.
Under 6 footers probably would be fine.

SA

Last edited:

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Sorry bout your GT, that sucks. :bored

According to fordparts.com the bumper assembly with frame horns adds up to about $9,800, the rear body is $1,625. Seems to defeat the purpose of mandating bumpers to reduce repair costs. In your particular case I'd wager the repair would be cheaper without the bumper. :ack

If you can I'd try to get the frame rails as they would be perfect to cut off (if not bent) and re-use for a bumper delete.

Why we have bumpers, not a safety device:
http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/problems/studies/bumper/index.html

Been down this road before, we can agree to disagree.
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/s...t-right-but...&p=251403&highlight=#post251403

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
I would not count on it showing up on Carfax -- they miss a lot worse.

Of all the great aftermarket trinkets I have to say I have never understood the bumper delete for this and other reasons.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
...Of all the great aftermarket trinkets I have to say I have never understood the bumper delete for this and other reasons.

I totally agree, Terry :thumbsup

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Diminished value is standard; though they will fight it

A Public Adjuster can assist, in dealing with the insurer; as they speak same language

Will Show as incident once she claims

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Bumper Deletes?

I would think driving without a bumper on your GT is the equivlent of Driving your bumpered 1959 250GT California on the road. No real protection on either one, and as Fenzo linked to, very little in the way of protection for the GT even with the bumper, some, but not tons.

The car purest form is without the bumper. Just like the prototype that made the rounds in 03'-04'.

I am just giving a Pro-delete guy's perspective, not trying to talk you into deleting yours.

And I 100% agree with Kayvan. Diminished value plus retail on the repairs. Sorry, but she did not have to ram you. :frown

Attachments

• 1996 cobra 040.jpg
    1996 cobra 040.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 429

Black GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 2, 2006
Sorry about your beauty taking a hit. Could've been alot worse. Glad you are ok. My stock bumber will stay right were she is at. Too many bozos on the road.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
2112 (or anyone else for that matter):

'Any idea what those two chrome dumaflajits are that are sitting on either side of the engine cover?

'Looks like someone decided a pair of chromed bathroom towel rack hangers would look good sittin' there. :confused