Goodyear tires and the 2005 Ford GT

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Real world example: PHX shuts down take-offs during high heat days (I think when it gets over 105/115 degrees) because they can't generate enough lift.

Kingman, this may be correct but unlikely the “airport” makes the call to close due to density altitude. It is really up to the air carrier and ultimately the Pilot In Command (PIC) as he is the individual responsible for the flight’s safety. This issue comes up (or use to) at Las Vegas and Denver which both get very high ambient temperatures in the summer and Denver has high physical altitude as well. They have longgggg runways to help with this issue.

The density altitude issue did effectively close the Denver commercial airport years ago as the ambient temperature was higher than the temperatures in the aircraft operating manual charts used to calculate takeoff distance. In that take off distance was off the aircraft manual charts, the PIC was not able to calculate the necessary distance for takeoff (usually an internal corporate requirement) and thus could not take off on a revenue flight. Again this was a PIC decision (and corporate requirement) which grounded the air carrier equipment which did not have high temperature takeoff charts in their manuals. Manuals now have much higher ambient temperatures for the takeoff calculations and thus the problem goes away.

Indy,(don’t want to derail the Tire thread here, but just to respond) I see why cooler air allows a denser charge for added HP, but unless the charge from the SC is cooler than the charge from a turbo’d motor the reaction to cooler air should be the same.

Jbyrnes, I guess I misunderstood your earlier question “The higher horse increase for a SC engine vs a turbo'd motor as temps decrease is an interesting phenomenon. Why is this?” This was the explanation I presented in my post. I take it you now understand and recognize charge density and its relationship with power.(?) So your next question (as I understand it) it two fold. You are asking 1) why does the SC engine have a cooler (induction air) charge relative to a turbo equipped engine and 2) engine “reaction” time to both systems.

Well for No. 1 anytime you compress a gas (like air) there is associated with the action, heat. You are doing work on the air which results in a temperature change. Reference again to the perfect gas law. But, too, the effectiveness of the system you use to compress the gas has a bearing on the final gas temperature as well. Compression systems are not 100% efficient and thus these compression system inefficiencies also result in heat added to the final compressed gas state.

A positive displacement mechanical air compression system (like a Roots http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roots-type_supercharger or Lysholm as our GT has http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotary_screw_compressor) have an associated compression efficiency associated with each. The Lysholm type supercharger is generally more efficient at compressing air relative to the roots style because it has lower internal leakage levels and lower parasitic (horsepower) losses. Thus, being more efficient in converting mechanical rotational work from the engine crankshaft to compressed gas, there is less heat imparted to the working or compressed gas. (Relative to a roots type system).

A centrifugal impeller/compressor system (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centrifugal_compressor) is not considered a positive displacement pump and provides gas compression “by adding kinetic energy/velocity to a continuous flow of fluid through the rotor or impeller. This kinetic energy is then converted to an increase in potential energy/static pressure by slowing the flow through a diffuser.” Using Bernoulli’s Law as you slow the gas velocity through the diffuser part of the turbo, the pressure increases. This compression system too has an associated efficiency and thus an influence on the final gas temperature after compression and upstream of the intercooler.

Compression efficiencies vary greatly and depend on many, many variables. I have no idea of the relative efficiencies of a Lysholm supercharger relative to a centrifugal compressor both designed for similar mass flow rates to supply our 5.4L engine. But it is certainly reasonable to assume they very likely ARE different values. Thus it is reasonable to conclude that if each system has a different compression efficiency, for a given mass flow rate of air, the output gas temperature is likely different as well. So to answer your question 1, I never stated that one compression system would deliver cooler output gas temperatures. But I certainly would not be surprised if the output temperatures were different between the two systems. And for power you want the coolest compression system output temperature. (charge density, remember)

To answer question 2, I already answered that one in my earlier post on turbo lag vs. direct response to crankshaft rpm.

Hope this better answers your questions.:thumbsup

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Indy (aka Man of a few more words)

Gentlemen, Internet Home School is in session…we all get CE bonus credits for mentioning PIC"s and quoting Bernoulli's Law during dinner tonight. Double Bonus points of no one at the table says WTF are you talking about.

Kingman, this may be correct but unlikely the “airport” makes the call to close due to density altitude. It is really up to the air carrier and ultimately the Pilot In Command (PIC) as he is the individual responsible for the flight’s safety. This issue comes up (or use to) at Las Vegas and Denver which both get very high ambient temperatures in the summer and Denver has high physical altitude as well. They have longgggg runways to help with this issue.

The density altitude issue did effectively close the Denver commercial airport years ago as the ambient temperature was higher than the temperatures in the aircraft operating manual charts used to calculate takeoff distance. In that take off distance was off the aircraft manual charts, the PIC was not able to calculate the necessary distance for takeoff (usually an internal corporate requirement) and thus could not take off on a revenue flight. Again this was a PIC decision (and corporate requirement) which grounded the air carrier equipment which did not have high temperature takeoff charts in their manuals. Manuals now have much higher ambient temperatures for the takeoff calculations and thus the problem goes away.

Jbyrnes, I guess I misunderstood your earlier question “The higher horse increase for a SC engine vs a turbo'd motor as temps decrease is an interesting phenomenon. Why is this?” This was the explanation I presented in my post. I take it you now understand and recognize charge density and its relationship with power.(?) So your next question (as I understand it) it two fold. You are asking 1) why does the SC engine have a cooler (induction air) charge relative to a turbo equipped engine and 2) engine “reaction” time to both systems.

Well for No. 1 anytime you compress a gas (like air) there is associated with the action, heat. You are doing work on the air which results in a temperature change. Reference again to the perfect gas law. But, too, the effectiveness of the system you use to compress the gas has a bearing on the final gas temperature as well. Compression systems are not 100% efficient and thus these compression system inefficiencies also result in heat added to the final compressed gas state.

A positive displacement mechanical air compression system (like a Roots http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roots-type_supercharger or Lysholm as our GT has http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotary_screw_compressor) have an associated compression efficiency associated with each. The Lysholm type supercharger is generally more efficient at compressing air relative to the roots style because it has lower internal leakage levels and lower parasitic (horsepower) losses. Thus, being more efficient in converting mechanical rotational work from the engine crankshaft to compressed gas, there is less heat imparted to the working or compressed gas. (Relative to a roots type system).

A centrifugal impeller/compressor system (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centrifugal_compressor) is not considered a positive displacement pump and provides gas compression “by adding kinetic energy/velocity to a continuous flow of fluid through the rotor or impeller. This kinetic energy is then converted to an increase in potential energy/static pressure by slowing the flow through a diffuser.” Using Bernoulli’s Law as you slow the gas velocity through the diffuser part of the turbo, the pressure increases. This compression system too has an associated efficiency and thus an influence on the final gas temperature after compression and upstream of the intercooler.

Compression efficiencies vary greatly and depend on many, many variables. I have no idea of the relative efficiencies of a Lysholm supercharger relative to a centrifugal compressor both designed for similar mass flow rates to supply our 5.4L engine. But it is certainly reasonable to assume they very likely ARE different values. Thus it is reasonable to conclude that if each system has a different compression efficiency, for a given mass flow rate of air, the output gas temperature is likely different as well. So to answer your question 1, I never stated that one compression system would deliver cooler output gas temperatures. But I certainly would not be surprised if the output temperatures were different between the two systems. And for power you want the coolest compression system output temperature. (charge density, remember)

To answer question 2, I already answered that one in my earlier post on turbo lag vs. direct response to crankshaft rpm.

Hope this better answers your questions.:thumbsup

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Jeffy, just trying to be through.

Now go see your tutor!

jbyrnes

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 13, 2006
Louisville CO
I understand the thermodynamics, to re-phrase though; given a S/C motor and a turb'd motor both putting out the same HP at the same rpm and OAT, why might the S/C motor have higher HP than the turbo motor when they're both working now at 40F vs 70F. But, as you implied there could be an efficiency vs temp relationship difference inherent between the two boost types.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Jeffy, just trying to be through.

Now go see your tutor!

Would that be "thorough"?

- the tutor

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Indy (aka Man of a few more words)

Gentlemen, Internet Home School is in session…we all get CE bonus credits for mentioning PIC"s and quoting Bernoulli's Law during dinner tonight. Double Bonus points of no one at the table says WTF are you talking about.

An A in Heat and Thermodynamics count? Of course it was 40+ years ago so I don't remember any of it.

Phoenix did shut down one day in the 70's when I was going on a business trip. I don't know if it has happened recently though - better planes and all. I recall the Denver instance because it was on the news. I haven't heard of Vegas shutting down yet but it wasn't all that hot last summer.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Would that be "thorough"?

- the tutor

Damn. I thought it looked funny….:facepalm:

Thanks, Tutor. I owe you a drink at our next McGowan cookout!

But, as you implied there could be an efficiency vs temp relationship difference inherent between the two boost types.

Exactly.
And very sorry for the tire thread hi jack….. Apologies.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Intake charge temp. Gas laws. Compressing air raises temp. Doesn't matter how you compress it (SC/TT). What matters is how you cool it.

Intercooler efficiency.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Thanks Scott for the support for Jeff & I on our usage of the OEM Goodyear tires, as most of our driving miles encompass all weather conditions. Nice to have some verification on our choice.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
The higher horse increase for a SC engine vs a turbo'd motor as temps decrease is an interesting phenomenon. Why is this? Also then, shouldn't the GT be especially responsive to water injection?

The difference in effect of temp on SC vs TC engines is due to the turbo being a "heat engine" whereas an SC is not. Turbos generate more power at higher temperatures in the exhaust. Higher intake air temp (IAT) decreases the power of both SCSs and TCs, but the TC gains back part of the loss with slightly higher exhaust temps. Conversely, lower IAT increases the SC output more than the TC. I don't have actual data to compare the difference back-to-back, but I doubt anyone else here has it either. I'm sure someone who was an olde engineer in the aircraft industry would be able to retrieve relevant comparative data, as old radial engines used SCs ("blowers") rather than turbos. I don't think any piston aircraft engines designed since the 1950's have used SCs, only TCs.

Re Water injection: Again, old large radial engines with superchargers (like in WWII airplanes) did use water injection to allow increases in compression and/or boost. Usually, it was a water/alcohol mix. So, yes, it should work in our applications too.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Intake charge temp. Gas laws. Compressing air raises temp. Doesn't matter how you compress it (SC/TT). What matters is how you cool it.

Intercooler efficiency.

Ayup. Cooling the intake air makes a big difference in the charge density, and thus power output. Also, cooler intake air reduces detonation. The better you cool it, the more power you make. I'm pretty sure that's why Mullet went with a larger external intercooler in his creation. The adiabatic compression of air in our engines raises the temperature to about 300F degrees.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Great as usual from Scott.Clearly a brilliant individual with impeccable taste ,as in he married Angela!
But can he explain deflate gate please,just to finally clear things up!
Thank Bud!
xo thats for Angela

shesgotlegs

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 20, 2006
Thanks Scott for the support for Jeff & I on our usage of the OEM Goodyear tires, as most of our driving miles encompass all weather conditions. Nice to have some verification on our choice.

Either you 2 guys have got ALOT of pull or Ford IMHO way over factored the number of cars that were to be driven regularly in the rain :frown

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
Not just rain, HARD rain. It takes A LOT of rain to overwhelm the Bridgestones. And anywhere up to that limit, they have superior grip. As was said, the Bridgestones really were not in the running. Ford was having Firestone issues at the time and it would not have mattered how good the tires were, they were not going on the GT.

Fortunately, the aftermarket does not have those restrictions.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Either you 2 guys have got ALOT of pull or Ford IMHO way over factored the number of cars that were to be driven regularly in the rain :frown

Golly Terry you must know that those GT owners who continue to keep Goodyears on their GT's really do have superpowers that can and do cause the road surfaces under their tires to remain grip tight in all weather conditions. Patent Pending.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
UTQG Rear Goodyear F1 220 AA A, Bridgestone Scuderia 140 A A

Goodyear wet traction = above 0.54 on asphalt.
Bridgestone wet traction = above 0.47 on asphalt.

The cost difference is inexplicable. MSRP Goodyear = $636 ($484*), Bridgestone = $427 ($356*).

*Onlinetire.com

shesgotlegs

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 20, 2006
Fortunately, the aftermarket does not have those restrictions.

Hallelujia to that.

shesgotlegs

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 20, 2006
Golly Terry you must know that those GT owners who continue to keep Goodyears on their GT's really do have superpowers that can and do cause the road surfaces under their tires to remain grip tight in all weather conditions. Patent Pending.

Maybe the road noise produced by the Goodyears and not mentioned in any detail thus far in this thread may have hypnotized you into thinking this. :rofl:lol

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Good one Legs, BUT, they are both so old they are REALLY hard of hearing.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Very informative Scott. It answered a lot of questions for me. Thanks.

Ed