Goodyear Eagles Unsafe on My GT imo

Fyr-FtrGT

GT Owner, BofD
Mark IV Lifetime
May 28, 2006
Walnut Creek, California
Just had my car outfitted with some Hoosier tires, and can't believe the difference. With the Goodyears my car would become unstable in second gear at about 5000 rpm. The rear end would break adhesion, and the front end would turn left as the rear end came around. I have noticed on some of the videos on the forum, that this has happened before. This is apparently caused by the enormous torque that this engine develops at higher rpm. With the addition of these new, stickier tires, with a groove cut in them to make them legal, my car does not break loose as it did with the Goodyears. True, these tires will not work in the wet. But I don't plan on driving in the rain, too much cleanup afterwards. Bottom line is, now I can drive around my area and jump on it once in a while, and not feel that horrible feeling that a loss of control gives you. These are all my opinions, and hopefully can help everyone with additional knowledge.

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
One of our fellow forum members, "Demolition Man", who lives in the San Franciso Bay area mounted the Hoosiers on his car, and reported the same results to me last summer. He did one better by having the tires customized by having a nice tread pattern cut into the tires by hand. They looked cool, and work much, much better in the rain as well.

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
One of our fellow forum members, "Demolition Man", who lives in the San Franciso Bay area mounted the Hoosiers on his car, and reported the same results to me last summer. He did one better by having the tires customized by having a nice tread pattern cut into the tires by hand. They looked cool, and work much, much better in the rain as well.

Do they make them in stock size for the GT and could we go a little wider without causing clearance problems?

Where do we get them?

Are they rated for 200 mph?

Will they last at least 3000 miles (with conservative use of the right foot)?

Are they so sticky that they pick up rocks and chip your paint?

I'm due for tires and this could be an alternative. we need more options in sizes for our stock wheels.

Fyr-FtrGT

GT Owner, BofD
Mark IV Lifetime
May 28, 2006
Walnut Creek, California
Do they make them in stock size for the GT and could we go a little wider without causing clearance problems?

The recommended sizes for the GT are, front 245/40ZR18 R6, and rear 315/40ZR19 R6. The rears are the same height as the Goodyears, but the fronts are about a half inch shorter.

Where do we get them?

The Tirerack sells Hoosiers, but I purchased them from Roger Kraus Racing in Castro Valley, Ca. They hand grooved them and Road Force balanced them. I also had them use metal wheel valves. Total price out the door was $1810. It would have been a little cheaper for the tires at Tirerack, but I needed the other services.

Are they rated for 200 mph?

They are ZR rated, the same as the Goodyears.

Will they last at least 3000 miles (with conservative use of the right foot)?

Ed Sims says that he expects about 2500 miles, but that includes some track time.

Are they so sticky that they pick up rocks and chip your paint?

So far, no. But I just purchased a complete set of clear bra material to cover the car.

I'm due for tires and this could be an alternative. we need more options in sizes for our stock wheels.

I was told by Roger Kraus that these were the only Hoosier tire sizes that they and Hoosier recommends for the GT. They said the 18 and 19 inch wheels are the problem. If you had 15 or 16 inchers, there would be many different combinations of sizes to choose from.

Hope this info helps.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
The Hossiers are great, but become slick after less than a dozen heat cycles.
They are not practical for everyday use. :thumbsdow Great track tire, end of story, unless you replace your set after a dozen heat cycles.

everetto

GT Owner
Sep 4, 2006
Desert Southwest
Actually, the Goodyears are Y-rated (even though the size says ZR). The new speed ratings (in excess of the old Z rating) are now in the service rating portion of the tire. From tire rack;

"Most recently, when the Y-speed rating indicated in a service description is enclosed in parentheses, such as 285/35ZR19 (99Y), the top speed of the tire has been tested in excess of 186 mph, 300 km/h indicated by the service description as shown below:

285/35ZR19 99Y 186 mph, 300 km/h
285/35ZR19 (99Y) in excess of 186 mph, 300 km/h "

So, the Goodyears have been tested in excess of 186 - I did not check the Hoosiers.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
The Goodyear tire has been tested to hold 226 mph. It would be my recommendation to not attempt a sustained run at that speed even if you've got the power to do it (unless you own Nardo).

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
That is sad about the heat cycles. That is the direction I was headed.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
That is sad about the heat cycles. That is the direction I was headed.

I know a guy who put the hoosiers on his F40. He loves them but if they get wet YOUR DONE! He said just a little moisture on the road and it was like glass. He drives the F40 a lot and hoosiers are what he keeps on it. He's a little bit crazy tho.

PRDATR

GT Owner
Jan 9, 2006
Michigan, Upper Peninsula
Hoosier R6

I too am planning on using the R6's for dry-weather driving close to home this summer ( if summer ever comes to northern Michigan. :frown )

Does anyone know why Hoosier posts the disclaimer on their website concerning use of the R6's for the street? Are they more susceptible to puncture?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Does anyone know why Hoosier posts the disclaimer on their website concerning use of the R6's for the street? Are they more susceptible to puncture?

The primary overriding reason is PRODUCT LIABILITY!!!

Other valid reasons have been discussed such as:

1. Poor tread life.
2. Poor traction in wet conditions.
3. Heat cycling causing changes to performance.
4. Poor puncture resistance.
5. May pickup more road debris.
6. May kick rocks into your cars paint.
7. You won't get many miles before the two grooves are worn below the legal limits set in many states.
8. May be less safe at ultra high speeds > 150 mph.

I was told many years ago by the folks running the Silver State Classic, that street tires were prefered over DOT racing tires because of their better cut resistance compared to DOT racing tires. DOT racing tires are made for the track where there isn't supposed to be any road debris, until the yellow flag falls.

That said, Hoosier will give you much more grip than the stock tires, dramatically transforming the performance envelop of the car.

PRDATR

GT Owner
Jan 9, 2006
Michigan, Upper Peninsula
Hoosier R6

1. Poor tread life.
7. You won't get many miles before the two grooves are worn below the legal limits set in many states.

I was told many years ago by the folks running the Silver State Classic, that street tires were prefered over DOT racing tires because of their better cut resistance compared to DOT racing tires. DOT racing tires are made for the track where there isn't supposed to be any road debris, until the yellow flag falls.

That said, Hoosier will give you much more grip than the stock tires, dramatically transforming the performance envelop of the car.

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. Why the poor puncture resistence? Belt composition?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. Why the poor puncture resistence? Belt composition?

Mainly because the tread thickness is much less. A racing tire has very soft rubber at about 1/4" thick, vs. a street tire with much harder (tougher) rubber at more than 1/2" thick. It is much harder for debris to push through the thicker and harder rubber surface.

I don't know if the steel belts are weaker in a racing tire. That may contribute as well.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Mainly because the tread thickness is much less. A racing tire has very soft rubber at about 1/4" thick, vs. a street tire with much harder (tougher) rubber at more than 1/2" thick. It is much harder for debris to push through the thicker and harder rubber surface.

I don't know if the steel belts are weaker in a racing tire. That may contribute as well.

What tire will you purchase when a replacement is needed?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
What tire will you purchase when a replacement is needed?

Ideally I would get another set of wheels, one with Hoosier for the track and another for the street. The forged BBS are about as light as one can get, unless you opt for the carbon fiber wheels that would save about a pound over the BBS wheels. But BIG bucks and I don't know if there are any track tires would fit the carbon wheels. The beauty of the optional BBS wheels are Hoosier has tires made and tested for the GT in that size.

I guess the best solution is use the lightweight BBS wheels with Hoosiers for the track and to buy another set of wheels for the street. The street set may be another brand and or size, or one of Ford's offerings. Going with another set of Ford wheels would be the easiest, buy then you are stuck with the Goodyear's that I am not fond of.

The critria for choosing a street wheel would be the selection of tires for that size and the look that you want.

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005

1. Poor tread life.

I agree with Black Ice. Would add one further comment about the stock Goodyears. If ytoy use them on the track they have a tendency to chunk, meaning throw off tread, from the center of the rear tires. I have seen Ford test GTs on their return from various tracks and the rear tires are missing substantial amounts of tread.

Sometimes the tread is not completely thrown off the carcass. You need to see if the tread can be lifted if you use the street tires at the track. Yes I know first hand.

Use the Hossiers for track only. Use the Goodyears for street only and everything will be fine. No chunking if used for street only.

The interesting thing is that its the same tire, meaning model, is used on the Z06. Never had the problem with the Z06 using street tires on the track. Thus it seems to support that the two tires, Gt / Z06, while same name and model use different construction and/or compound which has been told to be by others.

Dave

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
I too am planning on using the R6's for dry-weather driving close to home this summer ( if summer ever comes to northern Michigan. :frown )

They have no grip if the road is wet or damp. Thus they are dangerous. Check the others posts that say the same, espeically about the F40 Ferrari.

They are not intended to be street tires regardless of the DOT rating.

Dave

everetto

GT Owner
Sep 4, 2006
Desert Southwest
The interesting thing is that its the same tire, meaning model, is used on the Z06. Never had the problem with the Z06 using street tires on the track. Thus it seems to support that the two tires, Gt / Z06, while same name and model use different construction and/or compound which has been told to be by others.Dave

Note that the Z06 tire while the same model, is a runflat, and the GT tire is not - entirely different sidewalls.

I put Michelin Sport Cups (very agressive R-compound track tire) on my Z06 for limited street driving. It can be done if you are always aware of conditions - meaning no wet driving - period! And, warm pavement is a necessity, i.e., if you live in a warm climate you can do some street driving on track tires and get away with it, but the tires don't last long, and you constantly have to be aware of your driving conditions to a much greater degree. Note that I am not recommending it....

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Note that the Z06 tire while the same model, is a runflat, and the GT tire is not - entirely different sidewalls.

No so. The Z06 tire is not a run flat on my C5. It has the compressor and gunk bottle if you get a flat. You can not drive with a flat.

Dave

everetto

GT Owner
Sep 4, 2006
Desert Southwest
No so. The Z06 tire is not a run flat on my C5. It has the compressor and gunk bottle if you get a flat. You can not drive with a flat.

Dave
My mistake - I assumed a C6 Z06, which has runflats from the factory.