Good News / Bad News

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Yikes. :eek

That was a shock to read - what happened?

Very pleased to read you're both OK.

An "apparently" drunk driver hit them from behind while they were going down I-10 just 6 miles from their house as they had just left for Rally III. Pretty much knocked them off the highway - breaking the rear suspension so as Fred had no control. He did several "360's" before coming to a stop in the ditch. He said the doors were un-damaged!:eek

911teo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 5, 2007
Surrey, UK
As someone that has been through a similar accident I am so glad you are ok.

Cars can be fixed.

The next one will be more special.

Again I am really glad that no-one was hurt!

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Here Is What Happened

Thanks guys for all of the kind words and well wishes.

It did kind of shake me up a bit.

Here’s what happened.

Clayton and I headed out in the GT to meet up with Prowler so as to travel with him and his daughter to Scottsdale.

About 6 miles from home [yes only 6 miles from home] at 6:45 AM [still dark] we were hit in the left rear by a pickup truck at 60 to 65 mph.

Truck hit us in the left rear, went up on the left rear side of the clam shell of the GT, it broke the trailing link of the left rear suspension, bent the rear rim, along with who knows what other untold and unknown items.

Well, as I am sure you can imagine, the ride became kind of interesting at that point.

With this type of damage [even though I just know that A. J. Foyt and Dan Gurney had nothing on me at that moment in time :biggrin] I lost control, swevered a number of times, hit the guard rail, spun, hit the guard rail again nose on, came to a stop with more than half of the machine still out in the interstate with the world still dark, and other cars heading directly at my poor GT.

After the car stopped, Clayton jumped out and started to flag cars down getting them to move over into the fast lane so as not to hit the GT broad side.

After moving the car out of the highway so it would be clear from the oncoming traffic, I looked over to where the truck had been; guess what? - he had driven away and was well on his way up the grade and accelerating.

A true “hit and run”.

THIS SUCKS.

If you can say illegal alien, drunk, loaded, no insurance, hit and run – then you probably know who it must have been.

I am reminded why I do not have a license to carry a concealed weapon – the bastard would have been shot for certain.

Sheriff came and took a report.

Got the Heritage towed on the local flatbed wrecker back to the ranch.

After calming down for a bit, then went out to assess the damage.

What can I say – the situation is not good, not good at all.

Called my insurance company to report the accident; which I know, I will just love to deal with after we return home.

Clayton and I packed up into another car and headed out once again to The Ford GT Rally III, although we were now 6 hours behind schedule and not in my beloved GT.

Life is still good, and we are still enjoying the ride.:thumbsup

The Spirit Heritage GT WILL BE BACK up and running again.:thumbsup

I WILL NOT LET THE BASTARDS GET ME DOWN.

NOW - ON WITH THE FORD GT RALLY III.:thumbsup

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Glad you and Clayton are OK, great seeing you last night.

cobrajeff

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 5, 2006
Daytona Beach
Fred -

So sorry to hear about this - but very glad that you and your son are OK. The car can be replaced - you guys can't.

Relax and have a couple cold ones with my old friend Bony.

Sorry to miss all you guys at Rally III.

regards,

Jeff

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
I hope they find the guy and take the total measure of law available.

Glad that you are both OK and are still planning on attending Rally3. :thumbsup

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Fred is here is and has a great attitude about this sad incident,

Chris A.

GT #32
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2007
Ortega Mountain, CA
Could have been worse Fred.....Happy your not letting this cancel your plans

Last edited:

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
SPIRIT you ROCK!

I need your autograph! I am amazed at how Luck and Providence effect our daily existence. You are an inspirational member turning around and heading towards the Rally, after such an experience.
tiphat2.gif

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
Wow...sounds like it was a hell of a rodeo! After hearing the story two things stand out even more. Most importantly you guys are fine and about to enjoy the hospitality of the GT brotherhood. Second it is good to know how well these cars are built in the event of such a terrible accident. :thumbsup

I hope they catch the guy who did this and get him off the road. Hope you enjoy the rest of your trip. :cheers

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
Spirit very glad you and your son are OK. Shakn but not stirred nor deterred. Have a great time at Rally III.

FourFather

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 24, 2007
Wichita Falls, Texas 76306
I am so sorry to hear about what happened to your gal:frown, but congratulations on y'all being OK, and on your attitude!:thumbsup

Eddie

AZSTAD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 4, 2008
Arizona
Fred - very sorry to hear about this. But as everyone's saying - your lives are in tact. Which is the best thing.

I appreciate the detailed description - as it double-confirms my wanting to do a "bumper delete" and so far not having done so. I won't be either after this and speaking to Rich on Sunday night.

Look forward to meeting you at the Rally gatherings.

All the best man.

Shane

TifosiTed

GT Owner
Jul 30, 2007
Chicago Burbs
So glad you guys are OK. Sounds pretty scary to be stopped sideways on the highway in the dark after getting hit.

I am truly blown away that you simply got in another car and went to the rally anyway. You have my vote for FGT owner of the year 2008.:thumbsup

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Fred! I am terribly sorry to hear about this. I hope they catch the bastard and he gets what's coming to him.

As has been said, the car can be replaced, you and Clayton can't. Thank God you are both ok. If there is anything any of us can do to help, please don't hesitate to ask.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Jesus that makes me so f*cking mad.

Apart from the fact that you could have been injured (he obviously didn't check, could have, didn't) - he's wrecked a beautiful car.

Any chance of CCTV footage from nearby stores or petrol stations? No other car drivers stopped? Jeez, I would have given chase had I seen this from behind.

I guess even if you did catch the asshole he's probably only got 2 pesos to his name.

I'm amazed you have the appearance of calm about this. I am hopping mad just reading about it.

Really sorry about it, very bad news and highly irritating.

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
There are times when carrying a Smith & Wesson, Model 66 or Baretta would be useful and satisfying.

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
I guess either Mrs. Spirit or myself are your good luck charms. When I heard about it I immediately asked myself what if. If I was making the run we were planning to go to Midland to make the run with Peak. That would have put you on a different route and further away from Mexico for a few miles.

Oh well all of these maybes doesn't fix your car. I'm glad you are OK. Let me know when we can get together when you get back. I'm going to hug my car when I get home.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
There are times when carrying a Smith & Wesson, Model 66 or Baretta would be useful and satisfying.

Aaaaaaah, but if thee duth fire upon the perp as he duth FLEE-ETH (and this bozo DID) thee WILL find thyself in hot water ... so to speek(eth). :willy:willy:willy

(In any case, 'suggest a Springfield Arms XD "Compact" .45....'14 rounds with one in the pipe. Oh. And carry an extra clip 'cause ya just never know........! )

Regardless, Fred wouldn't (didn't) have time to use one anyway.

'Bet the guy's in Mexico by now...with all his fellow slimeball hit & run pals.

Last edited:

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
Fred, glad you and your son are alright. Also glad you were able to make the Rally.