Good Cop Bad Cop

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
I had the 2018 GT out for a drive this weekend. Pulled up to a signal light... of course right next to me is a cop that was in front of me. He signals me to roll down my window. He looks at me with a straight face.."where is your front plate?" I went silent and then said I couldn't find a way to attach it. He then laughed and said "just kidding. Beautiful car!" Nice there are cops out there that get it.

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
A couple of weeks ago, a cop was in front of me--then got behind so I'm just waiting for the lights and no front plate lecture . He pulls up next to me with a big thumbs up.

Reactions: Special K

franimal007

Owner
Nov 1, 2018
Endwell, NY
Yeah, we got that also in beautiful New York State. Years ago, I got that and was told to get it on or else. from then on, I either put both plates on the rear and told the cops that I had the bracket on order and put both back there to keep them together, that worked, but I know it was not for long, (small Upstate NY town), then I started placing the front plate on the dash and I actually think they are happy with that. But thats kind of unsafe. Its sad that some cannot use good judgment on things like that. I never understood the 2 plate gig, it would seem to me that one could place them on 2 cars if they wanted to.

Has anyone ever come up with something that would allow the front plate to be on, but easily removed when you want the car to look good?

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
I bought a device that attaches to where the tow hook screws in and the plate attaches to it.

franimal007

Owner
Nov 1, 2018
Endwell, NY
I bought a device that attaches to where the tow hook screws in and the plate attaches to it.
Oh, that sounds good, where did you find it?

D06GT19GT

GT Owner
Aug 23, 2018
Most CHP are car guys around here. Assuming you are not acting like a jerk, they usually give you the thumbs.

Reactions: Ed Sims

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California

I bought one of these, also at least a decade ago, and use it at car shows. Particularly helpful at Cops, Cars, and Coffee...

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
Ive had my fair share of brushes with the LEOs but the most memorable one was when I was exiting the highway onto my street god knows how fast and he just happened to be entering the highway right behind me. naturally pulled me over and I was sure I would at the very least get a few tickets for speeding improper lane change no signaling etc or perhaps even go to jail. He asked me what the hell I was thinking I said sorry officer I was just opening her up a bit to make sure she is running well before I get home and put her away for sometime..

meanwhile the car is still idling he takes one long walk around the car and Im thinking great add a front license plate ticket to the total, comes back looks at me and says

"oh she running real good" then lets me go with a warning.

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Been stopped countless times for no front plate, always received a warning, never a ticket. Lots of cops are car guys, and they get it.

franimal007

Owner
Nov 1, 2018
Endwell, NY
Just ordered the front plate bracket from GOMINIGO!

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
A front plate ruins the look of the NGT.

In 30+ years on California I have had 3 front plate tickets out of over 25 stops. They are $5-10 "fix it" tickets. Have a peace officer friend sign it off. Or double side foam tape it on & have any peace officer check it & sign it off.

Ed

PS On the other hand, front license plates on ugly cars like a GT-R can't ruin the looks. LOL!

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Curious if the tow hook threads are them same on the 05/06 and the new GT? I have not tried it on the 2018 yet.

jr66

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2017
scottsdale
Another reason besides nice weather to live in Arizona. No front plate required.

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Right up to the heat of summer... then you have to make your way to the central coast of California

Gary

GT Owner
May 11, 2006
Festus, Missouri
Speaking of GT's and cops when i first got my 2005 GT i drove down to Farmington MO to show by Viper owning friend. Pulled into a gas station for a fill up and two St Francois County deputies pulled in next to me. They had plenty of admiring questions. One of which was about it's top speed. I told them what i had been told of about 203 MPH. They offered to block off a part of US 67 some night late for me to have a speed run. I declined there offer. True story.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
good cops!

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_4130.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_4130.jpeg
    210.6 KB · Views: 24

DLM

Mar 28, 2019
I drove into a roadblock on a 2 lane on Memorial Day where they were checking, probably for DUI people. Three troopers stopped what they were doing, looked the car over as traffic piled up behind, asked me to show how the door opened. Gave various compliments to the car and then as they waved me on one says “looks like your front plate blew off” with a big smile.

Reactions: Special K

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I have used my "mower axle" front plate bracket on the NGT for state inspection.

Curious if the tow hook threads are them same on the 05/06 and the new GT? I have not tried it on the 2018 yet.

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Most CHP are car guys around here. Assuming you are not acting like a jerk, they usually give you the thumbs.

Your profile on the left doesn't indicate where you live, so where is around here?

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
I was exiting the highway onto my street god knows how fast and he just happened to be entering the highway right behind me.

How can you be exiting and the cop entering and he is right behind you? Having a hard time wrapping my brain around this dynamic, then again it is Calif which doesn't seem to know if it's coming or going. LOL

Reactions: Button and SteveA