Garage 4 Post Car Lifts

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I put a 4-post lift in my garage a couple houses ago, and was surprised how intrusive those posts are- really tightens up the space.

Next time I'll do a single post lift. Several people make them, just google "single post car lift."

Single post a better, space wise, for storing cars and the tradeoff, being less friendly for servicing.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
The GT Guys sell replacement mirrors if you buy a lift that is too narrow or very close to being to narrow. DO NOT ASK ME HOW I KNOW THIS!!!:ack

Larry

Uuuuuuuh, Larry? How do you KNOW this? :biggrin

the OTHER Larry

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Single post a better, space wise, for storing cars and the tradeoff, being less friendly for servicing.

I like the service aspect with the "rolling bridge". Add a jack tray and four wheels can be raised off the ramps if needed.

I've done 3-4 transmission pulls, 1 rear end, 20+ oil changes, tires, multiple brake jobs and will also use the lift to set the body/ chassis together on a 65 vette.

I've also used it to lift engines from the tailgate to an engine hoist single handed... and from the engine hoist to the tailgate respectively.

When the car won't run (engine out etc..) and I need the use of the lift - I push the car off then pull it back onto the ramp with a come along winch....

One of my best tool investments I have made.

Be sure to get one tested by the American National Standards Institute (ASI)/ American Lift Association (ALI) tested by the Canadian ETL labs. If it's not listed - it's more than likely cheap Chinese..

check out this site and the FAQ section.....
http://www.ali-directory.org/ali/ali2.nsf/frmHome?OpenForm

ObeyMyFast!

GT Owner's son
May 5, 2009
San Diego
Get a Backyard Buddy, they are the best. I just bought one and love it.

I have one too. Although, there was one time where one of the legs kind of gave way, and moved a little. (we dont have ours bolted to the floor) And our Testarosa was on the top :O

After running for our lives, we came back, lifted the car a little more, and the leg popped back in place. Idk what happened, but it hasnt happened ever since...

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
Chip: I was thinking of a Rotary Revolution. I have an older one and its great.

I didn't know they were now made in China. Are you sure? Thats not what my dealer told me.

What are the concrete depth requirements for a single post lift???

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I personally don't like the light duty lifts like the Backyard Buddy, etc. I know others like them but for the same price you can get a true high capacity commercial lift made in the USA. This is my Rotary 12,500 lift. Look at the thickness of the steel beams on the platform. It lifts my F250 diesel with no problem. This lift was the same price as a Backyard Buddy. However, it must be bolted down (as all lifts should) and the thickness of the platform requires ramp extensions for low profile cars. Note my high dollar, 3/4" plywood ramp extensions (aluminum ramps are available).

DSC_0002.jpg

Last edited:

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
we have 3 of the off shore made 4 post lifts. They have a US made pump, they work fine for my needs.

STUNTS

FORD GT OWNER & LITTLE TIMMYS DAD!
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
I have a DANMAR 4 post lift....
Cost delivered $1867.00
Time to construct 6-8 hours depending on your patience..

Love it!!!

Attachments

• Lift.jpg
    Lift.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 1,166

MAD IN NC

Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
3 cars in a two car garage - nice Timmy......

I going to be at 5 cars in a 3 car by the end of this year with two lifts... one holding up a 5,900# Cadillac :eek

Think I'll go Sinovac's route of a 12k lift there but matching BendPaks will look good.....

.........to Chips earlier post about maximizing the height, i had my one G door raised within 6" of the ceiling as you can see in the Pic below. Cost $750. Done with track extensions. Now the limiter is a beam at 10' 6'. Now I have to do the other door......

Attachments

• open rear.jpg
    open rear.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 833
Last edited:

STUNTS

FORD GT OWNER & LITTLE TIMMYS DAD!
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
3 cars in a two car garage - nice Timmy......

I going to be at 5 cars in a 3 car by the end of this year with two lifts... one holding up a 5,900# Cadillac :eek

Think I'll go Sinovac's route of a 12k lift there but matching BendPaks will look good.....

....and believe it or not, 3 motorcycles fit in there too.... dirtbikes and one is timmy's 50, but non-the-less, 3 :cheers

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Rotary Revolution.

Chip:

I was thinking of a Rotary Revolution. I have an older one and its great.

I didn't know they were now made in China. Are you sure? Thats not what my dealer told me.

Yes, I am sure.

There are still a few of the old "Made in the USA" Rotary Revolutions in dealer inventory. My local dealer in Phoenix bought a bunch of the last American made Rotary Revolutions. The China built replacement is still called the Revolution but is no longer listed as being built by Rotary. It's slightly larger, has a higher capacity, and is less than 1/2 the price. The home 4-post lift market is very price sensitive and the Chinese products with their much lower cost were outselling the more expensive American versions by a huge margin.

Rotary has formed a new company to market their Chinese built lifts, the Revolution Lift Company. They are still marketed by Rotary dealers. They may contain some American built parts but the new Revolution lifts are produced in China. Here's what to look for.

The last genuine American made, Rotary built, Revolution 4 post-lift was the RFP7, it had a capacity of 7000 pounds and the list price of about $6,500. It was built, start to finish, in America.

It's replacement is the Chinese built RFP9, which has a capacity of 9000 pounds and a list price of only $3095. So as to not dilute the Rotary brand, they have formed a separate division to market their Chinese lifts which is called now called "Revolution Lifts". They are sold by Rotary lift dealers who tell customers that they have many American-made parts, but they are not American Made and their price reflects that.

Rotary still makes commercial grade lifts in America. Perhaps your dealer has some USA built Revolutions in stock that were made over a year ago. The American built Revolution is a top quality product with welds and workmanship that I believe are superior to any of the Chinese made lifts. Their quality may be 20% better but they cost 200% to 300% more and the Chinese lifts are not failing and dropping cars on their owner's heads. The foreign-made lift is a much better deal unless you really want an American-made product, which I did. All the best.

Chip

Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Hey Chip, I thought you sold that Jeep?

BM SoCal

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 2, 2009
Orange County, CA
You guys are costing me money again. These lifts look great so now I will have to measure. Here's what I see as costs: Relocate tracks. Cost of lift and install. More cars.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Jeep

Hey Chip, I thought you sold that Jeep?

Frank,

I sold my yellow Jeep Rubicon. I've had that V-8 CJ-5 Jeep for 18 years now. It has only 6000 miles on it and is perfect.

Chip

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
I own a Backyard Buddy and a Gemini. Both are American made.

Have their been any reports of the Chinese ones failing? Articles to back up story would be good.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
A good deal or a "slightly" better lift.

Have their been any reports of the Chinese ones failing? Articles to back up story would be good.

......the Chinese lifts are not failing and dropping cars on their owner's heads. The foreign-made lift is a much better deal unless you really want an American-made product......

Mullet,

Although it may have happened, I'm not aware of any Chinese lifts that have failed and dropped a car or caused an injury. My dealer told me that they need to perform a quite a bit more warranty work on the Chinese lifts, but it's things like hydraulic leaks, faulty fittings, or electrical problems. Because all lifts incorporate safety latches that prevent them from unintentionally lowering a car more than a few inches, these are generally not safety problems. He told me that if you want a good deal on a perfectly serviceable 4 post-lift, the Chinese lifts are the way to go. But if you can stand the price, the very best 4 post-lifts for home use are still "Made in America".

Chip

MAD IN NC

Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina

Last edited:

jim gibson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 13, 2009
warren, ohio
Again buy a Backyard Buddy. They have optional dolly wheels that allow you to roll around with with car on it. They are powder coated, but best of all they are made in the USA! Call Larry at Backyard Buddy He has anything you want, including one that will pick up a 1 ton dually. This a high quality lift.

MAD IN NC

Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Wheels, pans, dolly's, stands, oil pans... you can get them for any lift and all have them.........

Opinions, your choice of lift and a$$holes have one thing in common - everybody has one...

PeakCompletions

Boost is an addiction...
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 6, 2007
West Texas
I am looking for a lift which will be flush with the floor (no ramps to drive on)... lift the car up and then be able to store another car underneath... (understand there must be something to take up the gap off the ramps once lift is up)...

might need to engineer something but wondered if there was something out there somewhere...