Future potential owner here some questions about a Ford GT I want to buy....

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
When I let people sit in my 2016 Dodge Viper ACR or 2014 Viper GTS I don't care if they adjust the seat as it easily adjusts back to my preferred position. If you're that much of a prick that someone moves your seat I wouldn't associate with you anyways and wouldn't come near your car.

I'm a very generous person and I've found monumental success in life by being open and generous (not driving my cars but letting someone sit in it is inconsequential to me) that I can tell very quickly if your a dick and a couple of pricks on here can only make me laugh.

I wanted to give you another opposing point of view using a ​real scenario I have been witness to.

Mark1107

Mar 17, 2017
I wanted to give you another opposing point of view using a ​real scenario I have been witness to.

I can respect that point of view, seriously. It's just that if someone or a stranger at cars and coffee asks I don't see it being a big deal. If someone at 6'5 300 lbs asks obviously they aren't going to fit.

Mark1107

Mar 17, 2017
As an FYI,

I was told by the seller this car is associated in some way with Andy House of Lufkin Texas of the Bugatti in the lake fame...so now I'm concerned. I just ran an autocheck and a car fax on it, both were clean... it might be too good to be true.

Is there a way to run the vin to pull up the exact options on this car?

Never mind I found a vin decoder site.

Last edited:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Just going by your first post, if you know the car is in horrible condition and needs a ton of work, I wouldn't be that concerned about the chain of custody. Whoever had it, it's in the condition you've described.

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't buy a horrible condition Ford GT because there's a high likelihood that you will chase making it right to the same or greater dollar amount one that was right in the first place was, and then when you're done, you'll have a GT that was in horrible condition at some point. Virtually every single major component on the car is expensive to replace at this point. All of the interior components are expensive. The suspension components are expensive. Some of the stuff is difficult to find. There are plenty of good condition GTs with higher mileages you don't have to pay $275k to buy.

I would just find a high mileage good condition car and work from there.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
You will fit in car fine.

If you think you are saving money purchasing a car that needs work, sadly you won't. I would run based on your description. Do what DBK says - budget $225-250+/- and get a higher mileage car that is in good shape.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
I'm almost 6'2" and 245 lbs and fit in mine snugly. Not too tight, but no extra room either. Shoulder width is fine. I drove it from Virginia to Texas last year for the Rally and was reasonably comfortable. If you are long in the torso and short in the legs, you will have to recline the seat substantially, or install a Gurney Bump.

I second what the others said about cost to restore a GT. Make sure your price takes that into account, plus a healthy margin for error.

Tungsten1663

GT Owner
Dec 10, 2013
When I purchased mine in 2013 it was the nicest example for what I was willing to pay at the time, the car had 30k when purchased and it was about 50-60k lower than sub 10k mile cars that were for sale. I wanted a car to drive and enjoy, now with almost 40k all i've done is regular services and tires. The forum member I purchased it from took excellent care of the car so the miles didn't bother me, these cars take miles really really well. A well cared for GT with miles is nothing to be scared of, save some money and drive it a ton. All the best with your search.

Last edited:

Mark1107

Mar 17, 2017
I really appreciate everyone's responses. I sincerely hope I can make it work out... I will know in a couple of weeks if I can work out the deal. I will keep everyone posted. This truly is a great group of guys on here.

Tomcat

GT Owner
I too have a (bought at 36k miles) higher miles GT and drive it whenever the urge/situation dictates with almost no consideration for adding miles.

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
DBK offers great advice. Good luck in getting your GT.

I feel lucky to have bought my GT with 700miles and got to put on 24,000 K myself. I am 6ft Tall body, short legs, and higher than any weights mentioned here. I fit fine after having the seat modified

Mark1107

Mar 17, 2017
Deal is looking dead. The dash board is not with the car. No vin plate no odometer. The owner said that Ford will give him a new dash and vin if he shows he owns the car and the previous one was destroyed?

Is this true?

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Deal is looking dead. The dash board is not with the car. No vin plate no odometer. The owner said that Ford will give him a new dash and vin if he shows he owns the car and the previous one was destroyed?

Is this true?

Not sure it matters. Run from this car

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
(IF) you had to purchase a dash from the Ford dealer, SRP is over $32,000.00 which does not include the lower dash panel, gauge cluster or odometer. those components alone (used) would be another $7,000.00-8000.00. there is a possibility that X2 Builders may sell those parts from a wreck but also the small little things such as brackets, hardware and modules that can kill you putting one of these together. Also, I forgot to mention the gauge check module that hangs just above the driver's left knee under the dash. add another $8,000.00 for that little black box. just sayin as others have, "run my friend" from that one. spend the extra $$ and you'll be much more happy in the long run. jmho

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
(IF) you had to purchase a dash from the Ford dealer, SRP is over $32,000.00 which does not include the lower dash panel, gauge cluster or odometer. those components alone (used) would be another $7,000.00-8000.00. there is a possibility that X2 Builders may sell those parts from a wreck but also the small little things such as brackets, hardware and modules that can kill you putting one of these together. Also, I forgot to mention the gauge check module that hangs just above the driver's left knee under the dash. add another $8,000.00 for that little black box. just sayin as others have, "run my friend" from that one. spend the extra $$ and you'll be much more happy in the long run. jmho

To the OP: Are you sure this isn't a body sold for parts on a salvage title? Dashes don't just disappear...

In fact, this car sounds almost like a salvage car from X2 builders sold for parts that someone is trying to resurrect.

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
I have a red and white 12,000 mi. GT for sale

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Mark ,,, this car deserves to go to only one place.... the full size hydraulic car crusher !!!
andy (ajb)

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
The frame might break the crusher (remember the frame testing circa 2004)

I would buy a basket case for the right number, in a heartbeat.

,,, this car deserves to go to only one place.... the full size hydraulic car crusher !!!)

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Mark 1107.

If the deal is dead, this is a favor to you. It really is. The more you post about the car condition the sketcher the "deal" sounds.

Listen to DBK, JaxGT and NorthwoodGT. They are giving you valuable advice.

Find a driver with a reasonable number of miles and join us in Utah this fall for another great rally!

rsstopper

GT Owner
Oct 9, 2006
Arizona
Mark 1107.

If the deal is dead, this is a favor to you. It really is. The more you post about the car condition the sketcher the "deal" sounds.

Listen to DBK, JaxGT and NorthwoodGT. They are giving you valuable advice.

Find a driver with a reasonable number of miles and join us in Utah this fall for another great rally!

There is a black w/ white stripes at the Mecum auction coming up in Houston.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RickH

GT Owner
Mar 5, 2015
Florida
Also this weekend at Mecum Kansas City auction there is a 2005 Black 4 option GT with 4,600 miles coming up for sale. Lot # S112.1