Future potential owner here some questions about a Ford GT I want to buy....

Mark1107

Mar 17, 2017
Hi guys and gals, a potential future owner here. I love cars and have always wanted a Ford GT. I own two gen v vipers a 2014 GTS and a 2016 ACR Extreme, and a Challenger Hellcat. My first new car was a 1994 Mustang GT convertible. My grandfather owned a Ford dealership in the 1970's in Ohio. I own a couple of full size range rovers brand new the wife and I drive. Cars are my passion and my existence revolves around beautiful marques of cars and I've always lusted after a Ford GT.

A couple of questions for the group:

1. I'm 6'0 tall broad linebacker shoulders ex football player 265 lbs. I sat in a 2005 Ford gt, but the owner was 5'8 and his only requirement for allowing me to sit in his car was that I was not allowed to adjust the seat. He was a complete dick about it, so I couldn't fairly judge if it's a comfortable car for me. (He's also a viper owner as well.) will i fit comfortably? Are there 6'0 or higher bigger guys that fit?

2. I found a horrible condition Ford gt at my price point in my dream color that needs a lot of interior work. I've been talking to some of the vendors/experts on the forum and it seems like a doable project to restore it to original condition. For e.g the previous owner destroyed the suspension by putting a liberty walk on it stanced look, (google it,) horrible rims, ripped out and put a custom interior in it, modified the paint scheme, etc. but once again this specific car is at a sweet price point for the exact car in the exact options I want. ( I won't go into specifics since it's a pending deal...)

3. Are there any unobtanium parts that I will never source? Meaning seats or carpet or gauges or suspension or rims parts I will never find? Or expert vendors on here can't source? Just curious?

4. Short of wrecked or bad titles or grey market cars, I still feel that even high mileage bad history Ford GTs are still so special, so rare, so beautiful, even restoring a bad history car in my fav paint scheme and price point is worth it and after restoration I feel the car will be worth 80-90 percent of the value of a mint car and I would still make money on it in the future just because of passion, rarity, history and desireability.

This one car is at a killer price point that (2016 Dodge Viper ACR territory price) I can join the exclusive club of Ford gt history for.

Your thoughts guys and gals?

Mark

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Shelby can totally redo your interior! It will be new! He is a support vendor on this forum so contact him! I'd say do what it takes to get any GT if the price is fair. It's the coolest car ever!

Ed

Mark1107

Mar 17, 2017
Shelby can totally redo your interior! It will be new! He is a support vendor on this forum so contact him! I'd say do what it takes to get any GT if the price is fair. It's the coolest car ever!

Ed

Thank you Ed. Can you please direct me to Shelbys link/website?

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
http://eliteautosllc.com

info@eliteautosllc.com

This is Shelby's email & website but you can also PM on this forum also. He is on every day so he will see this. You will be happy.

Ed

Mark1107

Mar 17, 2017
Thank you Ed.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Be sure to tell us where you reside... Still in Ohio?

Mark1107

Mar 17, 2017
Los Angeles! Car is on the east coast.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Knights auto works in Wisconsin is an expert in our interiors. He did the interiors for all of the GTX1's, and many others, either modded, or back to a stock look. Not sure if Steve is still in business. Yelp says closed. Here is a link with a phone number. Most other parts are still redily available, but for a price.

https://www.dandb.com/businessdirectory/knightsautoworks-milwaukee-wi-1813960.html

Gauges more threads than you will ever want to read, as there are well documented issues, many have gone for an aftermarket complete package (myself included), that is very reasonable, and can be made to look almost stock, but also customized, if desired.

http://www.speedhut.com/gauges/?catid=f222

Last edited:

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
"his only requirement for allowing me to sit in his car was that I was not allowed to adjust the seat. He was a complete dick about it"
let you sit in his car and he was the dick? wow

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
I think if you find it mechanically sound and just want a good drivers car, go for it. For me OEM interior I would want. Lots of us have aftermarket wheels. Set of Speedhut gauges won't set you back much at all but I do prefer the original gauges problems and all. Keep us posted and welcome??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Ha ha, sounds like you're looking at Special Ed's car.

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Don't get too hung up on initial price. What may seem like a deal can go south quick when you start buying GT parts and labor
Buying a GT without an inspection or known history can be tricky and costly.

Dwhite

Yeah, I'm also contemplating a FGT. I use the old adage on any car purchase I make. Get the best one you can afford, it always pays in the long run. I also don't like cars which are messed with, I like to buy bone stock and if necessary do my own personalizing. If the interior is all messed up, what is the rest of the car like. Lastly, I would not buy a car from a person like that, I would want the person to be passionate about the car and makeme want it more than when I showed up. Just sayin'.

As I'm not an odometer guy, I only care about condition, from what I see the prices are reasonable if you look at cars with some mileage, over 7K. Personally, I don't see them as investments if you are going to drive the car, which is the only reason I have ever bought a toy.

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
Yeah, I'm also contemplating a FGT. I use the old adage on any car purchase I make. Get the best one you can afford, it always pays in the long run. I also don't like cars which are messed with, I like to buy bone stock and if necessary do my own personalizing. If the interior is all messed up, what is the rest of the car like. Lastly, I would not buy a car from a person like that, I would want the person to be passionate about the car and makeme want it more than when I showed up. Just sayin'.

As I'm not an odometer guy, I only care about condition, from what I see the prices are reasonable if you look at cars with some mileage, over 7K. Personally, I don't see them as investments if you are going to drive the car, which is the only reason I have ever bought a toy.
+1

Cobraguy

GT Owner
At 6' I doubt you'll have any GT legroom issues (the seat goes way back) but depending on how your potatoes are sacked you may have some upper back width challenges. At 5'11" / 230 I am very comfortable in the GT but find my Viper quite tight up top. As far as picking a GT up that is priced to reflect its condition....make sure you get a realistic breakdown on what it will cost to bring it up to whatever level you're happy with. This number may shock you.
Figure out how to land a GT asap and head to the Rally this fall! Happy Hunting!

Cobraguy

GT Owner
At 6' I doubt you'll have any GT legroom issues (the seat goes way back) but depending on how your potatoes are sacked you may have some upper back width challenges. At 5'11" / 230 I am very comfortable in the GT but find my Viper quite tight up top. As far as picking a GT up that is priced to reflect its condition....make sure you get a realistic breakdown on what it will cost to bring it up to whatever level you're happy with. This number may shock you.
Figure out how to land a GT asap and head to the Rally this fall! Happy Hunting!

Mark1107

Mar 17, 2017
thank you everyone for your responses. I really appreciate it. I will keep everyone posted as things happen.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
"his only requirement for allowing me to sit in his car was that I was not allowed to adjust the seat. He was a complete dick about it"
let you sit in his car and he was the dick? wow

I have a friend who is 6'5" and 280-300lbs who thinks it is a hilarious joke to try to force himself into an unsuspecting (and permissive) owner's sports car. Yeah, you can hear the creaking, cracking and stretching and he shoehorns himself into that "roller skate".

Yeah, it's Effing hilarious. :bored

At least he asked me first to which the answer was NO way. On this one, I will be the dick.

Mark1107

Mar 17, 2017
I have a friend who is 6'5" and 280-300lbs who thinks it is a hilarious joke to try to force himself into an unsuspecting (and permissive) owner's sports car. Yeah, you can hear the creaking, cracking and stretching and he shoehorns himself into that "roller skate".

Yeah, it's Effing hilarious. :bored

At least he asked me first to which the answer was NO way. On this one, I will be the dick.

When I let people sit in my 2016 Dodge Viper ACR or 2014 Viper GTS I don't care if they adjust the seat as it easily adjusts back to my preferred position. I'm a very generous person and I've found monumental success in life by being open and generous (not driving my cars but letting someone sit in it is inconsequential to me).

For those kind enough to respond in a positive manner thank you very much.

Last edited:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Let's try this one again starting now.

Wrong car community to start in with name calling, chest thumping and attitudes.