Full Racing GTs

The One

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 19, 2007
Kentucky
How many full racing GTs have been built or converted to a dedicated race car? I would like to know world wide, in every form of racing.

These are some of the cars that have responded so far:

Attachments

• Robertson 40-04.jpg
    Robertson 40-04.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 283
  • ACS Express Racing.jpg
    ACS Express Racing.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 292
  • nz05gt.jpg
    nz05gt.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 284
  • Team Copa.jpg
    Team Copa.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 284
  • 08stillen_gt.jpg
    08stillen_gt.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
Stillin has at least one.

nz05gt

GT Owner
Apr 28, 2006
taupo new zealand
And this one
also how many are still running the 5.4 sc engine:thumbsup

Neil

Attachments

• Ford-GT-Wallpaper-wide-690x431.jpg
    Ford-GT-Wallpaper-wide-690x431.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 469
  • H-1 001.jpg
    H-1 001.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 470
  • GT & mustang 002.jpg
    GT & mustang 002.jpg
    285.9 KB · Views: 464
Last edited:

nz05gt

GT Owner
Apr 28, 2006
taupo new zealand
and as she looks today,
:banana
cheers
Neil

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    247.3 KB · Views: 459
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    245.7 KB · Views: 459
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    278.5 KB · Views: 458
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    268.5 KB · Views: 461

nz05gt

GT Owner
Apr 28, 2006
taupo new zealand
And someone else was having fun running there GT in the NZ Targa tour

Attachments

• Targa-NZ-2010-John-Coyle-690x459.jpg
    Targa-NZ-2010-John-Coyle-690x459.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 453
Aug 25, 2006
And someone else was having fun running there GT in the NZ Targa tour

This is a forum member and he shared with me that he had a great time

Shadowman

nz05gt

GT Owner
Apr 28, 2006
taupo new zealand
This is a forum member and he shared with me that he had a great time

Shadowman

Gimbal

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Stillin has at least one.

Stillen is really considered to be a street legal "Rally car". It is basically a stock car with roll cage, cell, and safety features, along with their brake, aero, suspension, and other key mods that many of us have on our street cars. Rally rules mandate that the car be street legal. If the question is focused on dedicated "closed course" race cars the numbers are fewer. Neil Hodgson in New Zealand was most likely the first to modify and race a FGT in a GT series. I would guess that the total number of dedicated FGT closed course cars to be less than 15 world-wide. (New edit: Sorry Neil, I just saw your earlier post, hope you are well, haven't seen you since Rally I in Detroit! I plan to visit New Zealand someday soon, I'll pay you a visit.)

Last edited:

The One

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 19, 2007
Kentucky
Good point Tim, I knew there would be differing opinions on what a "race car" was, but hear from everyone that knew of cars that raced. Distill and categorize later. Hopefully some people will know the company generated VINs' or IDs' and maybe we could put together a history of these cars.

H GT Race Mule

LM GT Tech
Jan 5, 2008
Buford GA
We at Robertson racing have two ACO legal GT2 Doran Ford GTs Chassis 002 and chassis 004.
We started with Chassis 002 that I built along with Doran up in Ohio at the beginning of 2008. This car ran as the #40 in 2008 and 2009 ALMS until at the beginning of 2010 it was crashed heavily at a Sebring test, so in the short time scale before the race we bought the 004 chassis from Doran and ran it as the #40 through 2010. The 002 chassis had a new casting welded into the rear right and a bunch of other repairs throughout 2010 and came back as our second car at Petit LeMans as the #04 car.
For 2011 we intend to run both cars for the full ALMS season and intend to try and get an entry to LeMans for both cars.
The Doran 001 chassis has still to be completed and chassis 003 was the Falken car which was then sold to ACS in California, unfortunately it was crashed hard at petit and the chassis was destroyed. Our Mule car is the same as the one in the You Tube video above, I just finished helping those guys out with the parts. check out the centre lock wheels this will also allow big breaks to be fitted, and its all bolt on.

H

Gimbal

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 11, 2007
Queenstown, New Zealand
Hi Bill and Neil, yep back home from Targa and SEMA. Good couple of weeks. No issues during Targa. Not full race but set up with some Stillen devices that worked well during the rally. 3.9 diff, brakes, exhaust (which was a big hit!), bottoming out pads (came into play many times), prefect combo of tires (Dunlop Diressa front and PS2 rears). Bill's clear wrap just got paid for too!
Can't wait till next year.

Attachments

• Me and GT.jpg
    Me and GT.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 288
  • Steve and Phillip.jpg
    Steve and Phillip.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 288
  • Me and Steve.jpg
    Me and Steve.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 283
  • Jamie and GT.jpg
    Jamie and GT.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 287

cobrajeff

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 5, 2006
Daytona Beach
I am tracking GTs that have been converted to race cars, too. I have the Ford VINs of Neils, Stillens, and Robertsons. Neils and one of Robertsons and were converted from street cars; Stillen's car was originally a pre-production prototype with a 2004 Model Year VIN. If anyone else knows the Ford VIN numbers of GTs that have been converted into race cars, I'd appreciate you passing along the information for my Ford GT database.

regards,

Jeff

The One

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 19, 2007
Kentucky
Jeff
I am sure that "H GT Race Mule" has the history of their converted mule. I hope we can get a complete database someday on all. And thanks to "H" for his info also.
Tom

Last edited:

Xtreme

GT Owner
Oct 30, 2010
We just built one for a 25 hour endurance race. www.fordgtxtreme.com

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
We just built one for a 25 hour endurance race. www.fordgtxtreme.com

Thanks for the excellent link. The second of the "build photos" in your slideshow showing the airborne GT with a full suspension droop is very cool. Good luck with the racing effort!

H GT Race Mule

LM GT Tech
Jan 5, 2008
Buford GA
Please feel free to go over to the Robertson Racing Facebook site and view "A Few Seconds More". This video was shot at Petit LeMans in 2009, showing Dave Murry's effort for our little independent team putting the Ford GT at the front of the GT2 field.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Braselton-GA/Robertson-Racing/325975992010

Also, be sure to become a fan of Robertson Racing!

Thanks,
H

http://www.robertsonrace.com/mainmenu.html

Last edited:

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
Our car is a "race-car" but as Mr. Cantwell points out, it is still "streetable." In order to compete in the Targa rallies the car has to pass the most basic street legal rules. However, the A/C has been pulled, air bags removed, cats deleted. It has been fitted with racing seats and harnesses, roll cage, AP Racing brakes, AP Racing race clutch, Penske two way adjustable racing shocks, exhaust, 3.90 ring and pinion, and much more. It is just like anything, it is purposely built and prepared for the type of racing we intended on using it in.

With that being said, it is nowhere near as extensively built/modified as the Matech or Robertson Racing GT's. If we ran our car that low or with that body work we probably wouldn't make it past the first day of a Targa rally! LOL!:cheers:usa

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
If we ran our car that low or with that body work we probably wouldn't make it past the first day of a Targa rally!
As I recall some of the stories you passed on to me whilst visiting your shop you could be called "Ol' Iron Pants" with the height of your car already. :eek

I'm also glad that Robertson Racing has "surfaced" back on the forum. I had a wonderful time listening to their history / adventures while at SEMA.

H GT Race Mule

LM GT Tech
Jan 5, 2008
Buford GA
We had a very nice story and photo spread on our number #40 Ford GT in Stay Classy Atlanta a digital car magazine.

Enjoy!

H

http://www.stayclassyatlanta.com/?p=2562