Fubar's GT Build

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Wow, looks like some big A$$ custom cooling!

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
Well... It looks like Mark is letting some secrets out early! :)

You guys are getting a sneak peak prior to the system's first public appearance at PRI in December. The car won't be "finished" or running at that point, but all the major components will be in place, displaying the new system at the show. It's been a long road to this point, but we're excited to be so close to reveling one of the projects that what we've been working so hard for so long on.

Thank you for the support.

Most have NO IDEA how much goes into producing something like this to the level it is being built at. Nothing is off the shelf. 95%+ of the system is designed from scratch. There is a phenomenal amount of our engineering and CAD labor to design all the elements of this system.

Some may ask, why go through the effort?... Our goal has and is to produce turbo GT power levels with screw charger throttle response and drivability. This requires a totally different approach to the way the screw system works to avoid some of the traditional limitations inherent with screw chargers. I believe in the saying: If you want the results everyone else gets, do what everyone else does. If you want better results, do things differently. Anything great is never easy, and anything easy is never great.

Aside of the number of hours to design this system (Engineering and CAD), and the hours to create this system (fabrication and assembly), there is the expense. You all can imagine Mark has a healthy amount of cash in this project... but most don't know that we are fronting a TON of the development cost for this build as well... our engineering time, CAD time, prototyping, CAM programing, and machining. That new 5 axis machined part Mark just posted for example... was first quoted at $26,000, the second shop quoted $21,000. Obviously that's absurd, but it took time to line out reasonable manufacturing processes for parts that are reproducible at reasonable cost. Point is we all know the old adage, "Time and Money". It takes both, and Mark and I are both heavily invested in each.

I hope that as the uniqueness of the system and the quality of the work is revealed, along with the final results of the project, coupled with the understanding of what is involved in this process... that a respect for the timeline will develop.

Most shops don't allow a public display of their prototyping processes, especially on something as complex as this build, for obvious reasons seen in this thread... but I know that I can speak for Mark and myself in saying that we are both extremely passionate about what we do and really enjoy sharing the process and evolution of his car with the forum.

All the best

PS... Last sneak peek pics until the show!

that is awesome!!!

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
I think I mentioned that Fish puts everything together in CAD to test for part collision before anything is created IRL. This is one of the images that keeps me going when Mullet asks 'so when is it going to be done?'

looks pretty cool, I'll take one too. ;)

oh and here goes since it's been a while........

longest build thread ever

Is it done yet?

;)

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Wow, Fish gave you the big images. I wasn't going to let that cat of the bag until after PRI but I'm glad he did. It gives you a better idea of the scope of this project and why it has been so technically challenging. I just hope the engine start up again soon.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
looks pretty cool, I'll take one too. ;)

oh and here goes since it's been a while........

longest build thread ever

Is it done yet?

;)
I think Fish is accepting deposits for the next set of components.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Last super-secret 5-axis part to come off the machine. Now they just need to be properly heat cycled ;)

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Man, Fubar, are you ever going to finish this car or is it going to be one of those never ending projects? How many years has it been now -- over a decade? Have the pistons, rods, and crank rusted together waiting for all these mods to be completed?

Been looking forward to it's completion for a long, long, long time. At this rate, I'll probably be in my grave and the headstone disintegrated before it's completed.

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
Man, Fubar, are you ever going to finish this car or is it going to be one of those never ending projects? How many years has it been now -- over a decade? Have the pistons, rods, and crank rusted together waiting for all these mods to be completed?

Been looking forward to it's completion for a long, long, long time. At this rate, I'll probably be in my grave and the headstone disintegrated before it's completed.

lol

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
HEY! Goals worth achieving usually take a bit more time than a run to your local Seven-Eleven!

Pockets, the Profound.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
But if you die before reaching your goals, "what difference does it make?"

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Oh, SHUDDUP, Clinton! You've missed the point completely!

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX

I see that you and mullet went to the same class for encouraging friends at finishing school. I just don't have the budget to throw another $60k at the car to make it happen now! All I have is pride in the work and hopes for the results. This about the only forum I post the details on. I just figured the techs here would enjoy the new approach to an old question. I'll just hold off an new stuff until the project is complete. That way nobody has to suffer thru this insidiously long build thread.

On another note, here is the newly designed intake plenum on the 5L Whipple. Fish got the machine lines to match up perfectly. Every looks like it was made to bolt up next to everything else. Nice work Shawn!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 543

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
That's disgustingly purrrrrrrrrdy!

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Fubar, they are just giving you some good natured ribbing. Please continue to post about your progress. The project is very interesting and adds much to the forum. It would take me just as long to do what you are doing, assuming I had the ability to do it at all. lol

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Fubar, they are just giving you some good natured ribbing. Please continue to post about your progress. The project is very interesting and adds much to the forum. It would take me just as long to do what you are doing, assuming I had the ability to do it at all. lol

:agree:

Keep the updates coming.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
:agree:

Keep the updates coming.

Absolutely!

Pure art from the heart.

Blue Moose

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Chandler,Arizona.

+1. We are all privileged that you show us what you are doing inside your shop. This is stuff NO-BODY is doing and it is really cool. You can't stop now. I look forward to your updates and hope to see it someday!

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
I see that you and mullet went to the same class for encouraging friends at finishing school. I just don't have the budget to throw another $60k at the car to make it happen now! All I have is pride in the work and hopes for the results. This about the only forum I post the details on. I just figured the techs here would enjoy the new approach to an old question. I'll just hold off an new stuff until the project is complete. That way nobody has to suffer thru this insidiously long build thread.

On another note, here is the newly designed intake plenum on the 5L Whipple. Fish got the machine lines to match up perfectly. Every looks like it was made to bolt up next to everything else. Nice work Shawn!

Looks Good Mark!!!!! do you know by chance how big are the openings at the intake there?

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL

Absolutely Fubar. I wasn't complaining, just some encouragement and a little impatience on my part to see the final product. I really enjoy seeing what you are doing and can't wait to see it in operation.

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
Yes Mark keep posting the progress as you have been doing