Mark II Lifetime
Wow :eek

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
How are you going to see the cars with the lights on the roof in you rear view mirror?
You know what Enzo said regarding the things behind you...

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I am reluctantly posting a few images. I really wanted to wait until I had this thing done. I know this taking forever (believe me, I know) but I am not blessed with a limitless budget and sometimes my toy project have to take a back seat to more important things. It is getting very close, I was hoping for a January completion but I think thats going to be a bit to optimistic... close tho, very close.

Attachments

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
You know what Enzo said regarding the things behind you...
No I don't, but he didn't have to worry about the LEO in CA, or TX or Mexico in Fubar's case.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Some of those images are old. It's a bit further along than those pix would indicate (but not much further).

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Why half-ass it, when you can over do it?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I looked it up.

What’s behind you doesn’t matter. – Enzo Ferrari

Now that only applies on the race track.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Man, Fubar, are you ever going to finish this car or is it going to be one of those never ending projects? How many years has it been now -- over a decade? Have the pistons, rods, and crank rusted together waiting for all these mods to be completed?

Been looking forward to it's completion for a long, long, long time. At this rate, I'll probably be in my grave and the headstone disintegrated before it's completed.
I see that you and mullet went to the same class for encouraging friends at finishing school. I just don't have the budget to throw another $60k at the car to make it happen now! All I have is pride in the work and hopes for the results. This about the only forum I post the details on. I just figured the techs here would enjoy the new approach to an old question. I'll just hold off an new stuff until the project is complete. That way nobody has to suffer thru this insidiously long build thread.

On another note, here is the newly designed intake plenum on the 5L Whipple. Fish got the machine lines to match up perfectly. Every looks like it was made to bolt up next to everything else. Nice work Shawn!

Attachments

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
When we are done, this motor will be the same build that John would recommend for 1500+hp TT applications. The 4.0L Whipple won't be able to supply enough air to hit my target of 1000 rwhp on pump gas but we should get pretty close. On E85, I should be able to get north of 1200 ... and then we will setup a 275 pill for nasty little TT cars that go to fast for their own good. :) -that's the plan now.

Last edited:

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Mark, would you bring your spray can over to my place?
I have a car that needs paint....
Great job!

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Where the coolant bleed spots are in the intake on the GT are still the highest spot on the motor, besides the 90 degree hoses that go to thermostat housing. You must be going to do an aluminum 90 (LIKE GT500) and put a fitting on top of that to get it higher than how the hoses adapt to intake? The only thing I don't like is the fact that they did not do a x over at the back of the motor like they do on the GT500's. The reason they have it like that on the Gt500's is because that rear x-over feeds the heater core. The 03-04 cobra mustangs had problems with cylinder 7 and 8 gettin hot's so there were a few companies that made kits to knock the freeze plug out at the the back of the head on the drivers side and bypass coolant out of there to get rid of the air pockets. The Ford GT's and the GT500's do NOT have the same problem as the 03-4 cobras did. I think it is a good idea though to add the bleaders to freeze plugs by the back intake ports and I am suprised ford did not do it on the GT. (Again none have burned up from this as with 550up hp on the cobras and it was a problem) I am doing bleeders in both of the back freeze plugs on both of the builds im doing, I will return the water in to the coolant fill tank. Will I gain anything from it idk?
Glad to see that you agree that this needs to be addressed too. I was wondering why nobody has mentioned this before. It seems like a relatively inexpensive solution. I don't think it will add any power but if it helps even out the heat in the motor then it will be worth the effort. I am wondering if any of these cars see heat buildup issues at the track because air would tend to float past the bleeder and collect in larger and larger pockets throughout the motor. I was thinking about adding a full exit hose at the back but a small bleeder would probably have the same end effect.

Also are you doing a phenolic spacer under the blower? I feel no matter what the intake is always going to be as hot as the engine temp. The blower actually gets hotter than the motor (300+ DEGREE air coming out of blower) and when the air bounces off the innercooler (also the inner cooler is a restriction of boost as hot air compress's to cold threw core) the restricted hot air before the innercooler will heat soak the intake as the air its being forced threw the I/c. There is no way to fix this xcept for cooling the air before it hits the I/C
I wasn't planing on it. My thoughts were that the IC could adequately remove the heat from air compression under normal driving and for short bursts. I am going to increase the size of the intercooler tank for longer pulls (like the mile). These phenolic spacers will basically keep engine heat from getting into the IC during normal driving. Then when it goes in to boost the IC will hopefully last a little longer. It may be a waste of time but I hope not.

Nice builld Mark can't wait to c how it turn's out:)
Thanks for input. Your thoughts on any of these ideas are greatly appreciated. More information is always a good thing.

Last edited:

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Too much is never enough!

Reactions: Ed Sims and 2112

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Ill be going down this morning, Im on east coast time still, so ready to go (but its still dark out here)

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
That's disgustingly purrrrrrrrrdy!

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Are the upstream injectors always methanol? (Or did I miss that).
The upstream injectors where originally designed to use the engine fuel. There was some concern about 'flash back' thru the intercooler but we actually address that what-if possibility with large burst plates to relieve pressure in the off chance that we had that happen. Then we thought, why not just use water? straight out of that 10 gallon tank? I liked that idea more. Honestly tho, we hope we never have to turn those things on... they are strictly for extreme conditions, and only when all of the blow-off valves are open.

I am glad to see this car is finally running but holy moly do you have some patience........
Not really... I just have had many many tantrums but I am not gonna lie, I do love this stuff almost as much as driving the GT.

Will this car be running the Mile?
Oh yes, for sure, no doubt. The date of it's mile run is really the big question.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Oh yeah, the clamshell wasn't ever an issue. The rear window glass (drivers compartment) was a much tighter issue. Whipple wanted an 1" so you could get a tool in there to change the pully. All we have is 1" of clearance there but the engine torques backward so that isn't a big deal from a working stand point. It just means you will have to lift the SC to change the pully but how many times does anyone swap their pully, really?

The SC is polished in these pix but it will be painted with a crinkle coat black when its installed. It should all be very low bling, very Big Bang!

Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Wait a minute here, that looks like a blue car and NOT a fugitive recovery vehicle.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Fubar, they are just giving you some good natured ribbing. Please continue to post about your progress. The project is very interesting and adds much to the forum. It would take me just as long to do what you are doing, assuming I had the ability to do it at all. lol

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
:eek:eek:eek :willy:willy:willy

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
here is a pic of a 2.3L Whipple on my 503 CI BIG Block Chevy muscle boat motor. it only took 7 psi to make 700 HP and 800 tq on the dyno....

Attachments