Fubar's GT Build

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I'm just going to start putting everything into one huge cluster-cuss of a thread. (And because Syco GT completely hijacked my last attempt - which he is welcome to do again with more revealing material).

John at Accufab has the motor. He is doing his usual badass motor build job. I asked him to send pictures when he gets to that phase and I will post them here. For his part, the motor will be:

J&E Pistons 10:1
Competition cams (Non-Floaty camshaft)
Competition valve job
CnC heads and lower intake
Billet Crank/Keyway/Balancer
Cooper head gasket
Assorted array of upgraded motor goodies

Maybe you guys have seen the fuel system thread. That was basically a prep-stage for this
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/s...Fuel-System-(lots-of-pix-not-dialup-friendly)

The heat shields, which made a huge difference in the engine bay temps (-120 -150)
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?20927-New-Heat-Shields

They were required to contain the awesomeness of the headers.

The GT Guys new air intake system will be utilized (rated for a 1000hp and it will be maxed on this application)

My boy Fish will be working his MoTec Magic with an M800 and an ignition system by M&W. This will give me solid spark at higher RPMs and TRACTION CONTROL (praise God). I also let Fish talk me into a Carbon/Titanium clutch $$$ but is weight at least 30lbs less than the Stillen (no idea about stock). 30lbs!! That's huge rotating mass numbers. We are also going to add some phenolic spacers between the intake and head. Combined with rerouting the engine coolant out of the intake manifold, it should have a pretty good affect on intake temps.

Pix forthcoming

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Here are a couple of picture of the Carbon Clutch

Clutch1.jpg
Clutch5.jpg

Here are a couple with the new housing next to the old clutch and flywheel. We will probably keep the steel flywheel for assisted momentum purposes.

Clutch3.jpg
Clutch4.jpg

Attachments

• Clutch2.jpg
    Clutch2.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 4,588

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Wow five plates vs. 2 on the OEM clutch! Can't wait to here how that clutch performs for you.

How is you instrument panel driven? From the Motec, or the OEM ECU?

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Intake spacers

Intake2.jpg

There were some very strange things going on with the way coolant flowed thru the GT motor. I was left just scratching my head. The exit ports on the front of the motor have small ports for steam to escape but the are not mounted at a high point in the system, like on the GT500. You'll notice the smaller ports (below the red caps) are the gas escape ports. Completely useless in that location. It is no wonder that GTs are often found more air in the coolant system.

Intake3.jpg

To me they can not be effective unless there is a very substatial buildup of gas in the coolant system. Secondly, the rear exit ports are completely plugged. This means that the coolant must migrate from the back to the front and it just doesn't seem like it would flow in an even manner, leaving the back of the block significantly hotter than the front. I should be able to address both of these problems to my satisfaction when we put the motor back together but it still leaves me wondering 'why?'

Attachments

• Intake1.jpg
    Intake1.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 4,470
  • Intake4.jpg
    Intake4.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 4,482
  • Intake5.jpg
    Intake5.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 4,493

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Nice "hand" pics - :thumbsup

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
very cool project!! It about time the forum got back to its roots!! thanks for posting mark, this is the kind of stuff I love to see here!!! and I cant wait to hear her run and see her for myself!!! this one is gona be one bad sc MFF :)

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
That new clutch set up is awesome... removing 30 pounds of rotational mass is just monsterous.

That alone should make a good difference in overall performance, although the roll out (from a stop) may
suffer a bit.

I switched (from steel) to an aluminum flywheel on my mustang and I hate it. Next clutch change, I'm going back
to a steel one. (of course my Mustang has about 750 less HP than your FGT will eventually have so it might not
be as big of an issue) and once the clutch is locked up, it does just fine, but on a low power street car like mine, that rotational
momentum stored by/in the flywheel is vital.

Cool project... keep us posted.

mardyn

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Awesome project, Fubar!!!

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Cool Beans!

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
What's the ultimate goal Mark?

Reactions: Ed Sims

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Wow five plates vs. 2 on the OEM clutch! Can't wait to here how that clutch performs for you.

How is you instrument panel driven? From the Motec, or the OEM ECU?

I am going to use the new instrument cluster by speedhut but it will run on the old system. Fish has tried to talk me into the MoTeC dash but I don’t want to change the look of the interior of the car. It is one of my favorite components. I have already run the wires for an O2 sensor in the dash and a 30lbs boost gauge. I may need to run new lines for the tach if we spin this thing past 8k rpm. Speedhut make a 9k tach that will fit, it just won’t run on the OEM harness. Hell, I may need a new speedo too, I wonder if they make a 260mph speedo? lol

This is going to be nuts.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
What's the ultimate goal Mark?

Turbo power, supercharger powerband… when finished I want 1000+ hp on pump gas and 220 at the mile on whatever fuel.

Honestly, I ‘ve wanted to do a MoTeC for a while. It has just worked out so that I can do several things here at the same time. I should be interesting to see how ‘behaved’ this car is when completed. I think it will be a blast at any speed, unless the clutch weight reduction makes idling a problem. Hopefully the MoTeC can compensate for that. I also have plan to follow Soroush into the N2O realm, unless the car makes everything I want without it. Except for the waiting… I’m having a blast. I love this motor stuff so it’s not painful for me when we have technical problems. I like solving them.

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Turbo power, supercharger powerband… when finished I want 1000+ hp on pump gas and 220 at the mile on whatever fuel...

I also have plan to follow Soroush into the N2O realm, unless the car makes everything I want without it...

Sounds like spray low, pray high? :willy

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Can you tell again where the steam ports that are too low are? In the pics with the Phenolic spacers on the GT500 motor, are we talking about the tubes at the end of the heads that sweep up to the phenolic spacer up top?

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Can you tell again where the steam ports that are too low are? In the pics with the Phenolic spacers on the GT500 motor, are we talking about the tubes at the end of the heads that sweep up to the phenolic spacer up top?
I’m sure that it wasn’t clear… it’s hard for me to explain this stuff without pointing to parts and using my hands. That’s why I typically do posts with lots of pictures.

Here is a standard GT500 intake manifold. You can see the highlighted sections are the coolant exit ports. The ports have a high side spout that allows any bubbles to float thru the engine block to the highest point where they can be dealt with.
mustangIntake.jpg

Our GTs intake manifold have these steam ports but they exit mid-stream. There is no special ‘catch' inside the manifold (that I can see). Hence, I can’t imagine how they are effective at all.
Intake6.jpg

I do not have a degree in fluid dynamics so maybe someone else can chime in here and enlighten me.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Thank you. Did you say you are going to move these steam ports higher?

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Our intakes also have a strange logic of coolant flow, where the rear coolant exit ports are blocked. The coolant must find it way from the backside of the intake manifold to the front exits. Unless there is a fluid flow strategy inside the manifold, this would create warm/hot pockets at the rear of the intake and motor. It would be easy to open up these rear ports and plumb them back into the system. If I had enough money, I could get these things to take us to the moon.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Thank you. Did you say you are going to move these steam ports higher?

Well, I’m going to bypass the intake manifold. In doing so I will create new ports at that location. I will just design the new ports to have an appropriate strategy for catching any bubbles. The reason big manufacturers run coolant thru the intake manifold is to help with atomization of the fuel. This is only an issue when ambient air is COLD and with a supercharger, cold ambient air isn’t really that much of a factor. As you know, the cooler you can get the intake charge the more power you will make so I am doing a few things to keep heat out of this section. If the intercooler can do it’s job, then the whole intake should be cool to the touch at almost all times.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Well good luck. That's a hell of a project. I'll forward this to the homies at Ford. They'll be happy with it.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
One last thing; Cooper head gaskets? Did you mean Cometic MLS gaskets?