Forum Update

H

HHGT

You guys should all switch to Mozilla. It kicks butt over IE and hinders Google from collecting data on you. While im at it, iGoogle is criminal.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
You guys should all switch to Mozilla. It kicks butt over IE and hinders Google from collecting data on you. While im at it, iGoogle is criminal.

Don't forget it spell checks everything for you, no matter where you are. And it is free. :thumbsup

LarryS

GT Owner
Aug 6, 2008
Fremont, CA
I think the new look is terrible.

unfortunately, I agree.....Larry

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Saying "it's terrible" with no specific information on why it's terrible doesn't help in any way. There's plenty of stuff that can be changed (and I would be happy to do so with specific information), and plenty of stuff that is inherent to the software itself that can't be changed. Have you tried the other styles?

Maybe it's just me, but looking at vB 3.x.x, it already feels old and ghetto compared to vB 4. I wasn't sure about vB 4 when people started running it, but in a short period of time, I now find it vastly superior.

scode

Mar 28, 2006
Plymouth, MI
What do the different envelopes mean? Ex. orange open vs orange closed or blue open vs blue closed?

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
View attachment Forumpage.pdf

Dave, the only quirk I seem to see is the first posting of each page appears with a very rectangular aspect ratio (short text width and long text depth). See attached pdf file of what I see. Using IE v8

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Chip,

No I don't use AOL. I use IE. Whatever DBK did it seemed to remove some of the huge blank spaces I was seeing in each thread. Looks better to me now, but most threads have about 2 inches of empty space after folks post their comments (#84, 85). HHGT thread has about 4 inches after this thread #81 above and #86 has about 2.5 inches of blank space. Thread #83 only has about a half inch of blank space which seems like the correct amount to me.

Hope this helps,

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Dave, the only quirk I seem to see is the first posting of each page appears with a very rectangular aspect ratio (short text width and long text depth). See attached pdf file of what I see. Using IE v8

That's a bug in this patch level. Any better now? Inserted a temporary fix.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Whatever DBK did it seemed to remove some of the huge blank spaces I was seeing in each thread. Looks better to me now, but most threads have about 2 inches of empty space after folks post their comments (#84, 85). HHGT thread has about 4 inches after this thread #81 above and #86 has about 2.5 inches of blank space. Thread #83 only has about a half inch of blank space which seems like the correct amount to me.

How about now? Previously reported problem on other sites, inserted the prescribed fixes...

H

HHGT

Saying "it's terrible" with no specific information on why it's terrible doesn't help in any way. There's plenty of stuff that can be changed (and I would be happy to do so with specific information), and plenty of stuff that is inherent to the software itself that can't be changed. Have you tried the other styles?

Maybe it's just me, but looking at vB 3.x.x, it already feels old and ghetto compared to vB 4. I wasn't sure about vB 4 when people started running it, but in a short period of time, I now find it vastly superior.

In software you will never be able to satisfy everyone. Having said that, many of the issues you guys are commenting on are outside of Dave's control and are inherent features (or lack of) of VB. VB uses style sheets which may display inconsistencies with respect to spaces after posted text. For example, if one uses a picture under their handle, then VB provisions for that space and it appears there is a lot of wasted space. To demonstrate what I am talking about, go to the following software manufacturer's web site and you'll see many of the same issues: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/search.php?searchid=3610512

The other way to use VB is to implement an external .CSS file so any user can create their customized templates, look & feel etc. but that mandates some level of programmatic experience.

As Dave suggested, the best thing to do is provide suggestions that Dave can find an easy way to implement. For me personally, the color and size of the font against the background is not easy on the eyes. I know I can increase the font size within the browser, but that unfortunately messes up the page. Just remember, in software you will never be able to satisfy everyone.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
That's a bug in this patch level. Any better now? Inserted a temporary fix.

Yep, your patch worked.
Looks fine now. Thanks for the quick work!

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
On my iPhone/Safari, the thread title/headers are about 1/3 the size of who started the thread and the time the thread was started. The title/header is also washed out in comparison as well.

Basically, it is difficult to determine the thread topic.

H

HHGT

I'll bet the iPhone does not support style sheets, mostly because they're microsoft invented.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
DBK: Currently Active Users - only displays about 10 names and then runs off the page.