Ford no sell agreement

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I agree 100%. But, this is a $500k car - one of the most expensive new cars you can buy. Even a few of the most enthusiastic FGT enthusiasts that will have trouble paying for the car or turning down some crazy offer at C&C.

$5k, $50k, $500k, $5 mil. Doesn't matter. Either your word means something or it doesn't. Ford said they would identify serious enthusiasts to own the car. They held up their end through a difficult and byzantine process.

avant

GT Owner
Apr 22, 2007
calgary, canada
I (happily) signed a 2-year no-sale agreement on my 2005 Ford GT. I also got to order it to my specs, pick my dealer, and know it was not going to be marked up by the dealer. Ordered in May of 2005 and picked up August 23rd, 2005.

But only 120-some people got that deal for the 2005-2006 model. Now everyone (who got a NFGT allocation) is using this process.

I wonder why Ford ended the policy on 05-06 GT's? Did it potentially negatively affect sales?

rsstopper

GT Owner
Oct 9, 2006
Arizona
I wonder why Ford ended the policy on 05-06 GT's? Did it potentially negatively affect sales?

I signed one... still have it 12 years later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
I was part of the Ford Motor Executive Program. At that time I was a Ford Executive. I retired a year later, after a 35 year career with Ford, and told folks this was my Retirement gift.!
We were allowed to specifically order our car, (it was a short, one page form that we filled out by hand and faxed to Ford Sales and Marketing . There were only 4 options !! I still have my copy in the archives.
We picked our color, options, Dealer to take delivery and the price was established by Ford Motor Co. We did sign the agreement that we would not sell for 2 years. (Ford learned a hard lesson on the 2001 T-Bird executive program which I will not bore you with here)

I also asked Greg Smith, Neil Ressler and Jim Padilla at the time , If I could watch my car being built. They gave that assignment to our Good Friend Fred Goodnow . Fred was, and is even now, a prime example of an Outstanding Ford Ambassador. ! Even being right in the middle of the 2005 - 2006 vehicle build program, Fred spent a full day with me at the Saleen Plant on 15 mile in Troy and then another full day with me at the Wixom Plant when the car arrived for final build.
(Rich Roback and team may have even built it! I do not know that )
Great memories ..........11 years ago... Just looked at the car in my garage... BIG SMILE! :):):)
andy (ajb)

OTG

GT Owner
Sep 30, 2009
$5k, $50k, $500k, $5 mil. Doesn't matter. Either your word means something or it doesn't. Ford said they would identify serious enthusiasts to own the car. They held up their end through a difficult and byzantine process.

Like I said before, I agree that owners should honor their word. But, what if your wife unexpectedly had triplets or you got a divorce or you lost your job or your 20 unit rental was condemned?? I'm just saying that the call from Ford for their $225k DP (let alone the last $225k) will not be a Cristal-popping occasion for every single one of the lucky guys picked - life happens.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Why would anyone want to sell?????

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Like I said before, I agree that owners should honor their word. But, what if your wife unexpectedly had triplets or you got a divorce or you lost your job or your 20 unit rental was condemned?? I'm just saying that the call from Ford for their $225k DP (let alone the last $225k) will not be a Cristal-popping occasion for every single one of the lucky guys picked - life happens.

Sure, but if circumstances dictate, just pass on the car. That's different than flipping it, which I think is where we started.

Joe Dozzo

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2006
Canon City, CO
Celebrities have dificulties keeping a car for so long and they probably know a lawyer or two to make them a private contract but who cares, maybe it ends up in the hands of a more hardcore FGT enthusiast. Personally, I wish Ford would make 4038 of them so we can all enjoy them, hell, the way things are going, try and build them all this year !

AMEN!!!!

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Mine might be up for sale,,, around 2050 !! :biggrin

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 14, 2005
south FL
I'm not sure how the contract is structured. So will you get your deposit back? Perhaps, minus some expenses Ford incurred?
I'm sure a home for this car would be easily found, and any financial hit would be nil.

And then there's this. Would you buy from someone prior to the time restriction having passed? I don't think I could.

Sure, but if circumstances dictate, just pass on the car. That's different than flipping it, which I think is where we started.

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
Just hoping for last year of production or secondary market (if not stupid pricing)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

avant

GT Owner
Apr 22, 2007
calgary, canada

I have no intention of selling NFGT or old GT. I had heard about agreement by rumour and just wanted to confirm it here.

KennethClay

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 15, 2012
New York
...hell, the way things are going, try and build them all this year !

I wish they could, but they can only produce about 1 carbon fiber tub per day. So....250 cars per year. At least the anticipation and planning is part of the "fun"!

KennethClay

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 15, 2012
New York
Why would anyone want to sell?????

Exactly. Even without the restriction. If you sold, then you wouldn't have one anymore!

mccarter1369

Ford Enthusiast
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 18, 2006
Denver, CO
As grateful as I am to have been selected from the priority waitlist, it is unimaginable that I would want to part with the car due to a quick financial gain situation. I had an opportunity when I was much younger and during a purchase of a 1967 GT 500 to make a fast $20K, before I had even picked it up but after I had placed a deposit. At the time, I had borrowed money to purchase the car, so $20K was all the money in the world to me; but it really had been a childhood dream to own one. My wife made sure I "really wanted it" as we could have used the money at that time. I took my first born son home from the hospital in that car and I have the photo on my desk. I am fortunate enough to say I still own it today. I understand the notion that if a financial disaster occurred and that forced you to liquidate, but as mentioned, that is not the concept where this thread sprung from. Many worthy individuals had to be passed over due to the very limited production capability. I hope, as unrealistic as it would be, that if someone chosen did not love this car or would be just as happy with a competitor, then they would allow their allocation to be re-entered into the pool. My father pressed fenders for Ford for nearly 40 years and I am fortunate to own some great Ford automobiles, but short of my family being kicked out on the street, I will never part with my 2006 Heritage and I feel the same way about the NFGT. Very grateful and I very much feel the responsibility of getting out and exposing the NFGT to as many people as I can to showcase what this great company has accomplished.https://pix.sfly.com/EBynir

Attachments

• Owen.jpg
    Owen.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 376

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
"And then there's this. Would you buy from someone prior to the time restriction having passed? I don't think I could."
No, but you can be damn sure a lot of "high end dealers" (many of whom have questionable reputations) would be glad to take one off your hands to unload it for a quick & sizable profit to some far corner of the earth. If 2 year old LaFs, P1s & 918s have already doubled or tripled, I imagine the new FGT won't be far behind in potential % appreciation.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Gentlemen,

As I get older with a lot more of my days in the rear view mirror than in my windshield I'm more focused on what I really want to do. Ford GTs and their owners have been a big part of my life for over a decade now and acquiring this new GT has been an obsessive pursuit since the day it was announced. I operate two gas stations for a living and coughing up over half a million dollars for a car isn't trivial for this old man. Still, if I was offered a million dollars for my GT the decision would be easy. No thanks. Hell, if the new GT had an MSRP of a million dollars I'd still figure out a way to buy and pay for it. Let's roll.

Chip

Last edited:

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
Well said as always Chip!

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
If I knew the person who sold within 2 years I could not be around them. Like DBK says: What is your word worth? They would be a lying loser & I wouldn't want to be with them.

Ed

BAT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 11, 2012
Central Mitten
Also, it is almost a given that a few will just bubble wrap the thing and sell it down the road. Just the way it is.