Ford GT Track Brake Kit

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Well, after talking to owners coming from VIR and the Texas Mile, most of the conversations evolve around adding HP, but increasingly, there is more discussion about brake solutions for the GT. It appears that more than one owner has noticed hairline cracking of the OEM cross-drilled rotors after multiple mile events and a few people have asked us what is a good set-up for the GT.

When I spoke to Apollo (Terry) about braking alternatives, he referenced a very enlightening discussion he had with our own rocketman who, as everyone knows, is a very fast and very experienced track driver. Ron (rocketman) and I had a chance to catch up last week and he was kind enough to share his experience as well as a solution that he believes is a VERY good solution for the track - without breaking the bank.

It seems that rocketman experienced the limitations of the OEM GT brakes when on a particular roadcourse, he could only get 5-6 hot laps in before the front brakes would overheat and force him to come into the pits until the brakes cooled. Now the good news is that the rear calipers and rotors held up just fine which stands to reason as the majority of the braking is going to be done by the front of the car (despite a *static* slight rear weigth bias). Indeed, the same Brembo 4-piston caliper at the front of the car is also used in the rear. (Hardware complements of the Aston Martin parts bin, by the way.)

At the front of the car, those large 4-piston Brembo calipers are also up to the task but the Achillies' heel is, in fact, the front rotor. Luckily, there is a good solution... and it is comprised of upgrading 3 "components" of the braking system namely; 1) the front rotors; 2) brake pads; 3) high-grade brake fluid.

It seems that brake fluid is a little bit like motor oil with everyone having their own experiences and preferences. All will agree that what is needed is a high quality, high boiling point, Dot4 fluid. To help with the rotors and pads, we've assembled a kit comprised of (2) Brembo slotted, 2-piece, aluminum hat rotors as well as Pagid pads for both the front and rear of the car.

I'll let rocketman chime in if he wants but this is the set-up that he is personally using and having very good results with. Unfortunately, buying and installing this kit will not make you as fast on the track as rocketman, but it will help to insure that you can spend more time on the track practicing to increase the intervals at which rocketman laps you. :eek

Those of you thinking about more mile events - and certainly those of you thinking to put your car on the track in Utah in August, might want to give this or one of the other brake upgrade alternatives some consideration.

Track Brake Kit

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Thanks for the kind words .
My approach is to start a the least expensive end and work upwards .
The system has worked flawlessly for me .
I must say however ,I was very impressed by Stormcats carbon set up .But I 'll reserve judgement till Brian lets me drive his car on the track!!!HINT ,HINT !!!
Its also big bucks compared to my set up .
I would also recommend making your brake ducts functional. This is also a big help in keeping you rotors cooler.
This is what I did.
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?14885-GT-brake-ducts&highlight=brake+ducting
Remember ,brakes only slow you down!!

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2006
I must say however ,I was very impressed by Stormcats carbon set up .But I 'll reserve judgement till Brian lets me drive his car on the track!!!HINT ,HINT !!!
I would also recommend making your brake ducts functional. This is also a big help in keeping you rotors cooler.
This is what I did.
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?14885-GT-brake-ducts&highlight=brake+ducting

This is wonderful to read as Mullet, Torrie, Fubar, and others have had like results.

I worked back and forth with brembo on this setup a couple years ago and also feel that it is a great price point solution for many however there are other more complex systems such as the cool composite system that Brian aka STORMCAT has created, the 6 piston setup by brembo that requires larger diameter wheels, and the AP Racing setup as offered by Stillen.

These brembo 2 piece rotors allow for the use of the OEM wheels and are able to be serviced where as the Ford Racing rotors are not and furthermore the Ford Racing rotors are a much softer rotor material.

Thank you for creating this thread Kendall aka nota4re

Takes care

Shadowman

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
This is what I did.

There is a reason the CC brakes are the only thing available on an F car.. I wish you could have taken her for a spin at VIR. The keys are yours next time you're around ,, I think you'll be impressed... :biggrin

dbackg

dbackg
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2009
Tempe, AZ
Here are the four brake posts for reference.

1. Brake Rotor and pad options for stopping from 200+
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/s...e-Rotor-and-pad-options-for-stopping-from-200

2. Brakes
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?5490-Brakes

3. Rotors and pads
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?16248-Rotors-and-pads&highlight=brembo

4. Shadowman's AP/Stillen Brake Evaluation
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?15331-Shadowman-s-AP-Stillen-Brake-Evaluation

Note:
According to FRPP catalog,
the FRONT two-piece rotor set, M-1125-GT, weighs 22.1 LBS each, 355 mm/14 inch diameter
the REAR two-piece rotor set, M-2026-GT, weighs 20.05 LBS each, 330 mm/13 inch diameter

Shadowman's numbers:

OEM aka Brembo

Caliper 10 lbs each
Rotors
Front 25 lbs each
rear 22 lbs each

Ford Racing aka Brembo

Calipers 10 lbs each
Rotors
Front 23 lbs each
Rear 20 lbs each

AP Racing

Calipers 11 lbs each
Rotors
Front 20 lbs each
Rear 23 lbs each

Brake fluid post: Is This The Correct Brake Fluid?
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?16226-Is-This-The-Correct-Brake-Fluid

Last edited:

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
Nice setup. I would imagine the rotors are lighter than stock due to the aluminum hats. If so, any measurements?

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Nice setup. I would imagine the rotors are lighter than stock due to the aluminum hats. If so, any measurements?

OEM Fronts are about 24lbs and the Brembo's are about 20lbs.

Chris A.

GT #32
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2007
Ortega Mountain, CA
Very cool....I'm looking to do something that doesn't cost $10K

Is this the same solution as this? http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?16248-Rotors-and-pads&highlight=brembo

or something new?

We should have a "sticky" for all the brake systems

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Very cool....I'm looking to do something that doesn't cost $10K

Is this the same solution as this? http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/sh...ghlight=brembo

The kit that we put together includes THE Brembo 2-piece slotted aluminum hat rotor for the GT. Keep in mind that to get a good, capable braking system you really need to have GOOD pads that work well with the given rotors. Just in Pagid's line-up, there is a multitude of pads to choose from and they will each yield different results. The cool thing here is that we have the opportunity to "go to school" on rocketman's results. It's concievable that you could run a pad with this brake kit that you could end up hating. We put the kit together to avoid this.

There are at least a couple of other VERY good big brake kits for the GT. Stillen's AP Racing Big Brake kit is very good and includes calipers and rotors, but at a significantly different price point. Brian's soon-to-be-available CC system looks to be like an incredible set-up (I'm still drooling) but again at a different price point than we are talking here.

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
FWIW I can confirm the rear stock rotors will last a long time. I have at least 45 1 Mile runs and other spirted driving on mine. Zero cracks.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Moderators Note

Gentlemen,

The tone this thread has taken on is unacceptable and I've deleted 8 posts. If one of our vendors wants to offer an item or package of items for sale, they are free to do so and obviously, such advertising is the reason they spent the money to be a GT Forum vendor. The fact that somebody else may have offered that item for sale before, unless that prior vendor/individual has a contractual agreement with the maker of that item that gives them exclusive rights to sell it, is irrelevant. We have at least four vendors on this site that sell an identical rear bumper delete, identical Penske shock absorbers, identical exhaust systems, and I could go on. We have members in all 50 States and we are fortunate to have vendors all across the country. I have traveled all the way to Florida from Arizona to have work done on my car by a GT Forum sponsoring vendor and I have, on multiple occasions, flown the GT Guys all the way out to Arizona from Michigan. But such long-distance patronage is not always possible and convenient location is a big plus in any business transaction. When a vendor offers an item for sale and lists a price, members have the option of purchasing or not. If you want to comment on your experience with the products offered for sale, that's cool. But if you want to comment about the price, demand that a vendor compare his price with someone else's price, or offer unsolicited advice on how someone else should operate their business, that thread will quickly devolve into a pissing match of claims and counterclaims.

Any information you wish to share on this Forum can be divulged in the first person. "I like product X and here's the reasons" will tell us everything we need to know.

"Here's what I suggest you do", "You are wrong", or "You need to", convey nothing but divisiveness.

As regards products offered for sale, Penske coilovers are not "Alex's", Classic's bumper delete is not "The GT Guy's", and Brembo brake parts are not "Shadowman's". They are generic products offered by several vendors. I am a customer of Shadowman's, of CoolTech, of the GT Guys, of T&A Shocks, and a bunch of other Forum vendors. I and most of our Members go out of their way to patronize them. Derogatory or divisive comments which generally include any second person remarks are counterproductive. The vast majority of individuals who attempt to become forum sponsors are turned down. DBK has been very selective and we have a quality group of sponsors who perform excellent work and offer proven products.

My favorite DBK admonition, delivered to me in a PM after he deleted one of my posts sums up all the above in just two words.......BE NICE.

Chip Beck

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2006
Gentlemen,

The tone this thread has taken on is unacceptable and I've deleted 8 posts. If one of our vendors wants to offer an item or package of items for sale, they are free to do so and obviously, such advertising is the reason they spent the money to be a GT Forum vendor. The fact that somebody else may have offered that item for sale before, unless that prior vendor/individual has a contractual agreement with the maker of that item that gives them exclusive rights to sell it, is irrelevant. We have at least four vendors on this site that sell an identical rear bumper delete, identical Penske shock absorbers, identical exhaust systems, and I could go on. We have members in all 50 States and we are fortunate to have vendors all across the country. I have traveled all the way to Florida from Arizona to have work done on my car by a GT Forum sponsoring vendor and I have, on multiple occasions, flown the GT Guys all the way out to Arizona from Michigan. But such long-distance patronage is not always possible and convenient location is a big plus in any business transaction. When a vendor offers an item for sale and lists a price, members have the option of purchasing or not. If you want to comment on your experience with the products offered for sale, that's cool. But if you want to comment about the price, demand that a vendor compare his price with someone else's price, or offer unsolicited advice on how someone else should operate their business, that thread will quickly devolve into a pissing match of claims and counterclaims.

Any information you wish to share on this Forum can be divulged in the first person. "I like product X and here's the reasons" will tell us everything we need to know.

"Here's what I suggest you do", "You are wrong", or "You need to", convey nothing but divisiveness.

As regards products offered for sale, Penske coilovers are not "Alex's", Classic's bumper delete is not "The GT Guy's", and Brembo brake parts are not "Shadowman's". They are generic products offered by several vendors. I am a customer of Shadowman's, of CoolTech, of the GT Guys, of T&A Shocks, and a bunch of other Forum vendors. I and most of our Members go out of their way to patronize them. Derogatory or divisive comments which generally include any second person remarks are counterproductive. The vast majority of individuals who attempt to become forum sponsors are turned down. DBK has been very selective and we have a quality group of sponsors who perform excellent work and offer proven products. My favorite DBK admonition, delivered to me in a PM after he deleted one of my posts sums up all the above in just two words.......BE NICE.

Chip Beck

Well stated with "be nice" being a strong point

Thank you

Shadowman

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Nice job Chip .
Couldn't agree more
Roketman

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Yeah, yeah, you can be nice or you can be RIGHT!

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I think the price Cooltech is asking is very reasonable.The pagids are not cheap, nor the rotors.
A nice deal in my book!

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Several of us Forum members are hanging out and strolling through SEMA together. One of our longer stops was at the Brembo booth where we had a relatively long meeting with their engineers regarding the brakes for the GT. Really, the main topic was what alternatives exist for the rear of the car as currently Brembo does not offer a 2-piece rotor solution for the rear axle. It seems that with the added complexity of the emergency brake caliper combined with a relatively low projected sales volume, there will be nothing in the works from Brembo with the stock caliper. One of the engineers was very intimate with the design of the GT rotors and especially of the go-to-market exercise regarding the front two-piece rotor that we advertised in Post #1 of this thread. This engineer reminded us that the OEM calipers AND rotors were of a Brembo design to Ford specifications. When they looked at making a two-piece rotor available for the front of the GT, they knew with the retention of the "smallish" front OEM wheel they would use the OEM caliper and the same diameter rotor. So, with the same caliper and unaltered mounting location, the dimensional aspects of a two-piece rotor were fixed. With their files from designing/producing the OEM rotor, it was an easy process to move forward. That is the process that got us to have a Ford GT front 2-piece rotor - which is, by the way, listed in both their on-line and printed catalogs. There should be no mystery about these rotors, or their go-to-market process.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
My opinion - I love the Stillen/AP brake set up fpr the GT. Phenomenal stopping power & resistance to fade. They last forever also.

Ed

PS They also look wild since they totally fill up the inside of the wheels!

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI
Kendall, I understand you've completed the new rotors and pads install on my gal. Please post photos when you're able.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
My opinion - I love the Stillen/AP brake set up fpr the GT. Phenomenal stopping power & resistance to fade.

Ed, agreed... the Stillen AP Racing set-up is very nice. Do you know what pads you are running and if they are the pads that come with the kit or did you spec other pads?

Aug 25, 2006
Ed, agreed... the Stillen AP Racing set-up is very nice. Do you know what pads you are running and if they are the pads that come with the kit or did you spec other pads?

nota4re I answer this because Ed will ask me.

The pads being used are those as recommended and furnished with the system when I initially installed it.

They seem to work well hot or cold and only present a modest amount of dusting.

Takes care

Shadowman