Ford GT Outlook

B. West

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2012
Irvine, CA
The Ford GT was produced as a Halo car. There have been several vehicles in our fleet that are not high revenue generating I.e. the Ford Focus. We lost money on those cars for years but they were an important segment for us to be in relative to market share. The GT was never produced to be a high volume revenue generating car however, the exposure we garnered and still do to this day far exceeds any amount of maney we could have made on the Low production of the GT. This car is still very relevant in automotive discussions even today. The GT served it's purpose for bringing the focus back to Ford Motor Company as the manufacturer of some of the finest automobiles ever produced.

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
Are you quoting someone at Ford or are you part of Ford?

B. West

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2012
Irvine, CA
Are you quoting someone at Ford or are you part of Ford?

Part of Ford

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Part of Ford

If you were in any way involved in the decision to produce this wonderful automobile, THANK YOU.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Best tag line --

PACE CAR FOR AN ENTIRE COMPANY.

B. West

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2012
Irvine, CA
Part of Ford

If you were in any way involved in the decision to produce this wonderful automobile, THANK YOU.

No direct involvement with the decision to build but collectively, everyone within Ford was instrumental and supportive in the launch of this vehicle in the wake of our centennial anniversary. It was a great time to be a part of Ford and see these things arrive on dealer's showrooms.

pvgtX2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 16, 2012
Palos Verdes Estates, CA
Would it be fair to assume that if the FGT was in continuous production with a new model every several years......the value of the 2005-2006 model would never be where it currently is? I remember near the low point of Ford stock prices w government bailout, etc..reading from a few sources about the impossibility of ford EVER building another supercar (i.e. GT successor). Multiple different reasons were given including emissions standards changing, and perhaps most importantly the fact that given the considerable government bailout and future oversight, a model without reasonable profitability expectations would simply not be given the green light. Few people back then could have imagined ford to be as "healthy" in 2014 as it currently is, and to me the idea of another halo car down the road doesn't seem as far fetched as it did back then. We shall see.....since there are many different variables that will determine this.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Huh?!? Am I reading this wrong or do you think ford was bailed out by the government?

pvgtX2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 16, 2012
Palos Verdes Estates, CA
Huh? Am I reading this wrong or do you think ford was bailed out by the government?

Most people know that Ford was the only one of the big three not to receive direct government bailout funds. That said, I know you are well aware of Alan Mulally being in favor of the bill and asking the government for a credit line of 9 billion in case the economy worsened. In addition, Ford also received a 5.9 Billion dollar loan for retooling plants etc....

Similar to the lending institutions where collapse of some led to legislation affecting ALL, the assertion was that similar rules would apply to all car US manufacturers moving forward (could be an incorrect assumption as I stated in my earlier post).

http://www.factcheck.org/2011/09/ford-motor-co-does-u-turn-on-bailouts/

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Similar to the lending institutions where collapse of some led to legislation affecting ALL, the assertion was that similar rules would apply to all car US manufacturers moving forward (could be an incorrect assumption as I stated in my earlier post).

...perhaps most importantly the fact that given the considerable government bailout and future oversight, a model without reasonable profitability expectations would simply not be given the green light.

I guess I'd never seen it hypothesized anywhere that GM and Chrysler getting bailed out would somehow have led to the government having input on Ford's product planning decisions on the basis of their profitability. Especially true given that a vehicle like GM's Volt, which loses a considerable amount of money, exists precisely to placate government fuel economy mandates.

Anyways...

pvgtX2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 16, 2012
Palos Verdes Estates, CA
DBK- I know about a billionth of what you do about Ford and their product planning....so let me just ask...do you think there will ever be another supercar from ford?

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Sure, at some point. It's happened twice before in their history, and had things not gone south so badly in the years immediately after GT, there very well could have been GR-1s and modern Cobra Roadsters running around right now. The Director of Advanced Product Creation/SVT did a slide presentation at Rally 3 in 2008 of some of their development and analysis of those two cars. Neither was just a concept. I know I have the file somewhere and will ask if they care if I post it. It's a shame the GR-1 didn't get built on the basis of how good looking it was. Ultimately though, it's a good thing they didn't start building one of them because they probably would have been something close to unsellable in 2009.

Neil Ressler

Ford GT Team Alumni
Nov 24, 2009
Origin of the FGT

A lot of unexpected factors, many of which we could not have been anticipated, came into alignment in January, 2002 and which led to the FGT program. That the Centennial would occur in June, 2003 (and had a big budget) may have been the most significant of those factors but the huge, positive reception by the press and the public of the yellow show car at the 2002 Detroit International Auto Show was a close second. The chatter at the time was that it was "a great looking concept car but but Ford will never do anything with it". And, truth be told, there was a strong precedent for that view. Remember the GT 90!

Just after the show opened, with the FGT being selected as "Car of the Show" (or some such name), Bill Ford stopped me while I was in the office of the Chief Financial Officer ( I was already back consulting at Ford). He was responding to the public reaction and stories in the two Detroit newspapers. Bill said to me "I don't know whether we should do this car or not but lot of people seem to think we should. Would you have a look at and let me know what you think?" He only had two conditions. One was that we had to have a car for the Centennial, 18 months away, in June, 2003. The other was that I keep the main part of the Company out of the program. If goes without saying that the Ford team, led by Chris Theodore, could well have done everything I did, perhaps better, but Bill Ford wanted them not to be distracted from the business of designing the high volume new cars and trucks. The FGT had the potential to be a huge distraction. In any event, I came back to Bill a couple of months later with a recommendation to go ahead and, as the old saying goes, the rest is history.

Interestingly, the question of cost and profit did not come up in that first discussion, although Bill knew that it would receive a lot of attention later, if we decided to do the car. One of the most important issues to address in a low volume car is to keep the investment cost low. That is why we ended up pushing the cars from one station to the next at the Troy facility. The argument is that, with low investment levels, you can recover your costs through pricing. We had a lot of pressure, especially from Jackie Stewart and Niki Lauda, to price it much higher than the $150,000 we ended up with. Still a lot of money but better than $250,000 or $300,000. We wanted loyal Ford customers to be able to afford it.

I don't recall the final profitably numbers for the program but it wouldn't surprise me if it had a small accounted loss. The car made up for that, to the great joy of everyone who worked on the program and many others as well, in a lot of other ways.

You need a lot of things to come to your favor in a program like this, which is why they are so rare. I recall telling the FGT team at the program kick-off in May, 2002, that being chosen to work on the FGT would be the highlight of their career. All down hill after that!

It was really fun.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Well Neil ,
I want to thank you for your influence on getting my dream car built !It has really been a dream owning it!
Also thank you for the bargain of the century pricing too! Lauda and Stewart should be happy now.Cars are selling for those prices of 250-300!
Excellent post ! Thats what makes our forum so special!
My best regards ,Ron
PS Hope to see you at another rally! Bring Tom too!!!!

Last edited:

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
Fantastic post!

As acknowledged by all, we're fortunate to have these cars.

And just as fortunate to have access to their lineage and back room stories!!

Many thanks to all for making our car and forum happen!! :cheers

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
So ask Indy if Billl Ford signed his car like he signed mine.
Frank ,And mine is bigger than yours!

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
Well Neil ,
I want to thank you for your influence on getting my dream car built !It has really been a dream owning it!
Also thank you for the bargain of the century pricing too! Lauda and Stewart should be happy now.Cars are selling for those prices of 250-300!
Excellent post ! Thats what makes our forum so special!
My best regards ,Ron
PS Hope to see you at another rally! Bring Tom too!!!!
Exactly what he said!

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
A lot of unexpected factors, many of which we could not have been anticipated, came into alignment in January, 2002 and which led to the FGT program. That the Centennial would occur in June, 2003 (and had a big budget) may have been the most significant of those factors but the huge, positive reception by the press and the public of the yellow show car at the 2002 Detroit International Auto Show was a close second. The chatter at the time was that it was "a great looking concept car but but Ford will never do anything with it". And, truth be told, there was a strong precedent for that view. Remember the GT 90!

Just after the show opened, with the FGT being selected as "Car of the Show" (or some such name), Bill Ford stopped me while I was in the office of the Chief Financial Officer ( I was already back consulting at Ford). He was responding to the public reaction and stories in the two Detroit newspapers. Bill said to me "I don't know whether we should do this car or not but lot of people seem to think we should. Would you have a look at and let me know what you think?" He only had two conditions. One was that we had to have a car for the Centennial, 18 months away, in June, 2003. The other was that I keep the main part of the Company out of the program. If goes without saying that the Ford team, led by Chris Theodore, could well have done everything I did, perhaps better, but Bill Ford wanted them not to be distracted from the business of designing the high volume new cars and trucks. The FGT had the potential to be a huge distraction. In any event, I came back to Bill a couple of months later with a recommendation to go ahead and, as the old saying goes, the rest is history.

Interestingly, the question of cost and profit did not come up in that first discussion, although Bill knew that it would receive a lot of attention later, if we decided to do the car. One of the most important issues to address in a low volume car is to keep the investment cost low. That is why we ended up pushing the cars from one station to the next at the Troy facility. The argument is that, with low investment levels, you can recover your costs through pricing. We had a lot of pressure, especially from Jackie Stewart and Niki Lauda, to price it much higher than the $150,000 we ended up with. Still a lot of money but better than $250,000 or $300,000. We wanted loyal Ford customers to be able to afford it.

I don't recall the final profitably numbers for the program but it wouldn't surprise me if it had a small accounted loss. The car made up for that, to the great joy of everyone who worked on the program and many others as well, in a lot of other ways.

You need a lot of things to come to your favor in a program like this, which is why they are so rare. I recall telling the FGT team at the program kick-off in May, 2002, that being chosen to work on the FGT would be the highlight of their career. All down hill after that!

It was really fun.

Excellent!

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Most people know that Ford was the only one of the big three not to receive direct government bailout funds. That said, I know you are well aware of Alan Mulally being in favor of the bill and asking the government for a credit line of 9 billion in case the economy worsened. In addition, Ford also received a 5.9 Billion dollar loan for retooling plants etc....

http://www.factcheck.org/2011/09/ford-motor-co-does-u-turn-on-bailouts/

The $5.9B loan to Ford (that is being currently repaid w/interest) was offered by the Department of Energy as part of a $14B total package to enable OE's (and suppliers) in achieving the mandated future fuel economy standards. It was not part of the 'bailout' TARP program under which GM & Chrysler restructured.

What 'fact check' doesn't seem to appreciate is, 1) Ford was the only OE to avail itself of this DOE loan, and 2) the reason for that is (without spinning it) there was a requirement in the loan program that the recipient would be 'in financial good standing'. Given that Chrysler and GM at that time were essentially insolvant, they could not meet that same criteria and hence, could not be considered as viable applicants. Ford's rationale for borrowing the money can be understood simply as a business decision to take advantage of a DOE loan which offered a less expensive 'cost of money'. e.g. the basis point spread between prevailing market rates (no $$ available) and the rate and terms of offer were favorable to Ford.

Last edited:

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit

It was really fun.

Neil ~ Thank you for taking the time to share that insight!