Ford GT Outlook

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Haggerty conducted a forum on muscle car values at the Scottsdale B-J event. Posted below, the entire event lasts something like 1-1/2 hours. Informational, it covers of the recent run-up, down and resurgence of the market and some of the stars. But as a GT owner, I was interested whether or not the Ford GT would eventually come to discussion, Sure enough, in the Q&A session (fast forward to about 1:20) they finally hit on our car.

And although we have debated the hell out of Ford GT values here, I thought you might find the panels opinion of interest. Enjoy! :thumbsup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siv...=&utm_campaign=Hagerty Weekly News 01-22-2014

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
"Life's short" what an understatment.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Who was on the panel? In particular, who is the owner that's doing most of the talking? Forum member?

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
The panel members are introduced at the beginning. None of these folks are forum members, but one is a GT owner.

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
It defies all logic when it comes to resale! Ya!!

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Control arm bolts!

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Control arm bolts!

I think there was a TSB on those along with the muffler bearings.

pvgtX2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 16, 2012
Palos Verdes Estates, CA
Control arm bolts!

That ford gt owner likes to wear capri pants.
:facepalm:

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
I don't get it. Collectors don't understand GT prices; "they made to many"? I have collected many cars over the years and have done well with evaluations (Old ferraris and alfas, sold all the Ferraris with nice profits). Ford GT was collectible from day one!! (I argued the point 10 yrs ago with centerpunch before this forum). Only real american super car in last 50 yrs (You have to go back to original cobras otherwise, or maybe the viper but made way too many and still in production with each new version updated like modern ferraris).
Look ar Dinos, same production number, going for $300,000 today, same as daytonas that only 1100 were made and twice the performance! Why- Everyone wants a Dino because they are beautiful, sensuous cars. The GT is the same but quite the performer, and "only one" from american manufacturer. Prices are only going up!! The only thing that can hurt it is if they build another one. Hold on to them , will it to your children . I call it diversifying your portfolio!!

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Control arm bolts!

Spent the entire night searching for the damn Ford part number. :facepalm:

I want to get as many of these as I can afford, before the price goes up.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Interesting...thanks for posting.

I think that is the first time I've heard anyone say that Ford lost money on the GT. Although, it seems intuitively obvious that there is no way they could amortize investment over such a short production.

As a public company, however, they had to have a business case that demonstrated profit potential. At least, I think they did. You can't just tell stockholders that we'll lose money, but we're doing it anyway because it's such a cool car.

I'd love to see the business case for the GT. Has anyone here seen it?

P.S. Control arm bolts. I wouldn't be too harsh on the guy. Speaking extemporaneously in public isn't the easiest thing. I imagine he knew he misspoke.

"If you buy one and don't drive it...well, what's the point?"

Last edited:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
As a public company, however, they had to have a business case that demonstrated profit potential. At least, I think they did. You can't just tell stockholders that we'll lose money, but we're doing it anyway because it's such a cool car.

Happens all the time. Volkswagen group loses millions (supposedly $6 mil+) on each Bugatti with no prospect that it would ever make money. I'd guess Toyota has lit a large amount of money on fire allowing Lexus to produce the LFA.

As production ended, Ford stuck to the line that GT made a very small amount of money. Unlikely after the control arm replacement costs, which was well into the millions. As long as you can convince the board to approve it in the product cycle plan, you can build whatever you want. The costs of an entire program like GT are trivial in the context of a single annual marketing budget, and you can argue that no amount of marketing dollars has the same effect a car like Ford GT does.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Priceless

Gary,

Having been lucky enough to attend all 8 of Dave’s FGT rallies, I have been able to talk to (and hear presentations from) a plethora of key Ford technical and management personnel at these gatherings. Probably most so at the first rally in Detroit while the car was actually still in production. Heck at our first rally even Edsel Ford came down from his office at World HQ to meet/greet the owners and see their cars in an assembled parking lot photo shoot.

Another key player in the go/no go decision to build the FGT was related to the Rally 5 audience in North Carolina by Neil Ressler, Ford GT Chief Technical Advisor. Neil related a personal story where Bill Ford dropped by Neil’s office unexpectedly and asked Neil if production of this halo car was 1) feasible with the current technology, 2) would it really be the marquee car everyone thought it should be for the 100th anniversary and 3) could they make money on the car. As Bill Ford had a very high opinion of Neil’s technical judgment, the fate of the FGT production dream really depended on Neil’s answers. It was a very interesting story. Neil suggested to Bill (who had the pen …and a phone) Ford could and should do the project.

I have been told by a number of team members that Ford made “some” money on the FGT program. Probably not much relative to a standard production car but the FGT had a multifaceted objective. 1) Be a showpiece in the celebration of Ford’s 100th year of operation, and 2) Demonstrate to the automotive world, Ford engineers could design, build and sell at a reasonable price an “American Made” supercar capable of eclipsing the performance metrics of the then available high performance domestic offerings as well as overseas cars. Mission accomplished.

Our FGT yearbook lists the FGT on the cover of 39 car magazine covers! Not only the car but the technology which went into building this car was exceptional and talked about for years. As Dave states above, the advertising exposure this car (as well as Ford Motor Company) received in the media was absolutely priceless and its value must be recognized when trying to assess if the car actually made money. In my opinion a high water mark for Ford and I only hope someday they will outdo themselves again.:biggrin

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
This thread is but one example of why I love this Forum!!

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Well put Bill!!

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Great story Bill. Thank you. :)

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
I don't get it. Collectors don't understand GT prices; "they made to many"? I have collected many cars over the years and have done well with evaluations (Old ferraris and alfas, sold all the Ferraris with nice profits). Ford GT was collectible from day one!! (I argued the point 10 yrs ago with centerpunch before this forum). Only real american super car in last 50 yrs (You have to go back to original cobras otherwise, or maybe the viper but made way too many and still in production with each new version updated like modern ferraris).
Look ar Dinos, same production number, going for $300,000 today, same as daytonas that only 1100 were made and twice the performance! Why- Everyone wants a Dino because they are beautiful, sensuous cars. The GT is the same but quite the performer, and "only one" from american manufacturer. Prices are only going up!! The only thing that can hurt it is if they build another one. Hold on to them , will it to your children . I call it diversifying your portfolio!!

That was my line in one of these posts back about a year ago while talking about my yellow one - you stole my line ("diversifying your portfolio")...LOL

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
I have been using the line "diversifying" for years to my wife everytime I buy a "new toy!"

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Bill ,
Very cool info! Thanks! We all love any stories and info we can grab on to about these wonderful cars we are so lucky to own. Talking to team members at he rallies is a highlight! Learning and hearing about the car from so many perspectives is a real treat!Rich Robach has wonderful perspective and stories from the Wixom plant. Mark ,Dennis and Rich have great perspective and stories as well.Hopefully we can get Tom Reichenbach to make a special appearance! We are counting on Scott to pull this one off! This is the real jewel of our rallies.So if you love your GT. Come join us at the rally and hear the stories first hand!

Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
So ask Indy if Billl Ford signed his car like he signed mine.