Ford GT Mk. II revealed at Goodwood Festival of Speed

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Although they are probably way too low to drive on the street, why wouldn't a crafty owner be able to register one to drive on public roads? Are they lacking specific regulatory safety equipment or were they not certified? Sorry for my ignorance, just curious.

No VIN.

Reactions: GTMD

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Congrats to the 2019 Goodwood Festival of Speed WINNER

Video posted above in #75.

Reactions: Stef

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Although they are probably way too low to drive on the street, why wouldn't a crafty owner be able to register one to drive on public roads? Are they lacking specific regulatory safety equipment or were they not certified? Sorry for my ignorance, just curious.

As was mentioned, it doesn't have a VIN. Ford produces (and Multimatic manufactures) a line of purpose built Mustangs for the track. These cars have a serial number but not a VIN. In fact, if you go into a Ford dealer and try to buy a Mustang GT4 (or in the past a Cobrajet, etc) your salesman would most likely give you a doe-in-the-headlights look and think you were crazy. A savvy salesman would direct you to the parts department.

Like those cars, the MkII is lacking more than just a VIN. It's got none of the airbags and other compliant safety equipment. Remember alot was ditched for weight. It's not been submitted for crash testing. And that pesky EPA "Miles per gallon" rating? Not done. So lots of things prevent it from getting a title and tags.

Reactions: GTMD

fecarman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 18, 2007
As was mentioned, it doesn't have a VIN. Ford produces (and Multimatic manufactures) a line of purpose built Mustangs for the track. These cars have a serial number but not a VIN. In fact, if you go into a Ford dealer and try to buy a Mustang GT4 (or in the past a Cobrajet, etc) your salesman would most likely give you a doe-in-the-headlights look and think you were crazy. A savvy salesman would direct you to the parts department.

Like those cars, the MkII is lacking more than just a VIN. It's got none of the airbags and other compliant safety equipment. Remember alot was ditched for weight. It's not been submitted for crash testing. And that pesky EPA "Miles per gallon" rating? Not done. So lots of things prevent it from getting a title and tags.

fecarman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 18, 2007
In Michigan you could probably get an assembler's title, like a Cobra kit car. You only need correct lights, horn, brakes, wipers ect. I have not checked about an assembler's title in years but I have one for an ERA Cobra kit. Michigan State police would inspect and certify vehicle for road use. Multimatic must have a chassis # on vehicle. I used ERA's chassis # to certify my car. This was before air bags ect. Michigan does not do emission testing either. I will have to do more homework on this one.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I think people have tried that in the past and it didn't work. A Cobra is a home assembled car as a full kit, or as a component vehicle with power train added after sale by the owner. Rules now prevent Cobras from being sold by a dealer with power train installed, which the MKII would be the equivalent of and as far as I know those rules are universal. The rules about having a power train are related to a component vs. a manufacturer and this is the reason that Cobras don't have power trains. (I owned a Cobra and follow them to this day, as it is the only car that I could probably drive now). I doubt you'd be able to slip this one through a crack.

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
We were looking at a Lotus Exige that actually had a vin but found out it does not show up as legal for road insurance in U.S. Basically, if you ever get in a wreck, the insurance company is not liable even if you were able to finagle insurance and you could be personally on the hook for a lot - especially if someone got hurt. My bet is this would fall under that same category.

Reactions: Special K and GTMD

daytrayd

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 23, 2010
Austin, TX
MkII ftw!

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal

Thanks guys. Makes perfect sense.

Gary

GT Owner
May 11, 2006
Festus, Missouri
Thanks guys. Makes perfect sense.
Solved by a D tag.

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
Here are some up close shot of this beast

Reactions: daytrayd

LOVE CHP

GT Owner
May 30, 2007
Central Calif.
I think people have tried that in the past and it didn't work. A Cobra is a home assembled car as a full kit, or as a component vehicle with power train added after sale by the owner. Rules now prevent Cobras from being sold by a dealer with power train installed, which the MKII would be the equivalent of and as far as I know those rules are universal. The rules about having a power train are related to a component vs. a manufacturer and this is the reason that Cobras don't have power trains. (I owned a Cobra and follow them to this day, as it is the only car that I could probably drive now). I doubt you'd be able to slip this one through a crack.
Also probably too low to qualify in most states.

SPI

Nov 28, 2018
Chicago
We were looking at a Lotus Exige that actually had a vin but found out it does not show up as legal for road insurance in U.S. Basically, if you ever get in a wreck, the insurance company is not liable even if you were able to finagle insurance and you could be personally on the hook for a lot - especially if someone got hurt. My bet is this would fall under that same category.

It must be the Lotus Exige Cup Car.

I would not recommend anyone to drive REAL RACE CARS with cages for the Road. Even with dealer tags it is unsafe because of the ROLL Cage. I have seen some street legal cars with built cages in cars and drive them on the street. SCARY. This will cause more than a headache.

I suppose if you want to wear a HELMET and your Harness it would be safer but if you do get into an accident you will have a lot of explaining to do everyone.

Last edited:

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
What a spectacular way to finalize this generation of GT. Congrats to FMC and MM. You have built a car that goes to the very limit and then moved the bar just for the heck of it. True racers.

Vince H

Reactions: Stef and Special K

treynor

GT Owner
Dec 1, 2011
Step up boys. Wonder how many if any of these touches will be offered in the remaining production cars.

I'm getting chassis #2 🥳 ETA December 2019 - fingers crossed that it arrives in time for the Buttonwillow Time Trials!

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Solved by a D tag.

I don't think a dealer tag gets around the fact that the car isn't legal for road use.

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Upside to buying this car is that it can't be registered...hence no sales tax which is 6.25% here in Texas.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Wonder if they are available through the retail channels (vs through Ford)

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
Upside to buying this car is that it can't be registered...hence no sales tax which is 6.25% here in Texas.
WINNING!

Reactions: Cobrar