Evo Magazine compares the Ford GT!! Vs.......

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
the McLaren 12C, Ferrari 458, Noble M600, Mercedes SLS and Porsche 911 Turbo S.

Full test, 5 drivers, 5 days, 6 cars, 1000 miles and a track.

I think it's pretty damned cool that the Ford GT, FIVE years out of production, still ranks being tested with these brand new, state of the art cars. :thumbsup

Looking forward to getting my copy.

(spoiler - the Macca does not win. Neither does the GT :thumbsdow) :lol

Attachments

• Evo Cover.jpg
    Evo Cover.jpg
    323.2 KB · Views: 785

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Which issue would it be? There are some great cars in that lineup. Some of my favorites. Very interesting indeed that the GT, at 5 1/2 yrs out of production, is in the line up.

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
It's the August issue (#159). It won't be on the newstands for a bit.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Thanks. Might have to scan it in for folks. Should be interesting.

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
this issue is a huge bone of contention on the McLaren forum. THe 458 wins (I think) but apparently its a ringer - several hundred kilos lighter than stock, sticky tires, re-flashed electronics etc. The rumor is that Ferrari threatened to stop providing their vehicles to the magazine unless they got a good result, hence the non-stock Italia. I didn't know the FGT was in the line-up. I'm off to UK tomorrow - can't wait to pick up a copy!

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
Great info....looking forward to picking up a copy here!

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
WOW as stated, a 5-6 year old car, in that mix??? Dont get me wrong, but wonder if the GT was last, or is the GT modded? The GT is the only one I would own. Well if someone gave, me the McLaren, or the 458, I would sell them to fund a GT. I know, I'm going against where things are headed, eventually, but I want to shift the car Im driving with an old school clutch, and I dont care if its "slower".

enrico

GT Owner
Jul 20, 2010
London, UK
I read the article while waiting for my caterham to ge fixed, the gt goes head to head vs the Macca and noble m600 in the test. They wanted to compare no-frills of the noble and gt vs the electronics of the Macca on the welsh road... In the final verdict one of the tester (barker if memory serves me well) actually chooses the gt as best car of the pack, all the others pick the 458.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Looking forward to seeing the write up .
“Its the one"

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
(spoiler - the Macca does not win. Neither does the GT :thumbsdow) :lol
The GT did better in the January 2006 edition of EVO. The GT beat the M6, Gallardo SE, F430, V8 Vantage, Cayman S, SLK55 AMG, and TVR to be named the EVO Car of the Year.

"Everyone, to a man, was completely blown away by the Ford GT... Within a couple of hundred yards I thought the GT was something really special. Half a dozen corners later, I knew it was the winner. In more than 15 years that never happened to me before."
-EVO Jan '06

Senna1994

Oct 19, 2010
Orange County, CA
As a Ferrari F430 cannot agree more with Evo back in 2006 for picking the Ford GT. Look forward to the new EVO as I am divided on selling the 430 and getting a 458 or keeping the 430 and getting a Ford GT.

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
As a Ferrari F430 cannot agree more with Evo back in 2006 for picking the Ford GT. Look forward to the new EVO as I am divided on selling the 430 and getting a 458 or keeping the 430 and getting a Ford GT.
I'm sure the 458 is very nice, but if you were to go the other route, once you drive the GT, you won't keep the 430 as I had a Challenge Stradale and it didn't even come close to the GT in terms of power and handling and high speed stability, but you'll have to do the usual mods to the GT though - shocks, tires, Whipple, exhaust, and tune. In the years I owned the CS, I have never gotten a thumbs up from others, but I usually get multiple thumbs up every time I take the GT out.

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Look forward to the new EVO as I am divided on selling the 430 and getting a 458 or keeping the 430 and getting a Ford GT.

What a terrible predicament to be in!?!:biggrin

A case could be made for both choices and the opinions would fill volumes, but for me it would end quickly.

Volume 1, line 1: FGT vs. 458 - 6 speed Ricardo manual transaxle/G@damn flappy paddle gearbox.

*game over*

Besides, there is something harmonious about the two sharing a garage given the history of the brands. Wish I had a 430.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Lets face it .We are all cars guys and would have one of every car we admire!
The reality however is to be happy with what you have and appreciate all the others.
But isn’t it a nice feeling knowing we have the coolest car ever made!
“IT’S THE ONE”
OK I’m bias!

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
"Volume 1, line 1: FGT vs. 458 - 6 speed Ricardo manual transaxle/G@damn flappy paddle gearbox."

Made me laugh out loud with that!

rdjmp

GT Owner
Feb 6, 2011
DFW Texas
I'm sure the 458 is very nice, but if you were to go the other route, once you drive the GT, you won't keep the 430 as I had a Challenge Stradale and it didn't even come close to the GT in terms of power and handling and high speed stability, but you'll have to do the usual mods to the GT though - shocks, tires, Whipple, exhaust, and tune. In the years I owned the CS, I have never gotten a thumbs up from others, but I usually get multiple thumbs up every time I take the GT out.

Yep; Get the GT to go with the 430. Then after you play with the GT a while sell the 430 to finance the other GT you're going to want to buy to go with the first which will have become your favorite driver. If you're already a multiple-car guy you are almost certain to become a multiple-GT guy with a hopped up driver and a pristine keeper. It's inevitable for our sort.

Senna1994

Oct 19, 2010
Orange County, CA
Guys, thanks for all the input, I have been hesitant to pull the trigger up till now. But I think the FORD GT is the way to go.

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
If thats true that Ferrari insisted on a "good showing" in exchange for supplying future cars to EVO all I can say is some things never change. Typical Ferrari "blue blood" attitude and snobibshness. Just like Enzo pulling out of Monza Coppa Europa Internat'l in 1963 resulting in the race in the race being cancelled to keep Shelby from winning the FIA world championship. Typical Ferrari. You must play their way or they threaten to take their marbles and go home.

The 458 is an amazing car. It should compete on its own merits without help.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
If thats true that Ferrari insisted on a "good showing" in exchange for supplying future cars to EVO all I can say is some things never change. Typical Ferrari "blue blood" attitude and snobibshness. Just like Enzo pulling out of Monza Coppa Europa Internat'l in 1963 resulting in the race in the race being cancelled to keep Shelby from winning the FIA world championship. Typical Ferrari. You must play their way or they threaten to take their marbles and go home.

The 458 is an amazing car. It should compete on its own merits without help.

Agree 100%

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Guys, thanks for all the input, I have been hesitant to pull the trigger up till now. But I think the FORD GT is the way to go.

There's no "think" in it....just do it!