Every Ford GT Owner's Original Dream - MUST SEE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tony h

GT Owner
Jun 16, 2010
United Kingdom
Wow, fantastic.

I have some old motorshow mags from 65 (may have been 67 was only a kid then) when the GT was available for sale - the quote read "not the sort of car to take Aunty out to tea in". Wish I had an Aunty that had bought one!!

Anyone know how to get the current model to sound like that - especially on idle. Sounds absolutely amazing!!

Thanks for sharing.

Tony H

STUNTS

FORD GT OWNER & LITTLE TIMMYS DAD!
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
good stuff!!

red gt 1442

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 23, 2005
NY Metro Area
JOEY, While at the Barn, I spoke to Lee Holman, and he was interested in coming to VIR, since he is just 2 hours away........I believe he will show up with his GT 40...............

Gino

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Yep, he's a member of the track.I will forward an email to dbk/chip, he left me a message yesterday and thinks he wants to come....thats dbk's call, plus its during the week, but good call will forward to dbk/chip......thanks jaws...gtjoey1314

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Tony h, the one that comes close is the full ford racing exhaust, I drove one with that set up with the gtguys when they were still being built. VERY, VERY LOUD, Practically illegal in most states, but loud.....
Caution, your neighbors windows will all be broken within a quarter MILE....:lolgtjoey1314

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
HOLY SMOKES, THAT WAS THE COOLEST. Thank You Joey!!!!!!

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
Thanks for this Joey. The stuff dreams are made of for car geeks.
Ironically, I was heading to my son's fall baseball game the weekend before, and what blows by? A yellow GT40, a kit car for sure, or so I thought. When I drove up behind him in my wagon, the license plate said GT40 MkV, so I pulled next to the driver (steering wheel on the right side!) and asked if it was a Safir MkV car. He replied yes, and that he was on the way to the Birtish Car Show at a local college. We exchanged business cards, and I called him early in the following week and went to see his shop where he rebuilds British race car engines (Cosworth, Lotus, BMC, etc.). At the shop he has the GT40and a killer 289 '64 Cobra race car.
His MkV is an early 1966 MkI style; original rear cover, not the flared out '68-'69 body nor the multi vented MkIIs. You can't believe how small the car looks compared to our GTs; the interior is CRAMPED. Any passenger would literally rub shoulders with the driver. Foot space is adequate, head room is tight, especially if one's taller than 6', and getting in revolves around stepping onto the gun wale (gas tank), sliding both feet down gingerly around the steering wheel, and lowering into the seat.
His car has a stroked 302 to 331ci, with 4 downdraft Webers; sounds AMAZING but is verrrry loud inside. Earplugs probably a good idea if going for a longer drive. Total dry weight; about 2000 lbs.
When the front wheel cover (storage lid for car cover in our cars) was lifted out, there is basically nothing there but suspension parts, and coolant lines. In the original cars, an actual spare tire had be in there. Similarly, with the rear clam shell open, one can see how bare bones these race cars were. It should be noted how great a job recreating the GT40 into the GT the Ford team did; ours are merely civilized-11/10ths versions of the greatest long distance streetable race cars ever made. The MkV's owner, Barry Sale commented how big the GT was in comparison, but also that it was absolutely livable.
I'll try and post some pix on my next visit as I was camera free the day we got together.

GTNJ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 21, 2006
State of Confusion
That's probably why Joey was arrested that day. Let's see speeding, disturbing the peace and running out of pastries.

tony h

GT Owner
Jun 16, 2010
United Kingdom
gtjoey

Kool.....want that sound. :thumbsup Not sure if we have any laws like that in UK.

Dont like my neighbours anyway so if I can break their windows and set their car alarms off, even better :lol

Dont really mean that....

Tony h

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
I saw a car just like that one at the Centennial. They were asking 4 mil to build a continuation car then. Too cool.

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Usually I'm never at a loss for words. :wink But this time I don't even want to add to what you're gonna see. Enjoy this once in a lifetime video - I DID!

Enjoy!

GT Joey 1314 / everything else ... AND loving it!

p.s. thank you once again to Lee Holman for this once in a lifetime opportunity!!!!!!!

http://thesurfaceofthings.com/gtpreviews/5pm/[/QUOTE
Guys , with Pebble Beach, Monterey, The Rally , detroit and 7,000 miles in a 2 week stretch, I had to get all pumped up all over again....WATCH and if you get excited just pick up the keys and join us.........GTJOEY1314

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Dude, enough. QUIT BUMPING OLD THREADS, NEW THREADS. IT IS RIDICULOUS. IT ANNOYS PEOPLE, AND NOT JUST ME BECAUSE I'M A CURMUDGEON!

Status
Not open for further replies.