Emission Code PO-442 dash light-anyone else

BillyRay

GT Owner
May 5, 2008
Phoenix
Boys,
1st of all thanks to Rich for helping with the diagnosis!
I have the car at the dealer as we speak for the dash light and the expensive oil change. Anyone have a emission leak and was the cost in fixing the problem? Rich states is very well could be the filler neck valve where the leak may be coming from.
The car is an 05 out of warranty with 3900k miles. Billy

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
*** P0442 EVAPORATIVE EMISSION SYSTEM LEAK DETECTED (small leak) 0.040" G (m) M (m)

Filler neck could be it

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
The emissions warranty should be loanger than 3/36. Ask the dealer. I think it is at least 5/50 for anything relating to emissions.

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Welcome to the world of the filler neck replacement...........read ALL THE POSTS! gtjoey 1314/0004/?:thumbsup

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Billy, there is a document posted here, I think by BlackIce, covering the extended time for emissions warranties. You should read the discussion and print it out and take it to the dealership with you. Our concensus was it's probably covered, but you can be the guinea pig (and maybe save yourself some BIG bucks).

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Regardless of what the problem turns out to be, the cost of fixing is covered under the Federal 8 year or 80,000 emissions warranty. See here: http://www.epa.gov/otaq/consumer/warr95fs.txt

That said, the most likely case is the filler neck. This is covered under federal law because the leak is allowing harmful elements to "leak" out into the environment.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Kendall,
If someone brings their FGT to you for this replacement, how do you handle the claim?
Thanks. I am most curious if you attack it or send them to a dealer.
Cheers,
daniel

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
There is so much churn in the auto business, Daniel, that this has become increasingly more difficult. I had a friendly nearby dealer that knows me and the work we do and would allow us to do the work and he would warranty the defective part through Ford. Unfortunately, there is risk in this for the dealer in that they are not supposed to allow warranty work to be done by a non-Ford dealership - aka Cool Tech. So, the paperwork would be submitted showing that they did the repair... Even in this scenario, our labor costs were paid by the GT owner. Although I never thought I was taking advantage of Ford, it is still an awkward arrangement and as my contact has moved on, I am uncertain about being able to do warranty work going forward. (It doesn't mean I won't ask.)

This presents a conundrum for owners - often times having to choose between free, but inexperienced and a potentially costly alternative for experienced GT labor.

Please don't get me wrong. I am NOT putting myself above any dealership mechanic or their skills and capabilities. Undoubtedly, there are a lot of good mechanics out there and many better than me. However, there just isn't any good substitute for having done something multiple times and knowing the in's and out's of the procedure.

Sorry for the long-winded answer. The silver-lining is that our friends at Ford have done such a remarkable job in designing and building this car that warranty repairs are really very, very minimal - especially when compared to any other vehicle in this class.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Kendall, It's OK, I'll put you on a pedestal above most Ford service.

H

HHGT

Kendall, It's OK, I'll put you on a pedestal above most Ford service.

I second that but I'll have to turn the pedestal upside down.:willy:willy:willy

Should have not made that wise ass remark...Payback is a bitch Kendall.:rofl:rofl:rofl

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
I second that but I'll have to turn the pedestal upside down.:willy:willy:willy

Should have not made that wise ass remark...Payback is a bitch Kendall.:rofl:rofl:rofl

from a man wo/ an ASS :rofl putting the pedestal in Bimmer mode eh Sam?

BillyRay

GT Owner
May 5, 2008
Phoenix
Filler neck it is..

Thanks for the info, I said told the service rep at Power Ford here in Scottsdale AZ that this should be covered. He said he would check this out and let me know. He states it is about about 15hrs of labor hours.

Billy

Aug 25, 2006
Thanks for the info, I said told the service rep at Power Ford here in Scottsdale AZ that this should be covered. He said he would check this out and let me know. He states it is about about 15hrs of labor hours.

Billy

First of all I am glad that they are willing to research the warranty

Now as for time to complete the process; please ask them if they have done it before. I ask because there are no flat rate times for these gals and the 15 hours as presented is IMO extreme.

If completed by the book then the fender will be removed however the process (as shared by others) can be completed without removing the fender and in either case IMO this is not a scope and magnitude repair; the most awkward part is removing the inner fender liner and then add to this the time to methodically wrap all of the exposed at risk surfaces.

Just make certain that they in fact have completed the process before

Takes care

Shadowman

GT38

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 19, 2008
Glendale, Arizona

Billy

If you don't already know Dwayne Burke, the Service Manager at Power Ford North Scottsdale, you should have a friendly chat with him regardless of whether or not your current problem is covered under warranty. He's treated me well. :wink

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
We have a thread stuck for certified examples of good service. It is important to update this thread and give accolades where due.:thumbsup

GT38

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 19, 2008
Glendale, Arizona
We have a thread stuck for certified examples of good service. It is important to update this thread and give accolades where due.:thumbsup

Done! :cheers

BillyRay

GT Owner
May 5, 2008
Phoenix
Smoke Test

Guys I guess the warranty company has to send an inspector to make sure the problem is filler neck. I guess the inspector is there now so they are doing a smoke test to find exact problem.
Thanks for the name Dwayne Burkes, so far I,am dealing with a guy named Robert Pence and Mech. Dexter. The people I talk to I find these filler necks should be a RECALL!!
We will see how long this takes. Billy

GT38

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 19, 2008
Glendale, Arizona
Guys I guess the warranty company has to send an inspector to make sure the problem is filler neck. I guess the inspector is there now so they are doing a smoke test to find exact problem.
Thanks for the name Dwayne Burkes, so far I,am dealing with a guy named Robert Pence and Mech. Dexter. The people I talk to I find these filler necks should be a RECALL!!
We will see how long this takes. Billy

You're in good hands with Robert and Dexter, but Dwayne carries a bigger stick as Service Manager, of course. Even if everything goes smoothly with this problem without Dwayne's involvement, it's worth the time to introduce yourself to him and talk about cool cars - just ask the very nice lady at the cashier's desk to call him up!