Dusty Powder Coated Wheels.. new pads?

GTFUN

GT Owner
Aug 19, 2009
Atlanta,Ga
I'm finding my powder coated wheels dust up VERY fast and can't keep them clean.
Is this brake dust or are they a magnet for dirt?

Any suggestions for replacing with different pads?

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
A pad change will help a lot, the Ferodos (OEM) are quite dusty. The Mintex brand Stillen offers will help. I use Pagids currently, which is a touch more track oriented, but noisy.

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
Its the pads. For street use, I can highly recommend Duralast Cmax Ceramic pads front and rear to all but eliminate the dust problem. They are also quiet and stop just as well as the OEM Brembo pads in day to day use. They do not last as long, I got 20k a set including a few track days on my GT500 but replacements are free when they wear out and easy 30 minute change. Also, rotor wear is nearly non-existant. I have them on my GT now and the wheels stay clean as long as the rest of the car.

Oh, I also use Armor All Wheel Protectant on the wheels when I installed the pads. Makes what dust does stick wash off with a simple rinse, no scrubbing.

Just one man's opinion that works for me.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Can anyone remember what that product TimCantwell was using at Rally 6 was? The little brake dust there was came right off his wheels instantly with a wipe, whatever it was.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Oh yeah, forgot to mention, I also run black wheels, which helps more than any pad change.....

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Can anyone remember what that product TimCantwell was using at Rally 6 was? The little brake dust there was came right off his wheels instantly with a wipe, whatever it was.

I think I am using that stuff. It work! I drove to Mojave and back and hardly any dust on the wheels!

Thought I didn't do any mile runs which would have tested the product more throughly.

I did spray it on with the wheels off. I could tell where the stuff was missing had dust on the wheels. Those are the places I touched when mouting the wheels onto the car.

GTFUN

GT Owner
Aug 19, 2009
Atlanta,Ga
Oh yeah, forgot to mention, I also run black wheels, which helps more than any pad change.....

Me too... but Iv'e been at lot's of car shows lately and need to clean them after my drive over.. AutoZone carries the Duralast so I think I'll try those.. thanks for the advice guys! And Andy I hope you will be at the next Rally so I can get a ride again..
That ride was insane at SLC :)

DWR46

GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 20, 2008
Hawk HPS. Great brakes, easy on rotors, very little dust. I have them on the GT, Vipers, Astons, and lots of others. Very pleased.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Yeah, the OEM's for sure are dusty. Ill be there at rally 7, havent missed one yet... Looking forward to it!

Me too... but Iv'e been at lot's of car shows lately and need to clean them after my drive over.. And Andy I hope you will be at the next Rally so I can get a ride again..
That ride was insane at SLC :)

sandman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 10, 2006
Gardnerville, Nv.
Michelin brake dust repellent work well as does rejex.

Lorenzo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2008
U.S.A.
Michelin brake dust repellent work well as does rejex.

Note Taken.

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
Armor All Wheel Protectant. I find it works quite well. Lots of videos here .....

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=armor+all+wheel+protectant

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
I think I am going to try a set of the Duralast also as I still have the OEM's and yes they produce a LOT of dust

Are the front and rear pads the same as I can only find the part # for the front from Duralast ?

Last edited:

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
Yes, front and rear the same. part number 1001 for the brembo calipers. Same part number for GT500 fronts too.

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
Yes, front and rear the same. part number 1001 for the brembo calipers. Same part number for GT500 fronts too.

Thank You

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I think I am using that stuff. It work! I drove to Mojave and back and hardly any dust on the wheels!

Thought I didn't do any mile runs which would have tested the product more throughly.

I did spray it on with the wheels off. I could tell where the stuff was missing had dust on the wheels. Those are the places I touched when mouting the wheels onto the car.

What's the name & where do you get it?

Ed

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
What's the name & where do you get it?

Ed

Subscribing because I want to know. Also, Ed what is the name of the spray you use to keep the rest of your GT so clean?

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I've heard lots of different opinions about the brake dust "repellant." It didn't reply squat for me but it may have made dust removal a less challenging task. I think black wheels is probably the best defense.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I've heard lots of different opinions about the brake dust "repellant." It didn't reply squat for me but it may have made dust removal a less challenging task.

Maybe you just weren't asking it the right questions! :lol

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
Installed my Penske shocks I bought from Alex and also installed the Duralast Gold Ceramic brake pads - will be trying them out later on today